The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Up the Ante by Martyn Smith (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Martyn contacted me about a month ago and asked if I would like to look at his new pdf. I did so with the warning the I wouldn't be able to write a proper review for quite a while (besides starting school again, and being on tour with Jason England, I was busy organizing a special Erdnase project).

Martyn was ok with that.

So, I finally got around to reading the pdf and although I didn't have the nicely edited version (I got an early draft) I was still very impressed with what I saw.

The routine essentially allows you to let a spectator (or group of spectators) cut the deck numerous times, shuffle the cards, and then without you ever having to touch the cards you proceed to make wagers on various outcomes: first on the colors of some cards, then on suits, and finally values.

And, taking a page out of Martyn's book, here's the "Salient Points"
Pros
1. Routine is virtually self working.
2. Clearly explained.
3. Good layout, clear instructions. My copy didn't have photos (I didn't think it needed it though) but the newer copy has them.

Cons
1. Routine is long. Luckily, you can shorten it easily- Martyn gives you the tools to do so. Nice!
2. Missing a major credit- Steve Mayhew's Angel's May Shuffle. Other then that there seems to be a pretty good effort to give credit where credit is due.

Final verdict?
It's a well written booklet with some interesting ideas. The ideas are not new but the combination of them all is (to my knowledge).

Recommended.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
My thoughts on - Up The Ante.

The effect is self working, foolproof & works flawlessly – it’s simple & straight forward.

It uses a normal deck of cards; nothing to add nor takeaway and NO Gimmicks of any sort. The outcome, as impossible as it seems, works 100% of the time. At the end of the effect the deck can be handed out for inspection.

The premise of Up The Ante is based & revolves around gamblers betting. Up The Ante is a very well constructed routine with some clever thinking gone into it.

The beauty of the effect is, its fully hands off and self working. From the very beginning of the effect the spectator handles the cards. The magician never touches the deck. The magic happens in their own hands.

As the routine progresses the effect becomes more & more interesting. Suspense is gradually built-up and more spectators begin to get involved. During the entire course of the routine, the Ante keeps the spectators fully involved & engrossed. The effect has been very well structured with complete audience involvement.

For me, this effect has played extremely well for people from all walks of life. I have also performed the ‘Ante’ for professional magicians and they too were blown away.

The overall impact of the effect leaves the audience wondering & thinking - How’s that possible? – IMPOSSIBLE!

You're sure going to love this self working effect.

Overall it’s a brilliant & stunning piece of magic. Great value for your money - highly recommended.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Where is it?

j
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
John,

you don't think we'd tell you where to find such a good routine do you?

Common man!

Actually, I have no idea. Martyn, where does someone purchase your pdf?

Ben

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train

Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
P.s.
I'm disappointed that they didn't use "Ante Up" by MOP for the demo music... Smile

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-09-30 10:47, Ben Train wrote:
John,

you don't think we'd tell you where to find such a good routine do you?

Common man!

Actually, I have no idea. Martyn, where does someone purchase your pdf?

Ben

I just wanted to know so I could keep it from other people! Smile

J
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Thanks, Ben and Ustaad! I appreciate your comments very much and hope that people take on board what a lovely little effect this is (Well, I would say that, wouldn't I?!) Am rather brain-dead right now, having just got in from having flown overnight from australia for 14 hours plus - so thanks, Ben, too, for pointing out just where this may be downloaded. There is also a booklet version now available as well and I am told that Murphys will also distribute this.

Enjoy! zzzzzzzzz..........................!!
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Martyn, I got your routine (as you know) already quite a long time ago. I've performed it meanwhile quite often and can only say: it is very very strong and a lot of fun for the audience! There is a booklet now also? Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Hi Jan, yes, there is a booklet version out now as well but it will contain the same info as the download version. Am glad that you are enjoying the routine so much!

Ben says in his review that it is quite a long trick but that I give the tools to shorten it; personally I think that this is a routine to really engage the audience and get some good banter going and is actually quite a bonus, IMHO, though it may be shortened. Food for thought.

Cheers

Martyn
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey Marty,

as I mentioned, it's true- you did give the tools you need to shorten it. (In fact, by using a presentational ploy I first discovered with a Stewart James Trick, you could perform this entire effect in under 2 minutes if you really wanted).

But it's important to note that "long" is not necessarily a disparaging term...

:)

Ben

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Ben,
What are these "tools" you speak of? Are they in the manuscript? Or via online discussion somewhere? I have the download version and if he goes over how to shorten the routine I must have missed it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Dave,

I will pm you with some ideas to shorten it.

Regards

Martyn
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Ben is correct that the tools are there, within the manuscript, to shorten the routine. You will need to apply a little thought to what was written as I didn't telegraph it with "to shorten the routine do this and this etc.." but the tools are definitely there. If you (the general 'you', not just Dave V )are not sure about it and you want a little document highlighting this then pm me with your e-mail and I will forward it to you.

Regards

Martyn
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Thanks! The PM helped a lot. Yes, the answers are there. With a little steering in the right direction I see that now.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Up the Ante by Martyn Smith (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL