The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What happened the large hadron collider? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile I love nonsense. Magic, it's what it's all about.

When two equal and opposite forces collide the third thing that comes out of it is always magical, that is when there is a relationship between the two.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, MobilityBundle wrote:
Tommy, when I was an undergrad physics major, I took part in a summer research program with 10 or so other undergrads. At the end of the program, we all presented the results of our projects in a series of short talks. The audience included the undergrad researchers and their faculty advisors, and also a couple administrators, who were very clearly out of their element. At the end of one student's talk (I forget the topic, but let's say super-cooling a certain gas with lasers) one administrator asked, "why are you doing this?" Of course, there is always more than one answer. A perfectly legitimate answer at the time would have been, say, that laser cooling techniques can be used to make Bose-Einstein condensates (... whatever they are...).

There was a beat or two of stunned silence after the administrator's question, at which point both the student and his faculty advisor simultaneously gave an answer. And it was the answer I was thinking, along with probably at least half the other science types in the audience. It's also the answer to your question now.

"It's fun."

using your powers for good fun instead of very bad fun. fun but two differenet results
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013......-for-fun
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What happened the large hadron collider? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL