The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Amazon Headhunters... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rick West
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
243 Posts

Profile of Rick West
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/ch......tngc_113

Reminder...will air Sunday Nov. 15th on National Geographic!
"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good jackpot"

"You say things sometimes, you don't know what the hell you mean. But you're sincere when you say it." Bob Dylan
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
UH...talk about bogus. This show was an embarassment for Nat Geo. A total waste of funds and the so called actual footage wss anything but. A few scenes of Hair hanging on a stick...some re-created How-to stuff using a rubber head. The actual heads shown in the museum were cool but nothing we havent seen before.

However the 'footage' of the 'actual shrinking' was laughable. ANY film person and film collector knows that the film used and processed at that time period would have been Eastman or it's like...unless Technicolor (which it was not) 0r CineColor 2 or 3 strip (which it was not...the film would have turned BEET RED by now. Scammed.
P.U.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
So Doug, why don't you let us know how you REALLY feel.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Kevin Gerrone
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gerrone
Yes I agree Doug, That was the biggest dissapointment! I was looking so forward to this and it totally SUCKED!!!!!! I thought the National Geographic Channel would have done better!!!
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Wow I dvred it and was really looking forward to watching it as well. But sounds like it's a wash, oh well guess I'll watch The Prisoner remake instead.
Rick West
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
243 Posts

Profile of Rick West
I want my money back...
"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good jackpot"

"You say things sometimes, you don't know what the hell you mean. But you're sincere when you say it." Bob Dylan
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

I kept waiting for the good part, but at the 5 minute-to-the-end mark I realized that wasn't going to happen.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
willhunter
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
140 Posts

Profile of willhunter
I am watching it now via DVR. Doug, I don't want to sound like a mark, but couldn't the color correction be done digitally. I assume that explains the color of the old footage. I will hold further opinion till I finish watching.
aka Billy Boston
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Color correcting from the red is, as far as I know, not viable. I know that filters can not bring back ANY color balance. I would think it's very possible to just electronically turn it to black and white and then colorize from there BUT that would be expensive as hell...I assume if that was the case they would just show it as Black and white footage. The color also had an off look to it that I couldn't put my finger on except that it looked altered to slightly washed out look...Kodachrome was strong and when it faded it went to RED as well. IF you look on the reels that they are running through the editor...you will notice it is RED...ALL RED edge to edge which is in keeping with any film of the time (except as noted above.) The technicolor 3 strip process doea not fade. But note...Technicolor brand put out a film (8mm & 16mm) in the 50's that was actually the crap that turned RED as well under the technicolor name. It was still processed by Eastman.

Bottom line though is the footage contained NOTHING but a HAIR rag hanging on a pole. never showed a face or any human facial components. Then they mixed the recreated footage (labled as such shjown earlier) with the Hair Rag footage and left it unlabled to allow for assumption.
The "expedition" was also completely pointless...as if it wasn't known that this tribe had really done such things untill this bozo went down and proved it. Huh?

Also it had conflicting information. The description said that thick sticks were put into the lips and tied and they showed ONE like that. Really??? Then why do the heads exhibited in the Museum shots and most all others you see everywhere else NOT have sticks?? Hello?

It was crap.

Now I DO remeber seeing footage many many years ago...it was black and white in some off the wall documentary that purported to show the actual ritual; shrinking. I thought that this show was going to use it...but it wasn't.

I'll put out a 16mm search and see if I can find it.

I still like my heads...I use artistic license and do not try to reproduce them with tribal accuracy BUT I took one to the Museum and it fooled them! Good enough for me. Anybody want to shoot some bogus documentary footage? I have the locations and the props. Smile Smile
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

I'll stick a bone through my lip and dance around my fire pit while dangling chicken heads if that will help.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
And I can play anthropologist "Dr. Kleinkopf."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
OogaBoogaMoFo Productions Presents A National Foolergraphic Prodution Of An Eddie Garland Film blah blah blah...

all we need is a simple B&W shot of a light brown skinned hand holding up a Shrunky Head in front of some plants and sell that footage to NatGeo to build a Doc around and finance an expedition to authenticate it. (ie: see the doc already on my shrunk head page!!! It's been done!)

But figure about an 8 second clip will do to nail down NatGeo.
willhunter
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
140 Posts

Profile of willhunter
Okay, it was pretty tripe. And, Doug thanks for the explanation about film turning red.

How can I get in on the documentary? Can I play the victim in the re-enactment, chased down by Nipplinni, caught, and the decapitating knife comes down - cut away edit- to one of Doug's heads over a smoking fire. It will not be the first time I have been decapitated on film.
aka Billy Boston
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Hmmmm a nothingburger!

BUT what I want to know is--what about the guide? His kid was sick and three days away down the river?! Did the kid get better? How did our intrepid NatGeo adventurer return to the world of asphalt without benefit of his guide? Oh, so many questions and too few answers...
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
He flew out the same way he got in.
Utah_Showman
View Profile
Veteran user
Heart of Utah
350 Posts

Profile of Utah_Showman
Didn't any of you go through the Blow-off????????????????????
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

Heh heh, yeah... was thinking the same thing after watching it. Doug's "expedition" clip IS awesome.... someone here should put up a link to it.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Well...I blew it off half way through...does that count? I watched it all but with jaundiced eye.

Nips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA5vORiFL......embedded
Bittertalker
View Profile
New user
Cape Cod
22 Posts

Profile of Bittertalker
And here I thought it was just me being disappointed by this special.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Amazon Headhunters... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL