The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The REAL Work in Monkeyshines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cris Johnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Niagara Falls, NY
248 Posts

Profile of Cris Johnson
This is my first review in the Café. I've "lurked" for years but never felt motivated to post anything til now. First off, I know other members have reviewed Doc's work, but I really wanted to start a separate thread to focus on what I feel is the real heart of these books.

Doc gives the reader something most magic books (even those published by well-respected full timers) do not: real world scripting advice. Doc's work on the "asides" (readers will know what I mean) is food for the soul. This kind of scripting advice is so rarely taught that I simply could not sleep after reading it.

A full time pro knows that working in new material (or even continuing work on old material) is much more than just the technical workings of the trick - it goes to the little nuances, facial gestures, etc that help "sell" the effect and more importantly sell YOU.

If you have any interest at all in real-world work as a magician, or if you're already a full time pro, get Doc's books. Oh yeah, the tricks are fantastic, too. One read and as a full timer I knew this stuff had actually been performed thousands of times in the real world.

Additionally, I have known Doc for years and after reading the books, I emailed him to tell him I had never laughed so hard reading a magic book. Doc's writing style is hilarious. I personally would buy a book from Doc with NO tricks, just anecdotes because he's so funny.

I'm jealous of his ability...

Cris
Cris Johnson, BCH, CI, CT.NLP

www.ProfessionalMagicProducts.com
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
First disclaimer: I know Cris.
Second disclaimer: I recently received an email from Cris telling me he liked the MonkeyShine books. Whenever I receive an email like this I typically mention to the person, "If you'd like to, feel free to put some of your comments online. What you write is, of course, totally up to you."

That being said, "Thank you."
More than flattered, I'm very pleased you took notice of what are probably the more important parts of my humble writings.

Again, thanks.

Doc Dixon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The REAL Work in Monkeyshines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL