The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2009 entrée: John Bannon » » Thought-Of-Card-Across » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Hi John,

In an earlier post you said you are currently working on a couple of Jack Carpenter things, and a 'Thought-Of-Cards-Across' routine. Well - I am really interested in this plot and was wondering which version you were currently working on? Unless of course it is a version that hasn't been published...

All the best, and I can't wait for B.A.D!

Joe
John Bannon
View Profile
V.I.P.
152 Posts

Profile of John Bannon
Joe:

Which version? All of them. And none of them. Seriously, in investigating a new plot like this, I research all of the diferent method and approaches I can find. I then deconstruct the elements of the various methods. What parts are strong? Weak? Logical? Illogical? Then I start to put the pieces back together again. Often I end up with a number of different avenues. I am still in the working stages, but am beginning to zero in on a particular combination. Not quite there yet. Soon . . . (hopefully) . . . very soon.

John
"And although this art is so wonderful, still it is held in no honor . . . The reasons are various, it seems to me; first, the art is concerned with useless matters; second, it is practiced by men of low degree."

G. Cardano on card tricks, De Subtilitate, 1554

www.johnbannonmagic.com
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
It's probably not the not sort of thing you are looking for (it involves two decks) but I really like 'Colour Me Jordan' by Roy Walton. Another nice one was by Harry Lorayne which I came across in volume two of his Classic Collection. It is called 'The Fascinating Travellers' and was published originally in 'Afterthoughts'.

All the best,

Joe
John Bannon
View Profile
V.I.P.
152 Posts

Profile of John Bannon
Joe,

Thanks. I did not remember the HL trick. I'll check it out.

John
"And although this art is so wonderful, still it is held in no honor . . . The reasons are various, it seems to me; first, the art is concerned with useless matters; second, it is practiced by men of low degree."

www.johnbannonmagic.com
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
John,

I think I remember reading, perhaps on your site or maybe in an interview, that you were working on a larger collection of material on the "thought of" plot. Am I remembering correctly and, if so, is it still in the works?

Scott
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
I was thinking the same thing, Scott. And I remember being very excited when I initially heard of the project. It just sounds so promising: John Bannon and 'Think of a Card" effects!
John Bannon
View Profile
V.I.P.
152 Posts

Profile of John Bannon
My current large project is a book on "think-of-a-card" type tricks. It has, of course, grown in scope to include some "mental" card tricks that are not TOAC--predictions and the like. While shaping up nicely, it is aways off. Thanks for your interest.

John

www.johnbannonmagic.com
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
I am now even more excited! Sounds simply brilliant.

I was going to ask you, John, if you have any interest in mentalism-type effects, but it appears you've answered my question before I even asked it (which proves your a very adept mentalist ... I think)!

To be a little more precise, what are your thoughts on the phenomenon that is Derren Brown and his approach to the craft? Frankly, I find his shows to be some of the best entertainment to ever hit our TV screens. Are you a fan of the pure mentalism side of things? If so, do you make use of it or apply it in your thinking on card magic?

Many thanks,
Jason
John Bannon
View Profile
V.I.P.
152 Posts

Profile of John Bannon
Excellent question.

Yes, I do pay attention to mentalism, though I find a lot of it self-important, windy and boring. That said, a favorite presentational strategy is popular among mentalists. That strategy I call "plausible." In other words, you tell your audience how you are accomplishing the trick and expect them to believe you. NLP, shuffle-tracking, most gambling presentations, most Derren Brown. The next strategy is "almost plausible." Here the audience can't quite accept you profesed method, but can't quite dismiss it either. In one trick, I claim to be able to see the reflection of the card the spectator is looking at in their eye. When I actually name the card, they go into the "plausible-almost plausible" loop. How good is that?

An ill-advised strategy is "implausible" where the audience doesn't believe what your saying at all and, in fact, are wondering why you think they would. A trap a lot of the "wonder" and "meaning" aficienados fall into--a lot.

Regular card magic has legitimate presentation strategies that do not require the "suspension of disbelief." I am coming to believe that these are more effective than pretending to have magical powers. B*A*D moon on the rise . . .

John

www.johnbannonmagic.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 23:22, John Bannon wrote:
B*A*D moon on the rise . . .

Are you suggesting that there's a CCR song title in a future Bannon effect?
John Bannon
View Profile
V.I.P.
152 Posts

Profile of John Bannon
One that's B*A*D to the bone . . .

www.johnbannonmagic.com
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Thanks for the reply, John. I find your presentational approach (attitude, body language, vocab, patter etc -- your whole demeanour) most perfectly suited to the art of card magic. It just seems to seamlessly match the act of presenting card magic to other human beings. Not too much, not too little. A sense of fun, pleasure and entertainment, yet intelligent, intriguing and mysterious. I guess that's why you're my favourite magician...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2009 entrée: John Bannon » » Thought-Of-Card-Across » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL