The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Selling ads/coupons from local compaines on my stuff? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Just an idea that fell out of my head to maybe help with expenses.

First, I'm strictly local. Heck - unless I want to travel 3 hours in state or cross state lines to a city bigger than mine, I have no choice! I'm surrounded by AZ desert, and the coyotes aren't taking my business cards!

How does it sound to sell space for ads or coupons from local companies on things like:
-- Magician's Assistant certificate / "magic wand"
(This would be a loose coupon so the certificate wouldn't get destroyed)
-- "Learn Magic" email attachments
(These are PDF files, so they could be printed out. Might not be a good idea, because that could be reprinted several times?)
-- BOR magic books
(Would have to be careful about positioning so they don't destroy the book when they remove the coupon. Then again, they might hae to buy another book!)

I'm thinking places like:
-- Pizza parlors, esp. Chuck E. Cheese
-- A local business with minature golf, bumper cars, etc.
-- Ice cream parlors
-- Fast food places with kid's meals (or maybe just free sodas w/ meal purchase)
-- The local Hastings bookstore also carries a line of magic kits, as well as magic books

Anyone else try this? Any thoughts?
Ed
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
It's cross marketing with local companies ie. pizza shops, etc. Companies that cater to your audience but aren't competition. I would say put coupons in your goody bags for pizza shops and party stores. It promotes their business and is beneficial to your customers. I wouldn't advertise on giveaways such as; jumbo dollars, magic certificates etc. Overloading them with advertisements would defeat their purpose. They are gifts not advertisements.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 7:40pm
Speak with DJ Ehlert about how he cross markets with his restaurants so that it is a beneficial endevour for both parties. He has a list of 10 reasons why working with DJ can fill their restaurant.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
<<Overloading them with advertisments would defeat their purpose..they are gifts not adverts. >>

Plus why would you want to give away something fun, only to have it mutilated by scissors for the coupon?

With that in mind, you could easily cross promote such as, "Show your magician's certificate, and get a kid's meal for $1.99!"

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 7:53pm
Question:

<<I'm thinking places like:
-- Pizza parlors, esp. Chuck E. Cheese
-- A local business with minature golf, bumper cars, etc.
-- Ice cream parlors
-- Fast food places with kid's meals (or maybe just free sodas w/ meal purchase)
-- The local Hastings bookstore also carries a line of magic kits, as well as magic books >>

Are these places where you would expect to find your target audience?
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Be Prepared to answer a lot of questions from your adveritisers. How many people will this reach?

Give the a number such as;

1. Ed's Magic sends places these certificates in the hands of over 200 birthday party moms per year.

2. Ed also performs at several public and private events where they will be handed out as well.

3. Each parent in attendace at a birthday party show will take home Ed's magic goody bags. We will included your coupon in each goody bag. This is opportunity for your restaurant to reach over 1000 parents per year.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
10 years ago I worked for a radio station. After the Sept. 11 attacks they created a bumper sticker with the station call letters, logo, and a US flag. A huge majority if the stickers we saw on cars had the radio station stuff cut out and just the flag showing, even though it looked odd because of the way it had to be cut.

In another thread you, Ed, talked about your dislike of sales people using their tactics on you and making you feel like they were just trying to get more money out of you. I mean no disrepect nor attack on you, but I find this kind of advertising in things that are given as prizes, or in books that I've bought to be the same type of tactic.

I know magazines have them, the book store puts them in the shoppig bag, and there are commercials on DVDs (that just Ps me off!). With the exception of the DVDs, sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it doesn't, depending on my mood I guess.

So I would think you would want to weigh factors like that in your decision. Most of the marketing guys here might not look at it that way. But, like you, I'm not comfortable being on either end of certain marketing tactics.

Just my humble opinion,
Beano
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'm of the opinion that it can be done. But there might be other more effective ways to create additional streams of income instead. Plus, you want to have some sort of fan base and customer base first. Get out there, and get doing some shows, and work the bugs out of both your show and your business. First things first.

- Donlad
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ed listen to Donald you are taking your eye off of the ball. Give up the gimmicks just offer a great show, at a competetive price.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Donald and Al have spoken! I will shut up and listen. Smile

Thanks all!
Ed
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
Ahha, - now you are thinking in terms of creative niche marketing - congratulations! If you continue to be creative in terms of identifying your target market, and really KNOW your customer demographic, then advertising can actually be fun! Some advertising coop ventures might benefit the other party more than you at first, but there are just as many opportunities for you to cross market if you get creative and begin taking some advertising risks . . .
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yea selling Pizza's that is a great way to advance your career, as a pizza salesman.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Selling ads/coupons from local compaines on my stuff? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL