The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Harry: FREE offer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Okay, folks...

If you check out "Harry" on the iTunes App Store, you'll find what I believe to be a great card trick, which Dave Coyle and I developed. Here's the effect:

1. Card is selected from a real deck and returned. Deck is shuffled.
2. Deck is dropped, face up, onto the face of the iPhone. When it's lifted off, the chosen card is INSIDE the iPhone. Even better, when the cards are spread, it's NOT in the deck.
3. Magician says he can't use a deck that has 51 real cards and one cyber card, and proceeds to pull the chosen card from inside the iPhone, making it real again.

It was my goal to come up with an iPhone trick that actually incorporated a real deck of cards, and combined sleight-of-hand skills with technology to achieve a cool effect. I think we've succeeded with "Harry."

But Dave and I want your opinion. So, send me a brief PM here, and tell me how you think this trick can work, and how you'll use it in the "real world." I have 15 licenses that I'll give away. In other words, 15 of you will get "Harry" for free.

There is, of course, a catch. If you get a free copy, I'm going to ask that you share your opinion of the trick with others here on the Café. If it's as good as we think it is, you'll say good things about it. If it's not...well, we'll hope that it is.

(You can check out Dave's webpage about "Harry" by clicking HERE. It has a direct link to the iPhone app page.)

So...have it it, folks. Please DM me and let's see how things go.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
ArtofDeception
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of ArtofDeception
This sounds awesome, but what do you mean by "how it works"?, do you want us to guess the method and tell you a situation we would use it in? sounds like school work haha, do we write an essay too?,lol. I'm interested in this. why 3.99 though?
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
In order to give an opinion I would think one would have to see a demo of how it looks and what it can do first.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Blaque_Magik
View Profile
New user
Okinawa, Japan
79 Posts

Profile of Blaque_Magik
Just to make sure you know, I've sent a PM about this.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Just heard from a friend in Scotland who's tried Harry; my friend is one of the best underground card guys in the world. He says, and I quote:

Quote:
This app is pretty *** good, so good that I have deleted Kenner’s rising card app which is weak in comparison IMO. I have taken it for a test drive with Steve’s help and will be trying it out in the pub in the next hour or so.

Now, why I don't recommend deleting Chris' Rising Card app (heck, I have it myself), I think it clearly underscores how powerful the trick Dave and I developed really is. Still a couple of trial licenses available. Hit me up.
Cheers,
Steve

spencerpeterson
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
186 Posts

Profile of spencerpeterson
I got this and I'm really enjoying it. One of the better magic Apps for the IPhone, I highly recommend it.'
www.cleardeception.wordpress.com

The Magic of Spencer Peterson
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Spencer,
Thanks for your review. A friend of mine, Dominique Peeters, sent me the following review:

Quote:
Harry is a very clever effect, much better than all the other iPhone effects I’ve seen so far.

I'm a pure hardcore card guy, meaning I try to avoid gaffed cards or decks and especially technology! But when Steve showed me Harry, I just had to change my opinion.

For the first time ever, I thought to myself, *** that card really penetrated that iPhone! To me the best part is where he pulls out that card from the iPhone. That is just incredible, I can’t say it enough.

This one put a big smile on my face and gave me that special feeling of excitement. Not only does it use a real deck of cards, it's actually a complete 3-phase trick that left me amazed.

What's great about this all is that while it's not a knuckle buster it actually requires a sleight that can easily be mastered. I just think that’s special about an iPhone effect. This is something for magicians, not for Joe Public that owns an iPhone.

The routine is accompanied perfectly with well designed patter and is in my opinion something that will play well for any close-up audience.

Have fun with it and most of all enjoy the reactions. You (and Harry) deserve it!

I've posted a demo online. Have fun.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Meanwhile, Rafael Benatar has seen the demo, and said:
Quote:
iPhone tricks are more than a puzzle only when connected to reality, and this one is - and you see the transition of that barrier.

Rafael, thank you. I'm honored.
Cheers,
Steve

Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Steve,

I really like this. I like the connection, or bridging if you will, of reality and the cyber-world. It opens up new plot possibilities and presentations. Very nice. Keep up the good work.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have seen "Harry" in action and I am VERY impressed. Originally when hearing about the effect, I thought the simplicity of it would possibly weaken the reactions from it. I could not have been more wrong.

The simplicity of the effect makes it stronger. It is a simple and clean effect which makes it easier for the lay person to follow. It does not get overdone or overloaded on moves that are not needed. It is simple, clean and very direct. By doing so it engages the layperson.

I also love the fact that this does not leave the layperson feeling it was some fun "technology gimmick". They leave seeing a powerful effect that combines technology with magic to create an entertaining experience. There is a difference there and it is a huge one.

In this fashion, the layperson can really enjoy the effect and not see it as being achived through technological means. It is straight forward and the handling is very nice allowing you to be able to utilize some of your own moves.

My hats off for an app that really allows the magician to shine by combining technology and magic in a logical way which can only leave your audiences happy, thrilled and throughly entertained.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Irving Quant
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Irving Quant
I've seen a number of iPhone tricks, and most of them I won't do, but yours is one I'd definitely perform!
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Don Stachowiak has weighed in from Baltimore with his review of "Harry:"
Quote:
Steve, I like it! I haven't been impressed by most "magical iPhone" apps so far, but this one is is an exception.
I asked him what he liked about it, and he replied:
Quote:
Well, most apps are just programs that do a trick, and as such they are not that impressive. Harry is integrated with a genuine "cardboard" card trick, and only uses the technology to reveal the selection. It looks magical, rather than technological.

Again, I thank everyone who's taken the time to write up their thoughts on "Harry."
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Another review, this one from my friend Kolisar:
Quote:
I have to say, I was initially hesitant to consider this app. I have been disappointed by “magic” iPhone apps that, when seen, cause people to say “cute program” and not leave them with the sense of amazement that one hopes to achieve with a magical effect. Fortunately, “Harry” does not disappoint. The sliding in of the selected card option is a nice visual that dramatically adds to the effect. “Harry” is a great, and all too rare, example of an iPhone magic app that successfully combines technology and sleight of hand. And, if you can temporarily, and surreptitiously remove the selection from the physical deck, it adds to the illusion. The reactions I have received from “Harry” have been great, including one person who thought that the card was slid under the screen protector until I turned the card over.

At this point, please allow me to remind you that the easiest way to find "Harry" on the iTunes App Store is by clicking HERE, and clicking on the icon in the upper left hand corner. Thanks.
Cheers,
Steve

Diamond7Jeff
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Diamond7Jeff
Hi all,
I haven't really been much of a fan of "tech" tricks, and was a bit skeptical, but intrigued with Steve's new effect. I can honestly say that I'm a skeptic no more, but a real fan of this! As a "worker," this effect certainly holds its own for its combination of both the newer technology available, and the sleight of hand for us old school nerds. I've used this effect nightly for the last week in my restaurant gigs, and it has received nothing but the highest praise from the patrons. As mentioned earlier, it is amazing how many people actually believe the card was stuck beneath the screen in the phone - it is a great visual! Also nice is the fact that "Harry" is flexible enough for your own personal presentational styles. It is a really, really nice "app", and a steal for the price. Kudos, Steve - nicely done!!
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
This is one of the few Iphone Card trick Apps that has become a worker for me. It's straight forward and simple with some basic card handling skill. Don't overlook this because of the simplicity it is SO much more than the revelation of a card. There are many possibilities with this app!
Jason Wethington
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Hi All,

This is an excllent app. What makes it great is that its not an iPhone trick. It is obvious to the audience that there is more going on here than just the electronic abilities of the device. Also, it has some really nice otions that allow you to have the card instantly appear, fade in or slide in. Another cool feature is the ability to turn the card on the screen face up or face down. Then you tip the card off the screen and it becomes real. I'm told there are some other addtions in the works, like different card backs. I'd love to see an otion where you could slide the card off the screen, in a manner similar to that demostrated by Michael Ammar on his current tour. With all of these action, combined with some slight of hand techniques like Tenkai palms and the Lennart Green Snap Deal, you could get some incredible action of the card going in and out of the screen. I look forward to more ideas coming forward with this great app. Great work guys,

Marc DeSouza
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I cannot locate this and all click "here" above do not link to a working page..please pm me some information.

Best-
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
While the original site is down, you can read about Harry here, and find it on the App Store here.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Thanks Scott. Any other backs offered other than tally-ho?
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Not yet...but Dave tells me he's working on it. I'll be sure to let everyone know when it happens.
Cheers,
Steve

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Harry: FREE offer (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL