The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Final Penetration by Mikame (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
The video has to be the older one because Mikame himself is performing it. The newer ones were recently released.
JL608
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of JL608
For what it's worth - I received a few of these last week and they all work perfectly.

As mentioned, the instructions are confusing regarding the wood grain patterns but the key side is marked with a small piece of tape.

I've worked them multiple times without a problem.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
This is ONLY for info purpose.

In 2012, based on this effect, I made my own prop (for my own personal use) in Teak Wood and teak wood veneer. The salient features being:-

1. No need to keep a track of the side of the cube. The cube can be slipped inside the tube in any orientation/direction - Both, by the spectator as well as the performer. Hence there is no (so called) active position/orientation on the cube.

2. The tube, the cube and the stick can be examined by the spectator, including playing with the props by placing the cube in the tube.

3. The performer is in full control as to when to activate/deactivate the so called 'mechanism'. Its a fully passive design and thus simple and easy to use & operate.

Over the years this contraption has fooled many people in the know including a few magicians.

Sorry NO PM/eMail please. Thank you for your kind understanding. I am mentioning this so that one knows that such a prop exists.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
For smooth working of the prop, I had posted my thoughts on this thread (Posted: Mar 27, 2010 10:49 pm). Two years later, I adopted the same in my contraption and that made performing the effect much easy and smoother. One might like to checkout my post. Smile

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
I ordered this from Penquin after watching the trailer and only afterward, saw all the posts about defective units. Mine arrived the other day and I was pleasantly surprised it seems to work great! I'll admit, it is a little knacky. The one time it didn't work for me I believe was due to letting it drop on my close-up pad for the first phase. Removing it and letting it drop on a hard surface seemed to do the trick (although when I knock it out for the second phase I do so on the close-up pad as I want to prevent damage with the third knock as it comes out quite quick.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase. I think some that think it might be defective might want to play with it some more before returning it. 10/10 for me. Definitely recommended.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, SlipperySnake wrote:

I think some that think it might be defective might
want to play with it some more before returning it.

I agree, seems it just needs the right handling Smile
Anders K
View Profile
New user
Denmark
29 Posts

Profile of Anders K
I received mine yesterday, and it also worked out of the box, although it takes a certain "knack" to get it to work (as others has mentioned).
The quality of the prop is somewhat "rough" compared to some of the older items I've seen/handled. Also the stick differs somewhat from the photos, as it doesn't have any pattern, just the Mikame name.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, Anders K wrote:
The quality of the prop is somewhat "rough"
compared to some of the older items I've seen

Except for the missing pattern on the wood slider, what exactly do you mean by "rough",

the wood surfaces are not so fine and smooth or the overall wood quality is no longer

so high quality and has a coarser texture as the first batch when Mikame was alive ?
Anders K
View Profile
New user
Denmark
29 Posts

Profile of Anders K
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, Anders K wrote:
The quality of the prop is somewhat "rough"
compared to some of the older items I've seen

Except for the missing pattern on the wood slider, what exactly do you mean by "rough",

the wood surfaces are not so fine and smooth or the overall wood quality is no longer

so high quality and has a coarser texture as the first batch when Mikame was alive ?

Sorry for not being clear. The item has some sharp edges, and the wood isn’t exactly smooth. The block has a bit of chipping, but nothing that can’t be fixed.
Overall I’m satisfied with the purchase - I didn’t expect the same quality as when Mr. Mikame still was amongst us
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I want to thank individuals from this thread, especially Videoman for some really good tips and ideas. I am excited at the possibility of turning this prop into something quite different.

KJ
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2010, Ustaad wrote:

Quote:
On 2010-03-27 15:04, StuartNolan wrote:

I wonder if those of you who have had it a while have any tips on reducing noise? Its not a big problem but I'd like to get it as quiet as possible.

I don't have it. However I suggest apply some Fanning Powder (Zinc Stearate) to the cube as well as inside of the tube. Hopefully that might help reduce noise as well as help in smoother operation. Smile

Also very slight rounding off of all the six edges (and corners) of the cube (using fine emery paper) can be of great help.

Just a thought! Smile

For giving the corners & the edges a very slight rounding & smothering, use 320 or 400 Grit Abrasive Paper. The paper I use for such work - "Silicon Carbide Waterproof Electro Coated Latex Abrasive Paper - 320 Grit".

Hope that helps a bit.

Smile
P.S. To give you an idea, one such paper - 9 x 11 Inch Sandpaper,400 Grit Wet Dry Sanding Sheets,15PCS Premium Silicon Carbide Sand Paper for Wood Metal Ceramic or Auto Polishing and Scratches Removing
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3GW9X9Q/ref......PXRydWU=

Available in 3M as well. One needs to put in a bit of effort searching. Smile
One such - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/S......P928&s=p

Should be available on Amazon.com as well. Just search. Smile
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, Ustaad wrote:

This is ONLY for info purpose.

Based on this effect, I made my own prop (for my own personal use) in Teak Wood and teak wood veneer

This sounds very promising and clever Smile when I get my Mikame, I will try to understand how to do that ...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I don’t know how Ustaad built his but I’m sure it’s very clever. But I was wondering if it would be possible to do this using an external gimmick that you could palm or even wear if you know what I mean. That could potentially eliminate all the (very minor) issues with this prop if it were to work. It may require a tube with thinner sides.

In its current state I’m considering placing some self-adhesive felt dots on the cube to make it look like a die, but the real reason would be to cut down on noise when getting the block into position.

It would be very simple to experiment with those things without permanently changing or damaging any of the props so I’ll probably have a play with it when I get a chance.

Also, someone earlier mentioned the Mikame hallmark on the stick and they wished it was on all of the components. I can only surmise they must be a collector because I’m contemplating making my own stick just to get rid of the hallmark. I’m afraid sanding it off would leave the stick looking unappealing and I would like to keep the original intact anyway as I eventually sell almost all the magic I buy.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Look is minimally different, but works perfectly

Click here to view attached image.
Cebulon
View Profile
New user
Germany, BW
89 Posts

Profile of Cebulon
Got my copy yesterday. Personally, I would have preferred if the newer version came also with the ornamented stick design of the original edition but all in all that's only a minor point. The overall quality of the prop leaves nothing to complain about. After playing a while around with it (without prior looking into the instructions) I still couldn't figure out how it works (so I can confirm the correctness of the instruction's subtitle "The Undetectable Illusion"). The instruction is clearly written and easy to follow (with maybe one exception where you have to have a closer look at the prop to finally get the handling right...). Following the instructions correctly, the prop works reproducibly without any issues.
j2bgrt
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of j2bgrt
I received mine the other day and practiced. The gimmick takes a certain knack and surface as others have explained. I certainly have no regrets in purchasing this effect. Very happy with it! I would not say it takes
"knack" than the proper surface to use when presenting the trick. My experience today with presenting it was very positive. It is also was a trick I felt completely safe in handing it out for examination by the spectators, which, makes the trick all that much better and something I would never feel safe in doing with a spectator. Very good trick for being a reproduction.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Final Penetration by Mikame (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL