The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » My first droopy ear rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
Quote:
On 2010-01-06 22:52, tropicalillusions wrote:
Has anyone else in this rabbit forum, had to get their family rabbit USDA licensed for performances????

I have not heard of this license. What is it for?
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
Has anyone else in this rabbit forum, had to get their family rabbit USDA licensed for performances????

Oh, lordy. What's next, the Rabbit Flu? I cannot imagine you can license something with the USDA that is constantly making 'rabbit berries'! Is this real? Doesn't the USDA only give you a stamp of approval if the rabbit is destined to be 'food'? Arg...
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
The strange part is, if the rabbit is raised for food consumption, then no licensing is required,,,,, I say WHAT????? now if you are going to publicly display the animal, then the license is required. If you are using The family pet in a birthday party, you could be fined if caught by the powers to be.Key word is caught. now if you are caught, then one can always plea the I didn't know factor. When I was approached for my license I stated " License??? heck my guy cant even drive a car". Then I was given the explanation of why, and then the how. And the process began. don't get alarmed by this, this will only happen to you, if you may be performing in Zoos, Fairs and Festivals. any sort of venue that handles masses of people, and perhaps contains petting Zoos and animal exhibits.
Even if the critter just pops out of a box then gets Handed of stage, and no petting involved, it is considered an exhibition of the animal. So an occasional show in a theater from town to town, Birthday, or private function, then don't worrie, just don't call the usda and tell them what you are up to. after I do chores, I will explain what I had to go thru with paper work and inspections just in case you run into this.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

The funny part is, while I was being inspected and given info on this process for the Rabbit, I had hook billed birds in the show that can really slice into someones finger and cause serious damage, I can see these guys being licensed and inspected for safety purposes, but so far it is not neccesary, their comment for the hook bills is" its coming, we just have to iron out all the guidelines for agents to follow". CRAZY, but I can understand an inspection to see if the animal is getting proper care, good handling and good housing, something that -some....... magicians ...dont worry to much about, these beautiful animals are sometimes handled as a prop. I am glad to see all the post I see on Café' with animals are very concerned for their animals. I will post my adventure on licensing soon, they are good guidelines to follow, and are not hard to accomplish, making it a win, win situation for our animal friends. Off to feed doves by hand, will post soon, when I dig out my files from road cases.
Jason Fox
View Profile
New user
Washington, D.C.
48 Posts

Profile of Jason Fox
I'd be glad to answer anything you want to know, just PM me. My rabbit was a terror at first, not she is the sweetest little thing. Ask any vet and they will confirm that rabbits are the most territorial animal...even more than a poisonous snake.

here are some DON'Ts that will make your life easy

1) Don't pickup your bunny, they will pee on you or your couch.

2) Don't get a bag less vacuum they won't last long - my Dyson was ruined after 5 months.

3) DON'T CLEAN THE CAGE OR MOVE ANYTHING AROUND WHILE THE RABBIT IS IN THE CAGE!

4) Rabbits hold grudges and can be mad at you for days, just give them the cool off time.

5) never physically discipline your bunny, when they do something wrong (like pee on your army uniform) put them in the litter pan or in their cage.
Jason Fox
View Profile
New user
Washington, D.C.
48 Posts

Profile of Jason Fox
Quote:

sounds like a scam. I heard once that people were selling wishing wells and telling the victims that the pennies would go to a needy cause. apparently the needy cause was them selves.
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
Like the televangelist who took donations, then threw all the money up in the air and said what God wanted He could keep and the rest went in the preacher's pocket.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Rabbit police!!!! USDA Animal welfare act. I have seen them give steep fines and shut them down, birthday parties, and small functions need not worry. only if you are dealing with the large Fair and festival Markets. It all starts with an inspection with proper paperwork filled out by your vet, (program of Veterinary care for exhibitors) Form 7002.
Then the field inspector makes his way to your facility. for his pre license inspection. You get a large book, of details for housing etc. They are also wanting records of the pedigree, or how and where you have obtained the animal.

Thet check out the housing, No wood structures that can soak up any animal waste( urine) mostly metal, with no rusting. A minimum amount of square inches of cage in accordance to the animals weight. Heating and cooling issues. no Long grass or weeds near the cage, this can carry fly Larvae that comes from their waste, which could lead into Maggots in the cage or on and IN their Body. I have seen this in Rabbits at the vet it is gross. travelling conditions, which are leanient..for travel, mostly concerned about housing once they are at their location, of performance.

Once you pass this inspection, then you are open to Suprise visits, both at the performance venue or at the facility where the animal is housed.

I have been inspected at the Nashville state Fair, and in Louisianna fair as well. you will find this to happen at any event that may have multiple types of animal exhibits, from a circus, animal theme park, Zoos, Fairs. you work in any of these events watch out for it. if you get checked to see if you have a license for your rabbit, remember your initiak response shouls be, License..... heck my rabbit cant even drive.

Total cost for me was 40 dollars for vet check up, which we do anyway. then 10 bucks for the license which is the total cost for up to 5 animals sdo for 50 bucks you to can do all this. Floks like Kirby van Birch, sigfried and roy, Thomas etc, all have these license.
this would also be used for performing dogs, cats, oh ya even Hamsters!!!!! This is no joke, I thought so at first.

I first learned of these permits while working with big cats with our programs at animal sancturies. Crazy world, but let me tell ya, it sure helps to make sure the animals are well taken care of and not abused. enjoy and happy animal magic.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Wow where was spell check, sory folks was in a hurry to post this and typing with 2 fingers.
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
I had a rabbit for 10 years and he has just passed. His name was Hip Hop and he was trained to go to the bathroom in a litter box like a cat. He was a lot of fun, but work just like any pet. They are very tender and need tender care. Too many get a bunny thinking it will be easy care, but it ends up a disaster especially in places like where I live, Tucson, AZ. It is too HOT for the bunnies to survive outside. Take good care of it.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Rodhousley,

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your little friend.

If and when you are thinking of replacing him, let me know. There is a great breeder in Peoria. She has Mini Rex and Holland Lops.

Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » My first droopy ear rabbit (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL