The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Float Me Alone Suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
Hey, is anyone familiar with this suspension. I see it in Hank Lee's catalog. It's basically a Flying Carpet type suspension, uses suitcases and sets up at the start of the routine and packs up at the end.

It's more expensive than a flying carpet, but seems more practical and modern.

Anyone have comments?
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
I suspect that the hotel and airline stickers have more than a little to do with the whole effect.

Gotta try this at home - Think zebra or tiger
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Actually, I'm wondering about the practical aspects of the trick. Is it easier to set up as claimed? Is it more or less deceiving (or the same)?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
As of today (4/6/02) there is a photo of the "Float Me Alone" prop shown on the Magic Auction and Beyond web site, here:

Float-A-Lone

The angle of the photo sort of flattens out the perspective, but from the looks of things it would be about as convincing as a standard Flying Carpet, which is to say not very convincing at all, unless your presentation is strong enough to misdirect attention away from that single upright support just to the rear of the floating part ("why isn't it pulled all the way back ?" must occur to the audience )

On another "Flying Carpet" thread I have already expressed my strong belief that the ONLY way to do the Flying Carpet is with two support screens as originally designed by Jack Gwynne.
That second support (pulled all the way out to the side) is a vital piece of misdirection.

The "Float Me Alone" prop may be able to get by with only one support because the fact that you set it up and tear it down in front of the audience may be enough to "disprove" the presence of any gimmickry. I would have to see it done live to form an opinion. The prop looks nice from the photo. Makes me curious to know how convincing it is in actual performance.
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
My personal opinion of "Float me a Loan" is that it is garbage!

I did a show with a magician once who performed the effect and he has had nothing but trouble with it. You could actually hear the audience whispering "What is he doing?" because it took him so long to set up "the secret something" when he pulled it out of the suitcase.

The effect looks very cheesy anyway.

Again, just my opinion but I highly suggest puting your money into something that will play much bigger in your show.

Your brother in the art,

Aedryan
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Thanks guys.

I saw the picture of the prop. I never liked the flying carpet, and was hoping the props and routining of Float Me Alone would diminish some of the drawback to the Flying carpet effect. I'm not so sure it does.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Float Me Alone Suspension (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL