The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Stacked -deck shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Have you guys ever heard of "The Archer Shuffle" by David Archer? Simple to learn and angle free...yahoo!

Can be done in both hands and on table (looks best IMO in hands.)

PS: This move can be found in his Lecture notes "Working Alone".
Jonatan Bank
jazzman
View Profile
New user
manchester, UK
69 Posts

Profile of jazzman
I use the Zarrow for when I'm seated and the In-The-Hands False Riffle Shuffle taught in Card College 3 for when I'm standing. Alternatively a convincing false cut can do equally well, like Up the Ladder or Dante Kings triple cut
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
I'm with GothicBen on this one. I use The Optical Shuffle all the time with stacked deck work.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Jim Robinson
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of Jim Robinson
There is a good variation of Erdnase's full deck false overhand shuffle in the back of Ortiz's Annotated Erdnase... Not easy to learn but I use it with a memorized deck.
Robinson.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.... He to who this emotion is a stranger ... is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
There aren't many good overhand shuffles that are completly false, and the ones that are aren't very good looking.

I think this looks really good:

http://www.stevebeam.com/underhand.html

Steven Youell

Quote:
On 2003-06-13 01:45, Hushai wrote:
I know very little about these matters, but I assume that anyone who uses a stacked deck must make use of a false shuffle that leaves the deck in exactly the same order as before the shuffle, or at worst in the condition of having been cut. What false shuffles are most commonly used by stacked-deck workers?

A tip I always give people who ask about cooler work is to use the Zarrow. If something goes wrong, it almost always will leave a huge block of your stack intact.

Also, don't do it with a slip cut and one card cover. Zarrow in under four cards, hold the break and then Zarrow in under four cards again to restore the order.

(I hope that was hazy enough to avoid
exposure...)

Steven Youell
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
A new very flashy and unusual full deck control is coming out on DVD entitled "Cradle to Grave" by De'vo. It has 3 phases, and is far from the norm and takes incredible skill. If you like subtle and want it to look like a normal shuffle, then I'd go for Zarrow or the push through shuffle. Bill Malone has some good material also.

Cardjinx Smile
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
In an earlier message on this thread, I made reference to Lew Brooks' "False False Shuffle" (FFS), from his book "Stack Attack".

As it happens, a copy of this book was just offered for sale right here at the Magic Café:

For Sale: Stack Attack
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......78&0

I have a copy of this myself, and can attest to how convincing, powerful, and easy the FFS really is. The included routines are great, too!
Sanj Singh
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Sanj Singh
Check out Patrick Redford's work on false shuffles, he's got some neat stuff.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I am curious what anyone out there thinks of the Gordon Bruce false shuffle from 5x5 Scotland? I just got the book from the fritz (great seller, by the way!), and it looks good to me. I'm starting to work on it. Has anyone used it under fire? Experiences with it?
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I've recently been working on a quick sequence of 4 false shuffles which I can use with any full deck stack. The full sequence does cut the deck, but other than that, it retains the full deck sequence. I use a locator card (Scallop Short) so that I can cut back to home position if I need to.

The sequence is:
1. An Overhand shuffle which retains the entire stack. There are so many variations of this that I don't think I need to outline the specific one I use.
2. The Haymow shuffle.
3. A legitimate riffle shuffle.
4. A "Slop" shuffle which cancels out the effect of the riffle shuffle. This is explained in Eric Mead's Book, a Tangled Web.

My patter is along these lines: "People shuffle cards in a lot of different ways. Most people first learn this process which is properly called the Overhand Shuffle. Some old timers use this shuffle. My grandfather called it the "Chicken Plucker's Shuffle" but its really called the Haymow. Of course, most card players use a riffle shuffle, with the little spring flourish at the end. But one guy grabbed my cards and did this: Some cards right side up, some upside down, some Topsy, some Turvy, some Helter, some Skelter, some Pell, some Mell. What a mess! Cards going every which way. Fortunately I'm a magician and can fix it. (Snap Fingers and then display the cards are back to facing properly.)

It's important that you know your patter well, and that you don't look at your hands.

I also use the Heinstein Shuffle in my work and a variety of false cuts.

Dennis Loomis

Dennis Loomisr
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I wanted to mention that I agree with Scott Cram that the Lew Brooks False-False Shuffle is quite effective. However it does have one drawback. You can only use it once and that's when the deck is first introduced into play. Still, it's a powerful tool at the beginning of a set and may well fool your brother magicians.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Look up also Woody Aragon's "A Book in English"... There are several nice procedures and shuffles to retain a stack. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Dennis,

I'm not sure if the False False Shuffle can be used only when the deck is first brought into play. Consider this scenario: you have your deck set up for the False False Shuffle. For the first effect or even the first couple of effects, you use other false shuffles to maintain the order of the deck, while you use for the effect(s) the stack that is unaffected by the set-up. Then, in the middle of a routine, you perform the False False Shuffle and go on to your other full deck effects.

Wouldn't that work?

Woland
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Yes, Woland, that would work. In fact there's another way. At any time where you have a full deck stack, you turn the cards face up and do the reverse of the False False Shuffle with the face up cards. Later you turn the cards face down and you can do the usual False False Shuffle and your deck will be back in order. You must retail the order of the deck in the interim, of course.

If you wish, you might make the face up shuffle seem like a mistake and make a comment that for a good shuffle the deck should be face down.

For those of you that do the False-False shuffle I have a suggestion. As you know there are many variations of it, where most any small number can replace the letters in the format: A-B-C. But you have to be absolutely sure that you use the right three numbers. So, in your practice and performances you may want to always use the same three numbers. (Like 3-4-5.) Since the numbers hardly matter, you can make it even easier by using numbers you know well. My street number is 621, so I might use 6-2-1 for the False-False Shuffle and would use 1-2-6 for the set-up.

I apologize to those of you that are not familiar with this... I know this post doesn't make much sense.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Dennis. For those of us who are trying to use the FFS as effectively as possible, your words are pearls. I've been using 3-4-5-3-4-5 but your advice makes a lot of sense.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Hi Woland,
So you shuffle 6 sets of singles? And your set up would be 5-4-3-5-4-3?

Whatever works for you is all that matters.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I always used G.W. Hunter's false shuffle until I stumbled across the Rezvani/Optical shuffle, and I haven't looked back since. This is of course a matter of preference and style. I find the latter to be more casual and requires less "thinking" than the former, which is always a plus when the heat is on!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Stacked -deck shuffle (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL