The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » New Website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Hi Folks!

I, along with some others from Warriors for Christ, Creative Arts Ministry have been building a website. It has been a slow work in progress and isn't finished yet.

It's not just a website for me to promote my Gospel magic as it's also intended to be a website promoting Gospel magic for street evangelizing. None of us are website designers by any means, and there is much yet still to be done with it.

However, I would like to share what we have so far and get some feedback on it. I'm not fishing for praise or anything like that, but just some good sound criticism that may help improve it, and what you all think so far. The main navigation bar links are not operational yet but the other ones are.

I also started a blog which I would love some feedback on as well.

The website address is http://www.gospelmagicministry.com

Thanks. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
A bigger font for the text would be nice, I have good eyesite, but found it not that welcoming to read, sorry to start with a criticism, I think the potential is great for it though, keep at it!
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Criticism is what I'm looking for. Just as long as it's constructive. You have a very good point in regards to the text. Thanks for your input. I will have the text inlarged.

More comments and criticism welcomed. Smile
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
259 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
This is not so much from me as it is an idea from my pastor:

One thing that has stuck in my mind in the past few weeks has to do with photos and images.

My pastor is a Facebook friend of mine. Last week he remarked that he had been looking at some of the friends I have on Facebook and noticed some Gospel magicians with the typical magicians photographs. He said "why would a person use a photo that makes them look spooky and mysterious-looking and then expect the public to listen to them speak the Gospel?"

I say that to say you might consider changing the photo of you with the sunglasses. It's a great shot don't get me wrong. But the question I would consider is whether or not the photo looks "inviting". In that particular shot do you look like someone who I would stop and listen to on the street?

May God bless you for what you are doing.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Funny you should mention that Tony.Smile

I evangelize on the streets to street people and the homeless. Some of them are gang members, drug dealers, and pretty much what some would consider thugs. Not all of them that I evangelize to would fall into that category, but I would say a large percentage of them are.

One thing that I learned is that the people I evangelize to are not very receptable to the reverse type of image. In fact, I don't know of many evangelist who would ever dare to try and evangelize to the people I evangelize to. Smile It was one of the problems I had when trying to get an outreach team together. In Calgary, we had an outreach team, but some of the members also worked at the Calgary Mustard Seed where I also worked as well. I also had a youth group that helped with the outreach ministry. When with the youth group, we of course stayed in more nuetral area's. Since moving to Saskatchewan, it's been tough to find committed christians. That of course, was up til now.

I used to live on the streets, was once involved with street gangs, drug dealers, and would even consider myself a former thug. I was saved while living on the street of Vancouver where Hastings street was my playground.

Of course I don't always wear the sunglasses, and you may have a point with the photo. I grew up on the mean streets and spent time in jail with some of the more harden criminals. One fellow in particular is probally one of the most notorious fellow I have ever had the privilage of witnessing to. He gave his life to the Lord about 15-16 years ago, and has a testimony that would make some if not most be in awe of. He was involved in many things in his life, many of them pretty bad. He would also hire himself as a collector for the Hells Angels in Montreal. He went to jail for shooting someone right on the court house in Montreal. He's on my friends list on facebook, and I can tell you that God has changed his life big time.

I guess I'm saying all this because with a better understanding of the people I evangelize to you might see that image is an important thing. I can relate to those I evangelize to, and they can relate to me. Not just because of my image, but because I'm a no nonsense kind of guy. And they can relate to me. I understand them from experience what most of them are going through, or have been through

However, I of course don't live that image 24/7.(lol) Not that I'm saying it's a fake image, it's not. That is just one small part of who I am. I am also a father, a husband, business owner, etc. I also still ocassionally perform Gospel magic for churches where I dress more conservatively. Smile

More photo's and text will be added to the site as time goes on. The link, "church programs" will be the page for my Gospel magic for church events and functions. I assure you that the photo's on that page will be much more conservative.

So, I guess in answer to your Pastor's question as to why some would look spooky and mysterious-looking and then expect the public to listen to them speak is, because the people they evangelize to look spooky and mysterious and would never give the time of day to listen to someone all dressed up with their hair combed straight, with nice shoes, fancy clothes with a sports coat, and talk in proper english. Smile

Thanks for the input. I appreciate you taking the time to look at it.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Dan, you have to look at who the site is trying to reach...are you trying to reach street people to book you or are you trying to get churches to sponsor you. You would be better off showing the "nice" Dan image with a section of pictures of you in action, showing the "street" Dan image.

One other thing, it's all meant in love, I wouldn't go by Gospel Dan...that doesn't have a street image feel either. That is a name I would expect from a Children's worker, like Willy George's Gospel Bill...I think you would be much better served by going with a real name, or at least a first and last name stage name...like Tony Brent
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Dan -

I like your site a lot and how it will really appeal to the youth. I would suggest adding a photo or two of you doing something with two or three youth on the main page...showing some interaction going on immediately.

In the business world, when one is looking for a job, one needs to have a resume customized for the job they want...not a "one size fits all" thing. Now for appealing to churches and doing shows within their walls...I agree it doesn't "sell" that. Would recommend a separate site for that that has the look of you doing a show in a church setting. This site gives the image of "street magic" which conjures up David Blaine and Criss Angel...and most churches "don't want to go there." However, your testimony is powerful...from the streets...and that would sell more as a guest speaker...not so much a gospel magic show. (Which you could do effects in your talk...just not selling a "magic show")

I went the way of the "motivational speaker" for a while...and incorporated magic into what I did. That was more fun that just the run of the mill magic show. However, I got tired of the world of (secular) "professional speakers" before long. Then I got saved and focused what I do toward sharing the gospel...and realized that was my calling...especially after I hooked up with Gene Oswald and we created Oz & Wilde.

We understand the marketing thing...at least how hard it is anyway. Our act has been struggling with our "image" as well...trying to get past the "kid show performers" and sell "family programs"...but find most churches pretty much split the two. "Oh sure...come and perform for the kids while we have a 'real presenter' come talk to the adults." So we too struggle with marketing and are sensitive to the matter.

So GREAT start on a site that is youth focused. As for that...be as brief as possible with what you write and post. They aren't looking for long dissertations...just quick facts...grab their short attention span. You don't want to appear "preachy."

Anyway that my perspective.
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Terry, not trying to reach street people to book me, or churches to sponsor me. Smile

Originally the website was meant as a place to publicize who I am and what I do, but I felt that it would be more useful if I also was able to share my experiences with evangelizing.

I had no intentions of getting a website built at first until the idea was pitched to me. I thought the idea of sharing my experiences witnessing and evangelizing on the streets could be informative to other christians who may be interrested in that line of ministry. So, I suppose the website is directed to other christians who perform magic. Or who are interrested in using Gospel magic as a tool to evangelize, and are looking for more information about it.

I have been asked several times if I would be willing to have myself video taped in action. And, although an attempt was once made, I backed away from the project because some of the people I evangelize to can be very camera shy, if you know what I mean. We still talk about re-trying it, but it would have to be much more well planned out than it originally was.

My friend, Preacher Mike is a member of the Gospel Riders Ministry, and I wonder if he's ever been asked about his name.(lol) I will contact him and see if he's ever had the same comment made to him about his name. The name Gospel Dan was a name that was first used by street people I came to know many years ago when I first started working for outreach ministries. So it's funny that you say it doesn't have a street image feel. I don't go around everywhere introducing myself as Gospel Dan, but I guess after so many years it's kind of grown on me. It's kinda like asking me to amputate an arm. (lol)

Either way, I will put your advice to thought and consideration, and bring it up with the other guys as well.

This is why I wanted to share what is on the website right now. I wanted to get feedback, and I thank the three of you for taking your time to look at it. We are more than prepared to make changes that would not only benefit the look of the website, but benefit others with the info it will contain.

Thanks guys!
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Thanks Kif for your comments.

You are absolutely right about adding more pictures. Especially of me performing for street youth. More pictures are to come. The link, "Church Events" is the page that will promote my Gospel magic for churches. It just hasn't been completed yet. The picture of me for that page has me posing with Buddy, a little more friendly. Smile

I'm glad you think it appeals to the youth, because that's what the aim was. We want to get youth and other Christian excited about evangelizing. Long story short, but I feel that I am more of a guest speaker who happens to performs Gospel magic when it comes to performing in churches today. Speaking more to our youth, but still throwing in a few tricks. I guess I don't feel called to the conventional way of Gospel magic as I thought I once was. I still do that, but when it comes to our youth, there are so many real issues that they face that I feel needs to be addressed. And most of the time performing a trick can get more in the way than benefit it.

An hour long program that I do for christian youth is called, "Stay In The Light" it contains some magic, music, and preaching. It's taken a year to put it all together. There is also a program that I put together for churches who open their doors to the non-churched. The program is called, "Lost Yourself". Both these programs were inspired by the band Apologetix who graciously gave me permission to use two of their songs.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I have a background in advertising and I have a rather well known consultant work with me and it really has helped me a lot, so what I shared came from a business/technical point of view.

I personally liked the look of your site, but I guess having had a children's ministry for 26 years conjurors up certain images when I see or read certain things like Gospel Dan and yes, Preacher Mike would make a good character name for children's work too. The name just doesn't fit the image portrayed on your site, the picture with your puppet and you being Gospel Dan...that fits. That's the image you gave us to see you as here on the Café...so in my mind the gritty, hard look of your picture on the site...is not "Gospel Dan"

You might want to think about two persona's one for working with children and families and one for the street work that you do and then have a website to reflect both ministries and images. I have two complete sites, one for my Gospel side and one for my secular performances, and I've done very well from my web presence, especially on the secular side.

I can see it from your perspective too...I can imagine someone calling you that from the streets now that you shared the history, but from a marketing standpoint it just doesn't connect with me, but that's just my opinion.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2009-12-07 14:33, Terry Owens wrote:
I
You might want to think about two persona's one for working with children and families and one for the street work that you do and then have a website to reflect both ministries and images. I have two complete sites, one for my Gospel side and one for my secular performances, and I've done very well from my web presence, especially on the secular side.

Point well taken Terry. I will pass that advice off to Larry and the others. Smile

I'm supposed to be working today, but I keep playing on my laptop. My bad.(lol) I guess I'm excited about you guys sharing some good advice, but I should really get back to work now.

Keep the advice coming. Tonight we will be working on the site again and some of the advice will be incorporated.

A real quick story in regards to Buddy. I had seriously considered dropping him from the show, but friends and family were very upset with me for even considering it.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
259 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
Here's a thought; you could have a blurb where you explain why you call yourself Gospel Dan the way you did above.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I put in an explanation to how my name Gospel Dan originated in my blog. One correction though which I remembered as I was writing it out is the first time I was called Gospel Dan was while I was still living on the streets. Tonight was the first time I actually put a lot of energy into remembering how it all happened. There were so many other things going on in my life that I never gave it much thought. Now that I have, many other memories have come to mind for me too. Some good, and some bad. Smile

Thanks for the suggestion Tony. I've been up all night remembering old times, and writing out how Gospel Dan came about. Smile
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 23:07, Heres Tony wrote:
I say that to say you might consider changing the photo of you with the sunglasses. It's a great shot don't get me wrong. But the question I would consider is whether or not the photo looks "inviting". In that particular shot do you look like someone who I would stop and listen to on the street?

I thought the photo with the sunglasses fit the site theme perfectly! A whole lot better than the "nice" avatar photo with the puppet. I think a street person would more listen to the "sunglasses" Gospel Dan than the "puppet man".

If the site is mopre to share what's happening on the streets with your ministry there rather than be a marketing tool to generate bookings, then I think you're very much on the right track!

I do agree with Terry - you do look like two different people. But that's to be expected with two widely divergent lines of ministry.

Ed
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thank you for your ministry.

As a person that also does urban ministry, I am aware of importance of connection.

You won't see me showing up in the pictured pink bathrobe. It may come out later along with the cute puppets. Something that has been missing from many on the streets is passing through the kid stage.

Harris
have strait jacket will travel
laughologist and fisher of men (kansas city)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
In my work with hard core addicts, I often find they are trying to fill a God sized hole, with things from sex, gambling to drugs.(both legal and illegal ones)

The addicts are sometimes on the streets, or have streets named after their families.

God is Good.

Harris
fisher of men
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
barrypeters
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of barrypeters
Good thoughts. I can't wait until my kids are a little older and I can begin doing gospel magic again and gaining insite from all of you!
MadderMax
View Profile
Regular user
Venice, FL
136 Posts

Profile of MadderMax
Dan, the site looks good, I really respect your ministry and what you are trying to accomplish.
John Mott
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The site looks great, draws interest and tells who you are and what you do.

The only suggesting I would make is to switch the Home page with the 4th page. Making the 4th page the Home page.

I would consider leaving off the banner pic or making it smaller on other pages. With today's wide narrow screens, people do not want to scroll down pages and many times, depending on the screen size do not realize they should scroll because there is more below the screen.

Or make a Home page with the large pic and an enter button. The Home page must state in words that this is for other people who want to spread the word through Street Magic performance. Then as said page 4 further explains the task.

Google will pick up your home page entries and you will reach your intended audience for visits.

Hope this helps your layout question.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
For those of you who don't know Bill, he's very knowledgable in the area of computers and is almost a walking encyclopidia of magic...so if you have any questions about certain effects, especially the classics, Bill is a great person to go to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » New Website (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL