The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Too late to do direct mail or too early? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Obviously it is too late to start a direct mailing campaign for Christmas party. But should I do it now to plant a seed for 2010? Or people are too busy with finalizing their christmas/NYE event to worry about new offers for 2010 at this time??
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
I'm by no means an expert, so take this with a huge grain of salt.

I asked an experienced magician and businessman about direct marketing once. His response to me was (to paraphrase) that it comes across cheap and so are the results that you get from it.

I didn't believe him. I tried it anyway.

He was right on the money.

I don't claim to have found a "magic solution", but I'm not sure the snail mail equivalent to SPAM is the right way...

That's not to say I'll never do another mailing, but I've come to respect the fine line between permission marketing and direct marketing.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
There's a lot more to the whole question, to give you an appropriate answer.

Do you have names on your mailing list, or just random businesses?

Have you mailed to them in the past, and how recently?

Are you marketing a kids / family show, or an adult show?

Do you call and qualify them somewhat, before mailing to them? Do you use a name, or a title, or just a business name?

Do you know from experience, when they usually book?

Are you talking about past customers, or people who have never booked you before?

- Donald

P.S. Like everything in marketing, you have to find your own way to do it correctly. Direct mail works fine for me, and I like using it. It probably accounts for about 1/3 of my business.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
To answer Nash's question directly--too early and possibly not too late. I've seen a shift to last minute bookings. The last minute booker will find that many entertainers are booked. So a well timed mailing could produce some surprising results.

Direct mail is a numbers game. You can expect a 2% return. That sounds horrible but if you send out 1,000 pieces and 2% book, then that's 20 bookings you would not have had. You then have 20 new clients to follow up with next year.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I normally would agree that it's a bad time to think about a holiday direct mailer. But I agree with Ken to an extent. I'm seeing a ton of last minute bookings this year - way more than normal. And while I may think it's still a little too late, I think a late Nov. mailing would have actually worked pretty well this year. hindsight.

nash - make a marketing calendar. On it, put all the deadlines for yourself to create marketing campaigns.
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
Direct mailing should be just a portion of your overall marketing program. Keeping your name fresh in the mind of the organizer, bookers or agents. But I am beginning to re-think the cost of mailing. Internet marketing, newsletters and non spam emails cost far less and are just as effective, provided you have an un-to-date contact list. This year I made the decision not to send out my mailer. I normally sent it out the first week of November. Instead I simply sent out an email reminder that I was aware of the hurt companies have experienced this year due to cost cutting and layoffs. I wished them a Happy Holiday and a more prosperous New Year etc. I really thought there would be fewer parties. In Silicon Valley at least, I could not have been more wrong.
Parties and budgets are much smaller, the money is not like it was a few years ago, but booking are way up!
Think long term, add to your list of satisfied clients and collect those contact names, numbers, and email addresses. Adjust your prices, over deliver on your promises and follow up with your marketing progam. You just might turn them into lifelong clients! That's the goal isn't it? (Thanks Dean)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Too late to do direct mail or too early? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL