The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » What gives? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
686 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
I feel a cold deck comin' yonder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOVdn6FYZeY&feature=sub
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1246 Posts

Profile of splice
Muleman is the guy from the phantom notebooks.

http://phantom-notebooks.blogspot.com/
SteveSmartMagic
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of SteveSmartMagic
Great to see the Phantom Notebooks back!
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Still taking the shots
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
artwo
View Profile
Veteran user
South England
332 Posts

Profile of artwo
Yeah its getting a bit old now...
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
185 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Good Lord, is that clip supposedly demonstrating a Charlier Pass on-the-square, or is it someone spoofing Wesley James?

Bret
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
I'm sure we've all seen Denis Behr's video on this, but here it is anyway :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHw57ulYR4E
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Bret, it must be a spoof. I don't *know* that, but I don't see how it could be otherwise.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Kimura, that is very naughty, and very funny.

I hadn't seen it.

Thing is, back when the James stuff came out, some of us decided against purchasing the set. It's hard to believe it's as bad as these spoofs make out.

Right?

The point of a spoof is to exaggerate. Right?

Either this stuff is very funny or it's just mean spirited. Or maybe it's both.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Well, I remember those threads from back when the DVDs were released, and I read all the entries in the Phantom Notebook blog back then (and it's shameful that I cannot re-read them), but having not bought or seen the DVDs, I had no idea what level of incompetence was being alleged.

I thought at the time that the allegations were twofold:

1. Jame's handling is sub-par for someone who is "teaching",
2. James fails to follow Erdnase's explicit instruction; i.e., his finger placement and such is not precisely the same as what is written in the book.

But I NEVER thought that James would put something like that Charlier cut on video. Assuming he had never actually tried a Charlier before, less than an hour's practice would have resulted in better handling than on that clip. He literally looks like he's never actually done one before.

It's embarrassing to beat a dead horse--especially one that was beaten a couple of years ago. But I am *truly* shocked. I honestly assumed the video was a spoof in the same spirit as Denis Behr's video.
lbmagic
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of lbmagic
I'm truly surprised to see comments from the regular posters here expressing shock that the charlier clip is real. Surely we all followed the endless thread on this DVD set a few years ago. Mr. Mule presented this clip and several others to back up his harsh review of the entire series back then.

Though I personally enjoy the phantom-notebooks, I recognize that the writing is a bit acerbic. However, he always backs up his claims, in this case even including video evidence, not spoofs.

I'm very pleased to see activity over at the phantom-notebooks.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
No need to be surprised. While I followed that thread, I didn't parse it for every detail, and I have no recollection of the videos.

What's funny is someone with 4 posts knowing who the regulars are.

Sometimes I feel like there are people around here posting under a dozen different names.

That's against Café rules. Smile
lbmagic
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of lbmagic
No need to post to read; been reading the Workers and Gambling Spot boards religiously for years...with just one screen name. I've even enjoyed the levity you often bring to the threads.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » What gives? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL