The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Simon-Eyes from The Aronson Approach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FredNarlo
View Profile
Loyal user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
282 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
I am curious if anyone out there has actualy READ THE ENTIRE section (over 40 pages I think) that is devoted to, in my opinion, a real gem of Aronson's...it's called Simon-Eyes and it is the last routine in The Aronson Approach.

Even if you don't ever perform this miracle of an effect I would like everyone that has this book to look it over and tell me your thoughts. It doesn't use MD...

Anyone perform it?

Randy
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
No!
FredNarlo
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
Why the "!"?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, I read at already 1997, love it and perform it where it fits. It is fabulous and did inspire me to work out a quicker version using only two times 10 cards using the Aronson stack. Simon Aronson knows my version and liked it. Even if someone would not perform "Simon Eyes" there is still a lot to learn by studying it, specially about linguistics when performing similar routines. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
MemDeck329
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MemDeck329
Hi Fred... I like fishing for fish, not for cards. Smile I think Simon has many other effects, with equal or greater impact, requiring much less effort.

But, I certainly subscribe to the theory of "different strokes for different folks". Otherwise there would only be ONE card trick instead of maybe millions?
FredNarlo
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
MemDeck,

Glad you responded...as your handle name makes me realize you and I would get along great! I have performed Simon-Eyes before a few years ago and although it really does have a GREAT and ingenius method (although there is somewhat "fishing", but not really) the magnitude of the effect is easily obtained doing items such as Histed Heisted (one of my favorites) or Topsy Turvy.

I guess I was just wanting to see other's thoughts.

JanForster...I have sent you a PM.

Randy
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 01:28, FredNarlo wrote:
Why the "!"?

It was the pain I felt when a teacher would give me a homework assignment.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 10:05, FredNarlo wrote:

I guess I was just wanting to see other's thoughts.

JanForster...I have sent you a PM.

Randy

Hi Randy, I have sent you a PM ... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
FredNarlo,

In answer to your query, I've read the effect all the way through (at least twice) and liked it (and its underlying principle) quite a bit. A friend of mine and I used to practice Simon Eyes for an hour or so at our weekly magic brainstorming sessions. We even went so far as to call each other on the phone and practice the effect--with one guy being the performer and the other guy being the two participants. My friend even recorded a 1 1/2 hour telephone session of us praciticing this. (I recently looked for my copy of this recording and I'll be darned if I can find it now.)

I also rewrote the effect into both a 16-page "definitive" file and a 3-page "Cliff's Notes" primer. I also made up a small crib sheet template of the "fishing process" that, when cut out, can be slipped between a card case and the cellophane surronding the card case (for use if needed). Finally, I made up a Practice Sheet that contains 4 performances "tick sheets" per page. I designed this so that, if you write your two final choices next to a tick sheet, you can go back to these worksheets months later, cover up the answer (for each tick sheet) and run through the tick sheet and see if you get the same answer for that tick sheet "performance". (Yeh! I know! Pretty a*n*a*l retentive.)

I, like FredNarlo, found other Aronson effects that I liked better (Histed Hiested, Four Part Harmony, etc.) and I gradually dropped Simon Eyes from my practice regimen.

Thanks for the reminder, Fred. Time to get this back out and work on it some more. There was a reason that I was attracted to and fascinated by this effect in the first place. Time to rediscover that. Time to drag this back out and work on it some more.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Barrie Richardson has an adaptation of this effect in Act Two, I forget the name of it. But it is very clever and I think--as it reads-- it is more effective and easier to perform than Simon's version. Anyone know which effect I'm speaking of?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, it is called "Final Ecstasy". Very good indeed, but again you need a special stack only good for this specific routine. I think my handling (see above) is (sorry) superior as it uses the Aronson Stack and doesn't destroy the stack while performing. Besides that I worked out a handling using the Tamariz stack. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
MemDeck329
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MemDeck329
Michael Close has a similar effect in Workers #5 called, "Myopia". It uses the Aronson (or any other) stack. There is no dealing involved and only one question is asked.
==============================
He also states that because of the dealing through the deck twice, and the fishing: "This places the routine (Simon Eyes) outside the realm of real world material.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, "Myopia" is quite good, but same time quite different to all versions prior mentioned including "Ecstasy"... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
MemDeck329
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MemDeck329
Jan, is "Ecstasy" something you can share with us?
Mergel Funsky
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mergel Funsky
Simon doesn't always live in the real world. That's part of what being creative is all about.

Mergel
“Just because something’s imaginary doesn’t mean it isn’t real.”

-- Mergel Funsky
Frontispiece, Who Is Mergel Funsky? (unpublished and likely to remain so)
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 20:50, MemDeck329 wrote:
Jan, is "Ecstasy" something you can share with us?

"Ecstasy" you'll find in Barrie Richardson book "Act Two". I've my own version using the Aronson Stack instead of a specific stack. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
CartoucheNL
View Profile
New user
Liessel, The Netherlands
38 Posts

Profile of CartoucheNL
For the serious student, Simon Eyes is highly recommendend. Even if you do not intend to ever perform it, this will rock your thinking. Especially the part on the NO NO fishing is particularly interesting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Simon-Eyes from The Aronson Approach (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL