The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Any touch up ideas on silver plating (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I have some coins that are silver plated and looking for some inexpensive way to touch up the scratch marks.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Silver Sharpie?
Silver Paint?

That's all I can think of... but one thing is for sure, if you find a good solution, will you make sure I know? Smile
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I will Loren. I am going to stop by the craft store tomorrow and hope they have some silver leaf paint. Looks like real silver but just hope it matches the one I have. Cheers Pal and take care. PT
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Silver is sliver - might be time to make friends with a local jeweler and get the coins replated.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-03-04 22:05, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Silver is sliver - might be time to make friends with a local jeweler and get the coins replated.

Why didn't I think of that?

That's not a bad idea... thought it may end up being cheaper to buy new ones. A jeweler would know! Great thinking!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
There's also silver leaf in sheet form.
Replating is the most durable idea but nothing is permanent if you use them a lot.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Jeff O
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of Jeff O
Electroplating is pretty permanent but I don't what the cost is; subsequently if it's worth it. A silver sharpie seems like the cheapest and easiest alternative though but maybe it won't stay very well on the coin.

Let us know.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I have had a jumbo half dollar silver plated, it cost me 25 dollars. It looks great and has lasted a while now. I would have it replated. That way it will look uniform and brand new.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Thanks for all the responces guys.
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
...or, instead of spending 25$ each to retouch fake silver plated coins, you could buy real, soft, worn, silver Morgan dollars on eBay or at a coin shop for 14-20$ apiece.

You end up never needing to spend 25$ repeatedly resurfacin' the things, and they are always going to be worth what you paid for them in the first place.

And, real silver coins are just cool, eh?
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-03-05 17:43, Hare wrote:
...or, instead of spending 25$ each to retouch fake silver plated coins, you could buy real, soft, worn, silver Morgan dollars on eBay or at a coin shop for 14-20$ apiece.

You end up never needing to spend 25$ repeatedly resurfacin' the things, and they are always going to be worth what you paid for them in the first place.

And, real silver coins are just cool, eh?

This is true...
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
As an experienced ex-jeweler: the only real way to fix them would to have them replated. Which isn't terrible expensive. But Really silver plated coins? Not matter what coin size you like, you should be able to find solid silver alternatives. Silver ( or gold or platnium) plate with always wear over time especially if one is doing multiple coin routines (coin on coin) or even heavy palming. It just doesn't make sense. Also if they are nickle clad before they are plated, they will never have that true silver "ring" to them.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Spackle666, when we are doing magic tricks, like this:

you take out a handfull of pennies and a silver dollar.
you put the silver dollar in your hand and make a fist.
you drop in a penny, shake, shake, shake and out drops a silver penny.
you do this a few more times.

then open your hand and reveal a shrunken silver dollar, no silver dollar or a copper dollar coin.

either way you need to plate coins. and IMHO it's worth it.

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Any touch up ideas on silver plating (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL