The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why do you do magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Someone once said:

"He who gets paid for playing has discovered the true art of living."

I don't know if that's true, but for me, it feels exactly that way.

There is nothing (well one thing) Smile that gives me more pleasure than captivating an audience with a mystery...

The fact that it also pays my mortgage is like living in a dream.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
For me, more than anything else it is the sense of wonder. I love to see effects, even when I know the method, whether it's me or someone else doing it.
I suspect for extroverts the public presentation is a big pull and that for critical, analytical thinkers the method is more of a draw. These things are interesting to me, but I most love the wonder of the effect.

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
dukenotes
View Profile
New user
Winchester, KY
70 Posts

Profile of dukenotes
I'm not sure I would be doing it had my Grandfather not been a magician. As a kid he was the coolest "older" person in my life and I no doubt stored in my mind that the coolest people do magic.

Duke
Martin Whetter
View Profile
New user
Red Deer, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Martin Whetter
Great post. Like others in this thread, I enjoy the sense of wonder and possibility from watching a great effect. I feel amazed at the creativity that went into the development of the effect and immediately set out to figure it out and learn it for myself.

I am predominantly an introvert and this helps, with the practice, research & learning... a great solitary pursuit. However, my challenge is getting the nerve to perform for others beyond my family and friends. It takes me out of my comfort zone. Whenever I do perform though, it feels great. I have come to realize too, that most people like magic but they like feeling special/appreciated even more; so it's really about the specatator. And I think that there's a real knack to making the spectator's feel special and involved. I guess that that's where the magic is... in the eyes of the spectators.

I've just got to remember that, the next time I get hung up trying to do the perfect palm...

:light:
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Why do I do magic? Well, the first answer that comes to mind is why not?
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
The moment you pull a card out of the air...or vanish a coin....that look on their face....the amazement in the air....the astonishment in their eyes....it's like a drug....once you see it, you want more and more and more and......

Smile
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
A good friend of mine, and a magician to boot, opened my eyes to this;

"Life is a journey and magic is the carpet that moves me along the path.

Magic is a Living Growing being that is ALIVE and Expanding! Magic is an art form that is never the same. Each remember, and perceive it differently. To some it brings delight, to some Horror and the reality of nothingness. While others are unaffected.

Magic is more additictive than the most powerful drug. It surrounds us, is in us, and we draw from all sources of our lives, and the lives of others, for inspiration."

This had a great effect on me and I now am in a passionate struggle to control that which is without bounds. It is the joy in a childs face. The wonder as the impossible is accomplished. And the joy of learning and performing a new effect. That is why I am involved in magic.

Most magically yours,
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
I am 28 years old, and have never had a real hobby in my life. I am intrigued and fascinated by the many, many areas in which to explore. I never get bored. There's always a dozen things on my magical to-do list. My wife doesn't understand that I could do magic for myself and be completely happy. Jeff McBride calls this 'meditainment'. It is a combination of meditation and entertainment, and is truly enjoyable. Of course, performing for others is wonderful, but I would continue to do magic even if there was no one to do it for. I love to pass the time with magic.

Jay Smile
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
See my last post to see why I will loathe myself for this (resurrecting old posts) Anyway no one said my reason so I figured I'd add it since it's different. For me although everyone tells me I am a natural entertainer and I do love being center stage, I honestly don't care much about performing magic for audiences. My friends love my stories and my humor.

I practice magic because I love the challenge and the dexterity required in doing difficult sleights and flourishes and I like the feeling of accomplishment when I can do one. It's purely a contest of skill for me, my name is Dan and I'm a sleightaholic. Smile <---Absolut magic

-Dan
Dolini
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Dolini
Why do we do Magic?
I look at it as sharing of an experience that I once viewed as magical. When I was 10 a man showed me how to cut and restore a piece of string. It was fun and we shared an experience together. The more tricks I learned the harder it was for me to experience the effect and wonder of magic. The magic was gone. The only thing left was to share my earlier experiences with someone that would enjoy magic as I did. Magic ceases to become magic when you tell how it was done.

Dolini Smile Smile
John O'Shea Dolan
johnosheadolan@hotmail.com
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
As a kid, I've always wanted to be a hero...with idols like Batman and Spider-man...but dreams like that don't often come true...

I admired entertainers, mainly Michael Jackson, and how he could dance with such fluidity...it was amazing Smile

But as I grew, I noticed a similarity between heros and entertainers, is that in the end, they all bring a smile to one's face Smile

Heros, they help others and bring a smile.

Entertainers, they entertain others, and bring a smile...

I've always wanted to help people...and I guess I'm gonna do that as my profession, whether it be a scientist or whatever...

But my entertaining part has already been fulfilled, I'm a magician, and I'm doing my best, to make people smile.. Smile

Cheers,
Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Magic to me is the process. The simplicity of method coupled with the complexity of presentation is a never ending process. I get no thrill when I stand before an audience, except to enjoy them and interact with them as I share my art form.
My love for magic starts with the idea and its growth to a presentation piece. Once it makes it into my show, I have fun with it, but I have to "grow" a new effect to keep my love for the art sustained.

Smile Smile Smile
Coram Deo
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Simply put, it's part of what I do and in turn has defined who I am.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
volant
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin
59 Posts

Profile of volant
The voices in my head told me to do magic. Smile
By the time you read this, you've already read it.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I've gotten back into magic because I enjoy giving people something to chew on. There is so much in this world that is either so obvious and heavy-handed as to be worthless (think most daytime television), or that is so obscure as to be meaningless (think any punditry). With magic, the plot is clear: a red ball turns white, an egg appears in and disappears from a bag. When I surprise people, I let them ponder away at something that happened right in front of them.
Xaero
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Xaero
I have always liked the idea of being able to take the impossible and make it happen. Magic is fun and challenging. Also getting popular with the ladies is a nice bonus. Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
for me:

1. creative outlet. I usually am doing something: music, programming, now magic.

2. I love to watch magic. when simon lovell
did deck-to-pocket (except for my selection) I swear I saw the deck shrink down to 1 card, MINE!. That's the way my brain works and it makes me want to share those experiences with others.

3. It's challenging. I'm somewhat shy and performing magic is challenging.

4. I like to teach and I think there is a similarity there.

frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
I love magic on so many levels. The history, the modus operandi, the performance aspect. It's all so special to me. Performing magic literally makes me feel better about myself. It releases endorphins in my body. I always wanted to make people's lives better but I could neevr be a doctor, or a man of god, or a politician but I can still be that guy at the restaraunt that makes your day that much better.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
I always wanted to make people's lives better but i could neevr be a doctor, or a man of god, or a politician but i can still be that guy at the restaraunt that makes your day that much better.

I can think of few more noble goals.

--Christopher Carter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why do you do magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL