The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Close - Not Michael but a card trick! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I have put this on here before. I need some research assistance though.

I first read the idea behind this trick in More Self-Working Card Tricks, (Fulves). It was called Gemini Twins. Martin Gardner was the originator. I saw Ackerman do this right in front of me. He fooled the crap out of me. Yeah, I already had the darned book. Got him to sign it though! More importantly I've read way more of his work now!

I'm doing the version in Las Vegas Kardma, (you can find it yourself!) with a wacky initial control of the aces. It is the initial control I'm concerned with. If anybody's seen this control, via a giant fan, in print, I'd like to know the source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAafKCg2BSc

A warning; the word implying a vacuum is used early on. Darned profane sailors!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Awesome.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
I really liked this effect Kent. Im gonna have to get a hold of Allans book!
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Kent,very nicely done.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Kent that as teriffic.. that double fan work was beautiful
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
As usual, very nice.
Thanks for posting.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
To one and all:

Trick is all Ackerman. Kudos, money and fame to the Ack-meister!

His other notes are difficult to find but they must have printed quite a few copies of Las Vegas Kardma. I would get one if I didn't have it already.

KG
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
A few years ago I sat at a table in a nice Vegas restaurant with Bob Kohler and Bob Fitch (plus assorted wives) while A.J. Pollizi burned us down with a very nice version of this effect.

It began with the aces already somewhere in the deck, followed by a few shuffles. Instead of reversing a card at the chosen stop points, we each placed a dollar bill to mark our spot(s) - the idea being that high card would win the "pot". Ultimately, we all got an ace (of course), whereupon A.J. swooped up all the bucks, declaring "Tie goes to the dealer!"

Due to the easy-going soft-spoken presentation A.J. used (plus no faro shuffles and/or false cuts), the necessary discrepant displacement went by us all. I still pull this one out occasionally to burn magicians when needed - btw, a borrowed deck is de rigueur for the best results.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Thomas,

I like the idea of marking the spots with bills. I think the effect, as I do it, lacks some clarity. Keeping the bills adds a funny and profitable closure. Wish I'd thought of it. Tip of the hat to Mr. Pollizi.

I owe you a photo of a wand. Gotta get that done.

KG
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
The bills hanging out of the front and back of the deck give the whole exercise an amusing and somewhat surreal appearance, and this seems to preclude the possibility of the performer effecting any sort of sleight. This goes a long ways toward having the singular "move" dismissed as accidental, and therefore overlooked and quickly forgotten.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Kent,
That was sweet as candy my friend !!
Thanks for sharing, now I need to find that book.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Close - Not Michael but a card trick! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL