The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Magic On the Move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nagi cpa
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of nagi cpa
Does anyone perform - or have a suggestion for - an opener while moving?

Say you are strolling and see someone approaching from the opposite direction, say an attractive member of the other sex or busy business type. You know he or she is aware of you, but it doesn't look like they will stop to watch.

Is there a good visual effect to hook them instead of calling out an opening line like, "Do you want to see some magic?"

No coin rolls, flourishes and flash.
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Just make eye contact.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
...smile and say hello.

Mark. Smile
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I've always gotten people to notice me by using the Sponge Ding-Dong trick.

Yes, I'm joking. No, don't really do that.

Personally, I agree with the above. Eye contact. Smile. Say hello. If, as you say, they're aware of you and what you're doing, they'll stop if they want to. Though if you're looking for some magic to catch people's eye, floating something could work. Or, though you said no flourishes, even something just like springing the cards might achieve the desired effect.

And just remember that some people don't care to see your magic, and that's perfectly valid.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
A fire wallet gets a lot of attention and reaction. You may consider that as "flash", but if not it is worth a look.

In the right venue it will get you invited over! When you get there you can go into "Extreme Burn" or one of the other multiple bill changes. Really works well.

The only problem is coming up with something to follow up with that tops these two!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
nagi cpa
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of nagi cpa
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. A fire wallet is on my wish list Sammy J.

The guy at the local magic shop also suggested sponge balls.
punx469
View Profile
New user
New England
46 Posts

Profile of punx469
If you are thinking about going with the sponges check out "Sponge" by Jay Noblezada great DVD with an awesome bonus section with Gary Darwin, its my recommendation!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2009-12-25 23:03, mrunge wrote:
...smile and say hello.

Mark. Smile

I second that. Re-posting something I posted two years ago:

I used to pitch magic at a flea market... Every morning I would walk the length of the market, all the way down to the food court where I would order an egg sandwich. Along the way, I would naturally greet the other vendors...

"Hi" ... "Hi" ... "How you doing" ... "How you doing" ... "Hey there" ... "Hey"

After a while of doing this, I began to realize that neither myself nor the person I was greeting were actually paying each other any attention. I mean, I would ask a guy how he's doing, and his response was to ask me how I'm doing without either one of us actually answering each others questions - it was one of those major "DUH" moments.

From then on, I began to make an effort to greet people in such a way that they would pay me attention. I was louder, more direct, head up when I spoke, eye contact, and I began looking for ways to be more effective when I greeted people.

And I must confess, it has greatly helped me in approaching people with magic. If you want to be a better magician, then I suggest you walk around and greet everyone you pass...whether you know them or not. Don't worry about showing them magic, just focus on learning how to greet people. Learn how to crawl before you try to walk - just learn to say "hi" in a such a way that they take notice of you and not just respond with a mindless response.

There was a timeshare pitchman that worked the landing next to me...he had an uncanny ability to greet people. He held out his hand (as to shake yours) and just said "hey" in such a way that you would swear you knew this guy and were embarrassed that you forgot who he was... Very few people didn't shake his hand.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
There's quite a few threads in "The sidewalk shuffle" forum about gathering a crowd that could liely apply. Trouble is if you're strolling, they're walking and all of a sudden you pull out a wallet that bursts into flame...they'll likely walk faster rather than stop. so I think Kirk, Mark and Joe nail it...make eye contact, and say hello.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
InventorRu
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of InventorRu
Well..i know you said 'no coin rolls' but I guess you could stand still first to make sure he/she has seen you,pause and look up into open space and pull a coin out of the air.
It seems to me you only need something to momentarily grab his/her attention then once you've got that you can gain more ground with something else which suits you.
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
Produce a cigarette, act like 007 lol
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
RobertlewisIR, that was funny, "Excuse me Miss. Is that a Sponge Ding Dong behind your ear?"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-12-27 20:48, nagi cpa wrote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. A fire wallet is on my wish list Sammy J.

The guy at the local magic shop also suggested sponge balls.

I respect everyone's opinion, but I have to say, my experience with the fire wallet has been less than encouraging. I have used it as an impromptu bit dozens of times, and was shocked that a lot of people just act like they didn't even see it.

Seriously! There is nothing more frustrating than paying for something, let's say, at the local quick mart, doing the fire thing, and the person looks right through you as if you are not even there. You think to yourself, "Are these people brain-dead?" I just had flames shoot up from my wallet, and they act like it's something they see everyday.

For that reason, I myself can't recommend it.

But then again, as they say, your mileage may vary.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
When I've tried to smile and say "hi" to random people on the street I usually get one of three types of responses: 1 - they completely ignore me and continue on their way, 2 - they give me the puzzled "do I know you from somewhere?" kind of look, 3 - they look half scared like they're thinking, "who is this crazy person and why is he talking to me?"

Ok.. so I've gotten their attention (at least they're looking at me). Now what?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2009-12-22 09:22, nagi cpa wrote:
Does anyone perform - or have a suggestion for - an opener while moving?

Say you are strolling and see someone approaching from the opposite direction, say an attractive member of the other sex or busy business type. You know he or she is aware of you, but it doesn't look like they will stop to watch.

Is there a good visual effect to hook them instead of calling out an opening line like, "Do you want to see some magic?"

No coin rolls, flourishes and flash.

Is it a for an actual Show or just to stop someone?

If it's an actual walkaround gig then I suggest flourishes, but good flourishes okay? Smile

Social? A strong surrounded levitation, preferably 10 feet off of the ground always stops them dead in their tracks... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
PsychoJack
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of PsychoJack
Blow a kiss to the person
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Magic On the Move (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL