The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Starting a new ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I'm about an hour south of Houston. I've visited IBM Ring #39 several times but the distance makes it impractical. Also, there are about a dozen people in my community with a budding interest in magic.

So, what is the process to charter a new IBM Ring? I've looked on the IBM http://www.magician.org/ website and found a lot of good information about joining IBM but I didn't see anything on starting a Ring.

I've been an officer in my local alley of Clowns of America International (COAI) for several years so I have some experience in this area.

I am assuming there is probably a whole packet of information that I just need to find that will answer all the questions about this.

Any links, help or advice would be great.

Thanks.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
By the way, I am not currently a member of IBM so I was very limited in what I could visit on the web site.

It would make sense that a person has to be a member to start an IBM Ring but on the other hand, how can you become a member if there is not a local Ring?

If I register as a "Non-member" on the IBM site will it tell me what I need to know?

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Why not start a non-affiliated club to begin with and then once you get it going see if the membership wants to affilliate itself with the IBM?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
To form a new Ring, the I.B.M. requires a petition signed by a minimum of ten (10) I.B.M. members in good standing willing to support the new Ring. The petition can be downloaded from the Ring Resources section of http://www.magician.org .

You don't need a Ring to become an I.B.M. member. You can join as an associate member not affiliated to a particular Ring. The Linking Ring magazine is worth the price of membership alone, in my opinion.

While I support membership in the national organizations, Payne's suggestion is a good one. Organize your local magic buds into a nonaffiliated club to gauge interest then weigh the benefits and options of S.A.M. and the I.B.M.

Let me know if I can help you in ANY way, Curt.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2009-12-08 01:44, Payne wrote:
Why not start a non-affiliated club to begin with and then once you get it going see if the membership wants to affilliate itself with the IBM?

That's a good idea except, IBM has so many resources. This "ain't their first rodeo" but I'd be starting from scratch.

I might as well call on the expertise of the people who are among the best at working with magic clubs and groups.

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-12-08 09:39, curtgunz wrote:

That's a good idea except, IBM has so many resources. This "ain't their first rodeo" but I'd be starting from scratch.

I might as well call on the expertise of the people who are among the best at working with magic clubs and groups.

I've actually questioned this contention for many years. What "resources" does the IBM or SAM actually offer a magic club? My local club was an independent organization for many years. A few years ago a couple of people convinced the membership that they should affiliate the club with the IBM and become an official ring. Since that time there has been zero input from the parent organization. No national officers have visited or even contacted our club. In the decade we've been an IBM ring we've never even seen or heard from our Territorial VP. Well at least until this year at that's only because they made one of our membership the TVP.

So really I'd be curious to discover what resources you think the IBM can offer you in your quest to start up a new club. Apart from the TVP giving you a list of IBM members in your area to contact so as to inform them of your intent to start up a club. Other than that, I think you'd be much better off just wrangling up like minded folk and starting a club of your own
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2009-12-08 11:19, Payne wrote:

So really I'd be curious to discover what resources you think the IBM can offer you in your quest to start up a new club. Apart from the TVP giving you a list of IBM members in your area to contact so as to inform them of your intent to start up a club. Other than that, I think you'd be much better off just wrangling up like minded folk and starting a club of your own

The whole point of this thread is that I am too dumb to know what IBM can do. If I knew what they'd offer I'd be able to decide.

I was hoping they'd have things like:
Ideas for programs
Resource list
Handy-dandy newsletter templates
Membership tracking forms
Suggestions for conducting successful meetings

Payne, in your experience in starting an unaffiliated club, what resources did you use? (or did you just wing it?)

For local IBM Ring officers, what has the national level done to help you?

For any IBM national folks reading this, what information can you give me that I'm just to inexperienced to even know to ask?

Thanks everyone, looking forward to hearing from you.

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Ah, the old complaint - "THEY never do anything for US!"

The Ring or Assembly that sits quietly in their corner waiting for the "great powers" to discover them will probably be waiting a long, long time. It's the Ring that asks for help that receives it. It's the Ring that invites the Int'l President and TVP/RVP to visit and takes the initiative to arrange lodging and functions that is so honored. It's the Ring that submits stories, reports, Parades and photos to the Linking Ring and M-U-M that has them published. It's the Ring that works with the International leadership that is recognized and excels. It's the Ring that takes the initiative to change a discrepancy or deficiency that moves the art forward for everyone.

We didn't wait for "Them" to "make" one of our members the TVP or Int'l President - we nominated and supported their elections...just as we support truly qualified nominees from other states and regions. My Ring proudly hosted five past presidents and we're grooming more.

The leaders and resources of the I.B.M. and S.A.M. have always been there for my Ring because we ask for it and contribute as much as we receive.

Curt, ask and you'll receive. Just a scant few of the benefits from S.A.M. and I.B.M. include program guides, performer insurance, health insurance, two of the finest magazines in magic, promotion and branding support, free member websites and email addresses, commercial discounts, endowment and emergency support, incredible conventions, professional world-recognized competitions, international recognition and fellowship, access to research materials, business advice and mentoring, structured youth programs, Ring recruiting assistance...and on and on.

As with all things in life - You receive just about the same level as you're willing to give.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Skip,

It sounds good. Can I find the downloads for Petition and other resources at Magician.org" target="_blank">http://www...... End --> as a "Non-member" registered user or will I need to become a non-affiliated associate member (I can see logic in either course the IBM web site takes)?

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Non-member access is limited for a variety of reasons. You won't be able to access Ring and Member resources without a member ID. Since you need ten active members to form a Ring, there really is little reason to access Ring Resources without a membership. Once again, you receive commensurate to what you're willing to give.

If you have an IBM member among your local interested magi, any one of them can easily help you. Let me know what part of Texas you're in and I'll put you in touch with your territorial vice president. I'll also send you what information I have available.

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I'm 45 miles south of Houston. I've attended Ring #39 several times (it meets over an hour away. If it were closer I'd join it immediately!)

I'm more than willing to join IBM as a non-affiliated associate member. I'm just trying to figure out what is needed.

Right now my local people interested are mostly members of the C.O.A.I. Clown Alley I help lead. There are some members who want to focus on magic in addition to their clowning. I think I'm the only one with any IBM connection and as this thread demonstrates my connection is tenuous :o)

Most of the people are new to magic and the IBM code of ethics and instructional material will be a great starting point. Plus, from what I've experienced with the good men and women of IBM Ring #39 I am sold on IBM being a great organization that I want to be involved with.

Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
Hi Curt--

I just left you a Personal Message. I hope to hear from you soon.

--Dal
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
I've been involved in this discussion in the past several times including when we set up Ring 309 on Cape Cod. Skip has great advice and lists many advantages. The biggest advantage to me is by forming an Assembly or Ring, your meetings can be listed in the Linking Ring or MUM. This lets visiting magicians and lecturers know you are in existance and they can contact you to participate in your meetings. If you are non-affiliated, they may not find you.

Best thing to do is have that first meeting and discuss it among all of those interested. The 10 need to support the committment.

Mark Weidhaas
SAM President-Elect
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-12-08 13:58, Skip Way wrote:
Ah, the old complaint - "THEY never do anything for US!"

The Ring or Assembly that sits quietly in their corner waiting for the "great powers" to discover them will probably be waiting a long, long time. It's the Ring that asks for help that receives it. It's the Ring that invites the Int'l President and TVP/RVP to visit and takes the initiative to arrange lodging and functions that is so honored. It's the Ring that submits stories, reports, Parades and photos to the Linking Ring and M-U-M that has them published. It's the Ring that works with the International leadership that is recognized and excels. It's the Ring that takes the initiative to change a discrepancy or deficiency that moves the art forward for everyone.

We didn't wait for "Them" to "make" one of our members the TVP or Int'l President - we nominated and supported their elections...just as we support truly qualified nominees from other states and regions. My Ring proudly hosted five past presidents and we're grooming more.

The leaders and resources of the I.B.M. and S.A.M. have always been there for my Ring because we ask for it and contribute as much as we receive.

Curt, ask and you'll receive. Just a scant few of the benefits from S.A.M. and I.B.M. include program guides, performer insurance, health insurance, two of the finest magazines in magic, promotion and branding support, free member websites and email addresses, commercial discounts, endowment and emergency support, incredible conventions, professional world-recognized competitions, international recognition and fellowship, access to research materials, business advice and mentoring, structured youth programs, Ring recruiting assistance...and on and on.

As with all things in life - You receive just about the same level as you're willing to give.

Glad it's working out for you. We've never asked for assistance cause we just keep on rolling along perfectly fine. We all just find it amusing that the TVP never bothered to drop in on an event or function in the nine years we've been around as an "official" IBM ring. It's kind of a running joke in the club.

I've just always been curious as to what benefits there might be to being an IBM ring since no one in our group sees any difference between the time before we were one and now.

Our incoming president has even made noise about un-affiliating ourselves with the IBM and returning the group to its independent status. I suppose we'll finally have to ask for help from the IBM to see how one goes about doing that so I guess they will be of assistance after all Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Starting a new ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL