The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Guide to Street Magic / Bar, Club Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
I have to confess that I've downloaded the ebook by Jay Jay and Magical G...My god.

Well anyways, I have the Complete Idiot's Guide to Street Magic, the first 4 chapters are devoted to the history and principle of street magic, which is pretty nice. Although I wouldn't call the tricks inside "mind-blowing tricks and awe-inspiring illusions", they got a nice impact on laypeople even if they are dead simple.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Jay Jay and Magical G? groan....
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
"But most of all, being an amazing street magician, gave me everything I needed to
get any group of people, anywhere and at any time, to instantly like me and accept
me as the cool guy of the group."

at this point I stopped reading.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
A great book on the real work of street magic is "To Lure with Spectacle" by Jimmy Talksalot. He, like Cellini, is the real deal in street magic. The book, in paperback, is a little pricey at $35, but it is well worth it for the practical advice he gives on nearly every page. That is precisely why I was willing to buy it.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Mysterious Mike
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
258 Posts

Profile of Mysterious Mike
A lot of people hate on Ellusionist.com, but I think they are a good resource for everything street magic products.
The performance is what really makes it all worth while.
blackskirt
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of blackskirt
Confidence is king, which is unfortunately what I haven't got enough of.. DOH!
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Blackskirt, confidence comes from both having your routines down perfectly before you go out, and much much more from simply going out and performing them. It gets better every time. The reactions will give you confidence, so make sure you are good at what you do, in order to get those reactions. So if you feel you aren't ready yet, rather practice the technical aspect one month longer, until you can do it in your sleep, rehearse another couple of weeks, now with patter and presentation, until that has become second nature, too. This will greatly improve your confidence issues. But still the big step is to perform, so: be prepared and then just do it.
;)
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2010-02-10 04:58, madcats9 wrote:
Hey,
a guide that teaches you the relevant knowledges besides magic tricks, e.g. walking up to people, planning the programm, dealing with hecklers, audience control, dealing with messing up the trick etc.

Madcat:
You can read all the books in the world about swimming...But if you don't jump to the water...you never learn how to!
Prepare 3 sets of solid, well rehearsed strong magic and JUMP to the gig!
Best,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
madcats9
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of madcats9
Quote:
On 2010-02-23 15:48, Hansel wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-10 04:58, madcats9 wrote:
Hey,
a guide that teaches you the relevant knowledges besides magic tricks, e.g. walking up to people, planning the programm, dealing with hecklers, audience control, dealing with messing up the trick etc.

Madcat:
You can read all the books in the world about swimming...But if you don't jump to the water...you never learn how to!
Prepare 3 sets of solid, well rehearsed strong magic and JUMP to the gig!
Best,
Hansel!

That's a point, but without knowing how to swim you will - to stay in the picture - drown like a stone...

But however there is lot's of good information in this thread know, so thanks all of you so long, especially BenSimon.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Quote:
On 2010-02-11 01:50, Vick wrote:
Guide to Street Magic - DON'T DO IT~!!!!!!

Don't belittle performance art by walking up to complete strangers and forcing yourself on them

Magic is art, do artist force themselves on unspecting people??!!!

That is one of the most perverse concepts I've ever heard!!

Want to work street?

Learn how to really do it, Learn to busk

Brilliant.. I never heard it put that way before.. Vick, I agree 1000% !

Hope to meet you.. being we're both working in MD and have a common friend (David Breth) , I'm sure we will soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Guide to Street Magic / Bar, Club Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL