The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A Brief Review of "Pipstreak" by Gregory Wilson » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Pipstreak is the latest release by Gregory Wilson.

The effect, briefly, is that a spectator chooses a card, and you magically scoot the pips from there respective, proper printed corners to the other end of the card where they are all gathered in a little huddle as in many moving hole plots.

I have seen this in a Michael Powers effect called "The defective deck" (Which I purchased and also highly recommended) but this particular routine eliminates the other card changes and gets down to the bare bones essentials. Also, the final position of the pips is printed in such a way that they are not perfectly aligned, (kind of offset) which gives it a more natural look, in my opinion.

Both routines are great in their own respective venues, and have their own merits, so the performer should judge the performing conditions he encounters and make his own judgment as to which effect fits the bill.

Having said all that, after having watched the DVD (Penguin Magic had this in my mailbox like lightening after I ordered!) and begun to work on the routine, I can say this:

First, all necessary gaffs are included, you only need to add them to your own working deck. You don't need to construct anything at home. A big selling point for me, as it seems more and more these days you order an effect, and then you need to spend extra gas money running around creation trying to purchase the extra materials to construct the gimmicks which should have been included with the effect in the first place. Very frustrating. Creators, dealers and manufactures of magic effects take note: As a whole we, as purchasers of magic effects generally don't relish the idea of spending extra bucks after we open the package in order to make the dadgum thing work. Include it in there and you might be surprised how many more of them you sell.

Seems like common sense to me, and just plain good marketing. But what do I know? I'm just the guy who buys magic effects, pays your light bill, etc...

But I digress, and I'm off my soapbox. 'Nuff said.

Back to the "Pipstreak" DVD:

What a great, quick effect! I personally favor effects where you impossibly alter objects, (aka Michael Ammars "Backward in Time" and the Albo card, and this is a good 'un!

Greg covers EVERYTHING you need to know, and he does it thoroughly.

First, you see him in several different scenarios performing "Pipstreak" for real people on the streets.

Then he explains several different handlings. He goes over it several times from different angles, in painstaking detail, and at the end he has an actual teach in session with another magician on the DVD and walks him through it step by step so you can watch from that perspective.

He also teaches several different sleights.

And he teaches a STREAMLINED version of the effect eliminating one of the gaffed cards, which gets RIGHT directly to the point. Quick, brief, to the point...for those times when you are rushed, I would guess.

By the time you are done watching, you should have a good grasp on the mechanics of this, and after reasonable practice, I would guess you can have it down pat in a day or two, at least the sleight of hand part of it, that is.

You will have to come up with a presentation that suits your personality. Greg can't do that for you, obviously.

Also of note, he teaches a really CLEVER way of doing the top change on an off beat that I wish I had thought of myself! Genius!

I would recommend that at first you follow Greg's handling, and he tips all he knows as far as giving you little nuances of performance. He doesn't hold anything back

What he doesn't mention is that there is a certain flexibility in this if you want to vary from what he teaches,.

For instance, I am discovering that it's possible to use the tip of your index finger to supposedly scoot the pip from one location to another, as in most moving hole effects..

I prefer this way, but Greg uses the corner of the card to drag the pip over,

It's a matter of preference, (And angles) I suppose.

But after you learn what Greg teaches, it should be easy to make the routine your own.

The only thing I wish were different about this, is that I would like to see extra refills available for purchase so that you can, if you wish, give away the card after the pips are gathered to the corner.

Although, the way Greg teaches it, the pips instantly snap back to their respective corners and they are then able to examine a normal, ungaffed card.

I think what else would be great is if they would make it available with not only the 4 of clubs, but also in the four of hearts, and or diamonds, spades, etc, That way you could repeat the effect in the same room as other people are looking on who have already seen it.

As a side note, I have to say I just love watching Greg perform! This guy gets down and dirty in the trenches! On all his DVDs, time after time, you see him THERE on the street, in their face, in restaurants and bars with REAL people wowing them one on one. And folks seem to love him. This guy KNOWS what works and what doesn't in the real world for real people.

Along with a few others, Greg is in my opinion as close to being a REAL MAGICIAN as a mortal can come.

No fancy boxes, no tigers popping out of trunks, no jiggly dancers, just real, in your face street magic. Whenever Greg releases a new item, I snap to attention.

Fantastic performer and one of the dog-gone best teachers of magic around.

Man, what an inspiration!

Again, I digress, and pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Would I recommend this effect? Unhesitatingly yes!

I've never been disappointed by anything Greg has released, and this is no exception.

The price for "Pipstreak" is 20 bucks at Penguin Magic, and if you call in your order, Mike Maxwell always gives personal, friendly, courteous service.

So streak on over there and get one! And tell 'em Daff sent 'ya! Smile
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A Brief Review of "Pipstreak" by Gregory Wilson » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL