The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Opener and why (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Rich, I don't do mentalism, but that's a funny idea.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
I like to talk to the people first before jumping into a trick right away. It helps me feel them out and them to feel me out.

I usually open with coin routine, either a flurry or HH type of routine. My reasoning is that I have worked these effects for a long time so I can focus on reading the audience and letting them get to like me before I go into anything more involved

If there are children present or a loose audience the Sponge Balls because they are inherently fun, and if there are children at a table they need some attention before going into something more fore the adults. A loose audience will allow more byplay and not be too intimidated when volunteering,and such.

I am tinkering with John Carney's "Chill Pack" lately though and am curious to see how it will play as an opener in strolling situations.
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Fire wallet to get their attention and I then take out money from there for bill switch's - flames and cold hard cash - people pay attention to those!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I typically open with my sponge ball routine. Introduces an interesting item (purse frame) with a meaningful question, and then production of the first ball. They don't have to do anything but watch for the first couple of phases. As it moves along, rapport is established, they're laughing, a lot of magic is happening and then the magic happens in their hands. At the end, the 3 balls vanish back into the purse frame from whence the first ball came.

It's a min "act" unto itself. If time warrants, I can move on to other stuff, and they're ready to see it. Otherwise, I can move on, and they feel like they've seen an "act" as opposed to a "trick".

I dislike opening with card effects, and particularly pick-a-card effects. I don't like making the audience do something immediately, either. I think they need a few moments to size me up and see that I'm not that uncle who does a few tricks badly, but instead someone who is a professional and does professional material.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Real attention ........ the hanky and bra effect this kills .
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I have also opened with Doc Eason's "nuts and bolts opener." I like the intdiction of unusual (fior the venue)but every day objects. The routine has some great appropriate jokes and two kicker finishes.
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
340 Posts

Profile of dedikc
I often open whit a trick that contains funny lines, magic and people envolving.

I Carry my slice of salami. I come, talk to someone on my right. "Hey, the owner aske me if you...pause... What's your name please? Peter, I'm sure it's you! You have a ..pause.. (I produce slice of salami behind his ear or arm...) slice of salami!"
I then ask to other people: " has often peter a slice of salami behind his ear?"
"What about the other Ear? some bread??"

This alway make people laught, and thay ask who I am, because I don't say: "Hey I 'm Mister Magician!!"

At the end I put the slice of salami back to his ear after some fast trick whit it! The slice of salami vanish, and I follow by my other tricks.

This trick take 20 seconds.

Another opening trick, it's my first phase of my sponge ball routine. I come to ask if they come with it?! they don't with what! and I produce the ball in someone elbow.... This opening is funny and strong in magic.

Another way, is to come close to the table and to say something to someone on the table and to go to another table. An example: "Hey you have it!!"(and you go!) or " take care to your eisenhower or it will fall" and you go!

When you come to do magic, they know you. You repeat your question "Hey you have it!!" and you produce a coin or smtg else.

Another I like:
"someone called to offer you a trick, what's your name? (peter) Ok, it's the good men!!" and you follow by your firts trick!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
On this times I open with a Single Coin Routine, a Chop Cup Routine, Chilling Pack ( John Carney ) or Prohibition (cap in the bottle ).
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Paco iglacias
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Paco iglacias
What: I like to open with a game of three card Monte routine Ive worked out which gradually gets simpler and simpler but still remains un-winable.

why: its simple, fast paced, and everyone's interested in both gambling and congames on one level or another. and although most people have heard of three card Monte not many have played it before, so it makes people curious what its like.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Purely as a gag, I used to open a close-up set sitting at a table by showing an opaque handkerchief on both sides and producing a Close-Up Toothpaste box. I set it aside and later in the set forced the four of clubs on a spectator. Then I removed a four of clubs card silk from the Close-up box.

Another opener effect was the coin roll with the patter: "Watch the coin. Your eyes are getting sleepy..." Then I would segue into some other close-up effects.

Sometimes I would open with Louis Tannen's "Pack Full of Pep" from Tarbell. I would hold out the card case and invite a spectator to point her finger at the case, whereupon the whole deck would rise from the box. (As I recall, Bruce Elliott or someone did a survey of magicians making two lists: List One was the tricks magicians most liked watching other magicians perform; List Two was the tricks magicians most liked to perform themselves. Rising cards made both lists. I think any animated effect is strong as an opener.)

----- Amadi "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Opener and why (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL