The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Building an aviary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Desertbird
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Desertbird
Hey, guys! Long time since I've posted on here.

So I am going to be building an outdoor aviary for my smaller parrots (about 6 cockatiels and one budgie). I've been planning it for a while and have most of the supplies ready. It's going to be 10x6x7 with a metal frame, covered roof, timed misters (I live in the Arizona desert, and we would do this for the birds at a wildlife refuge where I worked at), perches/branches/swings, workshop counter for nest boxes, and a small herb garden.

One thing I wanted to ask was about mixing parrots and passerines; I have a dove and would love to get her in with the cockatiels. The cockatiels are pretty chill about everything and pretty much keep to themselves, so I don't expect any fights to break out (though the breeding male will probably try to chase her, he won't hurt her). I want her to be with the cockatiels because I don't plan on getting another dove for her to socialize with, and I know several of the cockatiels will easily warm up to her (the rest won't care, and the breeding male will never let anyone but his mate close to him). Problem is, are there any medical problems with mixing them?

As far as feeding goes, I would probably have to take the dove to an inside cage and feed her and the parrots separately. A lot of the seeds are the same, but I also give my parrots pellets, something I'm not sure a dove can digest. And, they would still have constant access to an herb garden. I have other aviaries with larger parrots, and every one of them has a mini herb garden, which works out pretty well. My chickens are the only birds that don't get a garden because they would destroy it in one day, though they get fresh greens daily.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Why would you put a soft billed bird in with all those hard billed birds? One good peck, and he's toast. Doves need shelter because they can get sick very easily. I think you should keep the doves separate. The 1st thing they will do is create a "pecking order," and the doves will be on the bottom. They will get "bullied" constantly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Building an aviary (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL