The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Black and White Surprise (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
Does anyone still make decent sets of these?

Thanks!
Dan.

Yes, A German Company.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Thanks Wayne! You wouldn’t know the URL for that company?

Dan.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Poker Chip Polka is a cheap plastic version that works great. It is actually the version I carried. It seems to be available from a few dealers-
https://www.usnovelty.com/products/poker-chip-polka
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
This thread brings back memories. I taught this trick (it was the Kamillion Koins version) to Muhammad Ali when his Parkinson's had progressed to the point where he could only do a few tricks. He had lost most of his digital dexterity and was experiencing shaking. So we were always on the lookout at the shop for tricks which could be done with blunt motor skills. He was able to perform this one by placing them on the table and putting his hands over them rather than having them in his hands. He fooled a lot of kids in town and it was a joy to see him continue to share magic despite the challenges. He was always The Champ!

If you know of a magician facing similar challenges, this may make a great gift for them.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Very cool story Frank. The many things we take for granted. We all have stories of people that have participated in our shows and found they escape their limitations through the experience we facilitate. I had one young lady who was severely burned in a fire who helped me with a routine. Her Mom was in tears and told me afterward that was the first time her daughter had smiled and laughed since her ordeal. I obviously did not know the back story and was profoundly reminded that gifts we are given with an audience and so often unaware. I apologize as this is off the topic of finding a good source for a quality B&W Surprise but this routine is obviously one that plays under most any environment.

Dan.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
From what I understand, Ali would show how a trick was done immediately after completing the performance. That was because, it appears that his religion did not allow for deception so he had to eliminate that by exposing the method.

I have seen him do that with a TT. After I did, I looked into the matter to see why he did that and then learned about the situation.

Can anyone else verify what I am saying?
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2022, Magical Moments wrote:
From what I understand, Ali would show how a trick was done immediately after completing the performance. That was because, it appears that his religion did not allow for deception so he had to eliminate that by exposing the method.

I have seen him do that with a TT. After I did, I looked into the matter to see why he did that and then learned about the situation.

Can anyone else verify what I am saying?

The majority of the time I saw him do tricks for kids and families around Berrien Springs, Michigan he did not expose the secrets. I only remember seeing him expose a trick once (vanishing handkerchief). But he would stress to his audiences that they were tricks and that there is "no voodoo". This was the late 1980s, so his approach to dealing with the "deceiving" conundrum may have changed from earlier times. Of course, all of this was around the Main Street Magic shop there so it was a different environment. Everyone in town knew about the Cao's magic shop, including kids, so no one would have possibly thought it was real. About that time he started to have speech issues so that may have changed things too.
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
112 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Has anyone used the Black and White Surprise that is sold under the Tannen's name? I am wondering if it what appears to be a well made copy, or if they have obtained the rights to the initial effect? It looks like what everyone has described as the set from Denmark, but I seriously doubt it is that.

https://tannens.myshopify.com/products/b......surprise
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

I had the Tannen's B&W Surprise and was disappointed. It could have been just the SKU that I received but the mags was ineffective and couldn't even do what they needed to do. I love the routine and use this for many-many years and mostly wanted a backup or something that might have any improvements. Tannen's customer service was very good to work with.

Dan.
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
112 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2024, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
I had the Tannen's B&W Surprise and was disappointed. It could have been just the SKU that I received but the mags was ineffective and couldn't even do what they needed to do. I love the routine and use this for many-many years and mostly wanted a backup or something that might have any improvements. Tannen's customer service was very good to work with.

Dan.

Did you get a replacement? Was it the same, or did it correct the problems you had?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Black and White Surprise (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL