The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Ralf Wichmann-Braco has passed away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I just got an e-mail from Eberhard Bärmann of Zauberfreunde Berlin. During the very early hours of 31 December 2009, after a severe illness, Ralf Wichmann-Braco, one of the most knowledgeable magicians in the field of floating effects, passed away in a nursing care facility in Berlin.

Ralf's book Schweberoutinen für Tisch und Bühne (Floating Routines for Table and Stage) was the book that inspired me to translate German magic books into English. I met Ralf at Ted Lesley's flat in 2003, when Ted opened his magic studio. Ralf reminded me of a typical college professor. Two years ago, my wife and I visited his flat in Berlin. It was packed from floor to ceiling with books, props, memorabilia, etc. -- all categorized and arranged so he could lay hands on anything and everything he possessed.

We corresponded by letter and e-mail, not as much as I wished, of course, because he had no computer, so much of the material I sent him needed to be relayed through his sister.

He was a real gentleman and a very, very clever magical thinker.

His death is a huge loss to the German magical community.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Thanks for letting us know, Bill. I never met Mr. Wichman-Braco nor did I ever see him perform, but I purchased the book you referenced as soon as it came out in the late '70s. (Interstingly, there's no copyright notice or pubilshing date listed in the book, so I can't recall the exact year.)

His ideas regarding single-thread hookups and the routines he devised using such hookups are indeed clever.
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
I am hurt to hear of Mr. Braco's passing, as another great man and magician leaves us. My deepest respect and warmest regards to his friends and family ...
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-12-31 19:03, Donal Chayce wrote:
Thanks for letting us know, Bill. I never met Mr. Wichman-Braco nor did I ever see him perform, but I purchased the book you referenced as soon as it came out in the late '70s. (Interstingly, there's no copyright notice or pubilshing date listed in the book, so I can't recall the exact year.)

His ideas regarding single-thread hookups and the routines he devised using such hookups are indeed clever.

If you have the original bi-lingual version of the book, the publication date is at the lower left corner of the front cover as well as the lower left corner of the title page. It is also on the bottom of the Foreword, where Peter Schuster, who was the President (Vorsizter) of the MZ. Berlin indicated that he had written his foreword in December of 1973.

If you have one of the early republications of it in English, there may not be a copyright notice. This book was pirated by an American magic company. Another English version of it was later published by Martin Breese.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2010-01-01 02:10, Bill Palmer wrote:
If you have the original bi-lingual version of the book, the publication date is at the lower left corner of the front cover as well as the lower left corner of the title page. It is also on the bottom of the Foreword, where Peter Schuster, who was the President (Vorsizter) of the MZ. Berlin indicated that he had written his foreword in December of 1973.

If you have one of the early republications of it in English, there may not be a copyright notice. This book was pirated by an American magic company. Another English version of it was later published by Martin Breese.

I have an English-only version, and I suspect that it's one of the unauthorized copies, as there's no publisher information anywhere in the book. I purchased it at Bert Easley's shop in Phoenix. Jack Sutherland ran the magic counter back then--I wonder if he knew he was getting pirated merchandise from his supplier.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1179 Posts

Profile of Chris
Braco's "Invisible Thread Manual" is now available as ebook (with permission of Martin Breese) http://www.lybrary.com/invisible-thread-manual-p-73399.html
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2010-05-09 10:13, Chris wrote:
Braco's "Invisible Thread Manual" is now available as ebook (with permission of Martin Breese) http://www.lybrary.com/invisible-thread-manual-p-73399.html

Wow..........
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Ralf Wichmann-Braco has passed away (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL