The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Appearing Lit Candle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I have been experimenting with a single candle production. The production is not of issue. My concern lay in what stratagem will be employed to light the candle after its production.

Let me elaborate.

I will have my right hand completely occupied. The left hand produces the appearing candle. It is at this time I would like it to light. I acquired a gimmick from Fantasio which has a built in striker for the appearance occuring lit, however, I do not like this as often times upon production the thrust of the opening extinguishes the flame.

Basically after the production I desire to have the candle light 'itself'. I am open absolutely as to how this occues, hence my effort to enhance via others. The chemical methods (al la self-lighting match) will not work here.

I just ordered a 'Flash It', from a house of fire. Well see what will eventuate. The downside is it could be dangerous in application.

I was thinking about an electronic element which attached near the wick area which was operated via a remote, but the complexities outweighed the advantages from what was unearthed in my search.

Anyways, I thought I would throw it out there, see if anyone has any ideas. As I mentioned, the right hand must abstain from involvement, so the left hand, holding the candle after production of its middle, will be the only operative.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Many years ago I did a manipulation act that incorporated a number of single and double lit candle productions from silks. I used props manufactured by Jim Rainho. The technology for igniting them--and keeping them lit--was a bit dicey back then (the '70s), but it's my understanding that he has greatly improved it. In any case, here's a link to his website--scroll down and look for the "Omega", "Flash" and "Double" candle productions:

http://www.rainho.com/STAGE%20TRICKS.html
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Donal, ill look into those, thank you.

Yes. Flash It. that's what I ordered. Seems dangerous though. ;o)
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Juan Mayoral did an effect like this in his lecture at Blackpool the other week. The effect was this:
He waves/flicks a silk over a table, a candle appears lit on the table.
I'm not sure where this information will be contained, I think he might have had some lecture notes. The whole effect could be created with commonly available magic props and a trip to a model shop. I don't think it was a marketed effect, more his adaptation to an existing one. Obviously he explained the effect in the lecture but it's not really something for a public forum.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fantasio's Candle and Ribbon works well, if it is going out, just extend the wick a little longer and make sure you have the tank full.

Fantasio also has a lit candle production with gimmick. This works well also, burning time is limited. Will not go out on production.

Lastly, having a burning candle on the table or stand is always a option to lighting a candle.

I made a gimmick that made a regular candle work like the production candle, but has extended burning time.
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
I have used a match pull (dependalite) with my own designed appearing candle holder to pull a match from the edge of my coat and "change" it to lit candle.
I just put a wick side by side with the match and then it can be lit quite long time. Also the wick material "seals" the match to the top so it cant come out on production. I have had no problem with the flame extinguishing on production.
F
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
Chad Long has a great Lit Candle production.
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
-Could somebody help me find an appearing lit candle (white) gimmick of Fantasio? Seems imposible to buy on the Internet...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2019, g.albinana wrote:
-Could somebody help me find an appearing lit candle (white) gimmick of Fantasio? Seems impossible to buy on the Internet...

Fantasio passed away some years ago, there was no notice that anyone purchased the rights to the Fantasio product line. Someone is making original appearing and vanishing canes and candles, but no one knows who that is, or if any of the other products will ever be made again.

They, whoever they are that is copying the Fantasio Candle, does not make any of the specialty line of candles Fantasio made. So you can purchase an Appearing candle and lite it after the production with a match, lighter, or from another candle.

https://www.abbottmagic.com/searchquick-......g+candle

Otherwise, you have to search the used magic market.

Surprisingly, there is now a metal Appearing candle like they made in the 1940's.

https://www.abbottmagic.com/Appearing-or......oryId=-1

I have Fantasio's Appearing lit candle, it uses a hand held gimmick, that has to be secretly obtained and ditched.
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Thanks a lot for the info, I will keep looking for it. Never saw the metal candle before, interesting!.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You should check with the fire marshal before using any form of fire (candles, dove pans, ETC.)

In Chicago, even. lighting a match in a school is unlawful!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Appearing Lit Candle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL