The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A little help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Hey guys,

I'm not exactly new to magic, I've been doing walk around and close up for a few years and have enjoyed every minute of it.

I want to build an act that translates well between all audience sizes to be a little more marketable (corporate and parties etc.). I have an idea of what I would like but I'm looking for someone to help kind of guide me through the process of building something like this.

Any help or advise would really be awesome. I didn't know where to really post this question becuase it's a little general.

Thanks for anything!

Also if you live in Ma and would be willing to give me some critiques I would greatly appreciate that!
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
What material you are doing right now in your strolling work?
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Too bad - I was just in MA all weekend. Hansel said it: let us know what you're currently doing and we'll go from there.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
My strolling work is aimed for small crowds...

things like:

Recapped
ACR and other card effects
spongeballs
James Brown's 11P trick
Silk vanishes(other things with a TT)

They're great but I don't think will play well with 40/50 people.

I've done really short gigs on stage before with:
Silent treatment (my version)
Ring Flight
Vanishing bandana
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
The material that you are doing in your strolling work can easily play up to audiences of 40-50. It's about learning how to present the magic properly to a larger audience, not about finding tricks that are "bigger" in some way.

Also, you don't need to have the exact same set that you do close-up and parlor. My close-up work is very different than my stage show, even though there are some similarities. You can market to both audiences with two separate shows. How to do that is a question about marketing and running your business, which you are best served asking about in the Tricky Business section of the Café.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I suppose it is a matter of how you present it but what about the visual aspect? I mean an ACR for 50 -100 people? the guy in the back is only going to really hear applause (or heckles haha).

I'm more or less looking for one good routine (maybe a couple of effects that are transferable) for easing into this kind of work.

I don't know if I'm explaining the why well but I'm looking for something that can play well for multiple sizes of audiences for simplicity. As time goes I will modify both but for breaking into larger work I think this might be the best way (for myself).
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Phil Tawa
View Profile
Regular user
Mass.
103 Posts

Profile of Phil Tawa
I'm from Mass.Dedham area,come on down if you're near. I have plenty to show you.
I learned my close up in bars. Do you go to the auction in Watertown At Ray's Magic Art Studio? I'm remodeling my house soon and have to get rid of lots of magic stuff. Come visit me and I will give you some real good deals. I can't store everything because as most magicians I have more magic than I can use kicking around. PM me and I'll give you my phone number!! I can give you ideas right over the phone.It's easier than my two finger typing style.
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
I would suggest learning a rope routine or two. They play big and can be used close-up, platform or stage.

Lots of routines to choose from: Cut & Restored, Penetrations, Ring & Rope. Professors Nightmare, Walking Knot, Color Changing, Fiber Optics, Stiff Rope, Linking Ropes ....

Have fun,

Metatron
Billie Bonkers
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Billie Bonkers
If you are looking for more visual magic then think about the traditional routines which have served us all well for hundreds of years!! In my experience NOTHING works better than a well executed cups and balls!! Also a good rope routine. Have a look at Fibre Optics as an example. Check out Cellini's cups and balls.
I Know its a bit of a cliché BUT all depends on how you do it!
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Smullins, Tim Ellis wrote a book awhile back called Kiddies to Corporate in it he writes beautifully on this very subject. If was sold at one of his lectures. I think it may still be available from Tim.
Richard.J.E
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Richard.J.E
One bit of advise I picked up once was about how to capture your audience, whether or not it's a group of 10 or 100. Your personality, which must be true to itself must engage them into the magic. If you are engaging, talkative and warming to your audience, they will react to you and it will not matter that your crowd is larger than for close up magic. Of course some effects wont work or wont be as effective but that's just my personal opinion. You could have a big box and saw someone in half with it and a Chainsaw but without bringing the audience into the magic, no point, 3 card Monte would be just as effective.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Awesome thank you guys so much for the info...

I think I have some good ideas now... I performed a small stage show tonight and it went really well and I had some guys come in for critques which helped a TON.

So thanks again everyone Smile
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Hi MentalistCreationLab - Tim Ellis here, and I think the 'Kiddies to Corporate' lecture was by Tom Jones.

Info about his book and lecture is here http://www.tommyjmagic.com/Catalog16.html
bicycle66
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bicycle66
Another vote for the rope you can't go wrong with it for all sizes and ages. Also as you know not being new at any type of event you need them to be interested in what you are doing and you usually have a short time to get that interest so something quick possibly some kind of coin production where you don't need to tell a long story save that for once you have them hooked. Sean.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A little help? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL