The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Portland Magic Jam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zack Smith
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Zack Smith
Hey all,

Just wanted to say that the Portland Magic Jam this last weekend was awesome! I learned a ton from our great lecturers Aaron Fisher, David Regal, and Steve Dobson (just to name a few). It was a great weekend and I hope you all get a chance to come on out to Portland next year!

Zack

PS Sorry, wasn't sure where to post this.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Ah magic at a truck stop... which as it turned out, was a good idea. Though by Sunday I was wishing the chiropractor was open.

It ran pretty smoothly for a first convention too. And the 'dealer's room' was one very well appointed, portable magic shop. A huge collection of tricks, lots of different decks (I bought yellow, and green Bicycles and some Richard Turner traditional cut), and a good selection of books, including the new Krenzel book from Hermetic Press, and Serious Silly.

Highlights:
Aaron Fisher on Red Bull
Chatting with Nathan Kranzo
Seeing Steve Dobson lecture - the Q and A with the audience was great
Watching people in the audience who had never seen Regal do the Cups and Balls
The truck stop's Sunday brunch buffet
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
Steve Dobson is a great teacher. If only I still lived in the northwest.
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
Quote:
On 2009-09-28 13:58, wsduncan wrote:

Highlights:

The truck stop's Sunday brunch buffet

Who doesn't like spaghetti and alfredo at 7am!
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Yeah, it was a bit odd to see Lemon Pepper Tilapia six feet from the waffles...

Still, you have to give them credit for putting pasta salads alongside of the Cheeze Danish.
andyvan3226
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of andyvan3226
What an awesome weekend...

Dan and Greg worked the whole weekend to make it all go so smooth. You guys rock!

Some highlights..

Aaron Fisher got my half pass working - with exactly two sentences.

Steve Dobson must have a two of clubs in his pockets for just those kinds of situations. He freaked out the whole room on just demonstrating a classic force "out." Craaaazy...

I snagged David Regal's new effect "Passport" and have been working it up since the convention. Total winner of a method and the presentation has a cool little hook built right in...

I had a great time at the Sunday brunch (discussed in great detail above) with Bill Duncan. Sounds like Bill and Chris missed out on the desert table -- noob move, guys...

Andy

P.S. Calen -- Your X finger hurt my brain at 3 a.m. Ouch...
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I can't believe that of over 100 people at the convention, only four of use are on The Café.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Hey Andy,
Thank you for putting Steve on the spot with that two of clubs. That was an amazing "out." I swore to myself that he had a card index in his pocket, but no, he's just that good. I really hope that us Portland guys can get it together to pay you seattle guys a visit soon.

-Burke
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Andy,
You should explain what happened for the folks at home, who missed it.

Burke, we have a rare Michael Weber lecture coming up Nov. 7th. You guys should plan on coming up for that.

Michael Weber Lecture
2:00pm
General Admission: $25
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Quote:
On 2009-09-30 02:00, wsduncan wrote:
I can't believe that of over 100 people at the convention, only four of use are on The Café.

Maybe five. Hellava time.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Unfortunately for you guys, Mr Weber is also going to come to Portland. really looking forward it though!
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Crap, that's right. Lee lives in Oregon doesn't he? It figures he'd book Weber there too.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Actually, Lee's going to miss Weber (he's been in Toronto for the last year and a half). Seattle has the Weber lecture, as well, so you won't miss a thing, Bill.

Crazy, hectic week since I returned from Portland, but I didn't want to miss out on adding my kudos regarding the Jam. What a terrific weekend!

Lowlights:
The uptight soccer mom who tried to censor Aaron Smile

Highlights:
Pretty much everything else.

Looking forward to next year!!
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I know Weber's coming here; see my earlier post on the date and time. I was hoping to entice some of the Portland gang up north, but since they get the same lectures...

We're gonna have to come up with something else.

Anybody got any pictures of the Jam? Brian posted about 60 on his Facebook page.
strmagiceet
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of strmagiceet
WOW,

Where can I get updated on these local events? I've been sitting on my ass at home waiting for something like this. I'm going to magic con in 2010, but wow, whens the next event?

I'm located in Portland too, been a long time Café member.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Do you know about PSM? The portland society of magicians?
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey guys, I'm planning on a get together with Steve in November, but after the 7th. I will give him a call this week and talk it over. I totally want to get in touch with all the people I met at the Portland Magic Jam. It was truly an incredible convention. Who can forget Aaron Fisher running around in circles on the Red Bull, and getting that nipple twister from the uptight soccer mom's kid? Good times...

Check out the Jam pictures on my facebook page. Smile

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=143479&id=547187494
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Portland Magic Jam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL