The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Do You Dig Comic Books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
If you do, here's a free download for a new title that is very bizarre and fun. For those who missed Free Comic Book Day last Sunday:
http://www.onipress.com/blog/?p=1565
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Interesting as I was going to post that I like Western Comics. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Prof,

Thanks for the heads up on that comic. I go to the comic book shop almost every week & missed it.

Doug,
I am a big Batman & Vertigo comics fan but lately, I've also been enjoying Jonah Hex, a deformed bounty hunter from the 1800's. (As a matter of fact, the Jonah Hex movie with Josh Brolin & Megan Fox comes out some time in June, I think.)

I also picked up the Vertigo 4 back issue run of Weird Western Tales. Great stuff.

He's a book that I plan on getting soon although it's not a comic book. http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/we......center/1

Marqus
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Huge comic fan here. I also love the Jonah Hex book. I recently watched the trailer for the movie, and it looked like they didn't really "get it", which is surprising as its probably one of the most "cinematic" books.
What is the color of magic?
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
You're right, Dr.

I think they're going to use a supernatural slant to the movie.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Hex is also one of those past-present-future characters. I'm curious as to whether they will incorporate the whole time travel element into the movie.

He's translated well into some of the "softer" DC formats, like the Justice League and Batman animated series.

Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
http://www.collider.com/2010/05/13/jonah......nah-hex/

LOTS of info on the movie plus the Trailer and images. (You'll need a fast connection for the trailer)
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Keep up withthe "Action Philosophers" at WOWIO.Com
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
I have most of the original Hex comics.It was one of my favorites growing up.
I have to agree by the trailer that it doesn't seem like the movie "gets it",but it's hard to tell in two and one half minutes.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I thought the trailer looked a bit pedestrian. Just an ugly cowboy with exaturated weapons. meh.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Still got the very first Jonah Hex (#1).
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Glad to see so many of you like comics. I love the western ones too, Doug. And as a kid I devoured titles like House of Mystery, Twilight Zone, Creepy, Eerie.
Stanyon, would that be All-Star Western #10? I think that was Jonah's first appearance, in the same book with other stories featuring Bat Lash and El Diablo. He appeared in a story titled 'Welcome to Paradise'. How much is it worth these days?
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
Thanks Prof,

Lovely recommendation.
I grew up on 2000AD, Luther Arkwright and Sandman. Big fan of The Preacher (Saint of Killers!) and anything featuring Constantine.
ars est celare artem
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
I'm currently into House of Mystery (which is NOT the House of Mystery like in the past). Cain & Abel make appearances but it is a deep cerebral storyline.

iZombie came out recently & looks like an interesting storyline.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
What?!?

Nobody in this group mentioned Doctor Strange?!?

I even have the action figure!!!

(Hope Paramount doesn't screw it up in 2012. WB destroyed Batman.)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
I was into the Spawn comic a few years back and still look at them from time to time. I absolutely love EC horror comics and the rather newish graphic novels like 30 Days of Night and the Darkhorse hardcovers.

There's a fantastic DVD that's been out for around five years now that I still need to get. It's a documentary about the glory days of EC horror http://www.cryptdvd.com/
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Dr. Strange was good until he refused to participate in the god war. Then he became pretty lame pretty quickly.

BROTHER VOODOO on the other hand, has remained cool...snd Sister Voodoo...and Voodoo Chile.
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Thanks for new titles to check out, especially the new House of Mystery. I love the EC comics as well and grew up on the EC-inspired Creeoy and Eerie. Creepy is being reprinted now in beautiful hardback books that are a must-have for fans.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Do You Dig Comic Books? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL