The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Madison (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Anyone worked madison wisc?

koz
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I don't really foresee a lot of answers coming to this.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
starksanity
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of starksanity
This is from a friend (non-magician) who grew up in Madison:

Estate Street is the busiest area, from the base of campus to the capital building.
There are some Unicyclists and Jugglers who work it, but no magician sitings.
Madison is a college town, so the summer months are slower (when busking is more comfortable.)
No word on regulations.

Hope this helps
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Stark means State Street. It's a several blocks running from Capital to campus that's closed to cars: only buses and foot traffic. Lots of bars and restaurants. During the week there's a few street performers once in while (only seen musicians) that will do trickle shows.

Saturday's throughout summer and into fall there's a large Farmer's market around the Capital Square that would be perfect for busking. There's a lot of musicians that'll play around the square during the market. There's a balloon guy and an artist that does sidewalk chalk (that are amazing!) But I've never seen jugglers or magicians. There's a small circular stage area off the the square that I've seen bands use during market. Also during special events they've had performers there. There's quite a few other good spots...not in people's ways, but lots of foot traffic going by. Most people come to the market, walk around the square buying stuff then leave...so lots of turnover...you could probably stay in same location and could have new crowds every 20-30 minutes.

While Madison is a college town, it's the 2nd largest research institution in the country...so it's a lot more than poor college students. Lots of professors and professionals. Madison is also State Capital, so more professionals and white collar folks.

No permit is required unless you want amplification. In that case, you need a permit. But street performers only have to follow some simple rules (don't block traffic, give space to each other, etc.) City of Madison info on it:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/Business/st......ians.cfm

Another good possibility to perform might be the terrace at the Student Union on the other end of State Street. There's a large outdoor terrace overlooking the lake that's popular with not only students, but alumni, especially Friday and Saturday nights. They often have music on weekends. Could be place to do some strolling, or perform sets between bands. Not sure of regulations on that...would have to contact the University. If you're interested, PM me and I can ask around.

Hope this helps. I think the Farmer's market has some great potential, but otherwise it's limited...it's not a tourist town like San Diego or New Orleans.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Wow. This sounds like a place other places might consider emulating. Not that they will.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Thinking about it...they also have Concerts on the Square. Thursday evenings around Capital square they have various musical performers (anything from symphonies, to choirs) Lots of folks show up with picnic baskets, wine, etc. Might be good before show.

Also some festivals throughout Madison..."Rythm and Booms" fireworks being another possible venue.

If you need anything, the Joke Shop in Waukesha (about 30-40 minutes east of Madison) is run by Jeff Campbell and carries good supply of Magic and Juggling supplies.

A bit more than an hour east of Madison is Milwaukee. They have big festivals every weekend during summer, including 8 days of Summerfest (billed as world's largest music festival). But wierd thing is, nobody tips in Milwaukee...so despite traffic, never good spots. In fact a few years ago City hired Buskers to try to give City a more "hip" feel...program failed. So there might be chance to work festivals, but only if you get hired by festival itself or perhaps company to entertain at one of their corporate tents.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Remember the show "Laverne and Shirley?" That portrayed Milwaukee accurately. Working class city, with hard workers that squeeze a nickel until the buffalo craps. Great people there, just don't want to spend money if they can get it free.

Madisonis a college town and the people there are more generous and love a good show. Been a few years since I was there but I'm sure it hasn't changed.

Mazel Tov Koz!
Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Paddy,,,,you have to have a good show? I'm SCREWED!
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2010-05-14 06:06, Paddy wrote:
Remember the show "Laverne and Shirley?" That portrayed Milwaukee accurately.
Paddy

I grew up just south of Milwaukee in Racine but spent a lot of time in Milwaukee.
Just like it was portrayed in Laverne & Shirley? Ya, and don't forget to eat at Arnold's from Happy Days while your there. Say Hi to Richie for me.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Leon's Frozen Custard Stand on 27th and Oklahoma on south side of Milwaukee is still there...reportedly the inspiration for Arnolds. Soooooo good.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
I'm at a nearby Ren Fest this weekend. You guys make me feel like cruising into Madison tomorrow night to look for some where to check out the action.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
If you want the real deal skimmy on madison performing, pm me
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Nick...are you the one in the news article at:

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/mu......2e0.html
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Yess sir, that be me...
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
An email from the city asking about permits:

No permit is required. You may accept donations given to you but not ask for them because you’re not selling anything.

Warren Hansen
Street Vending Coordinator
Office of Business Resources
Economic Development Division
Department of Planning & Community & Economic Development
City of Madison, Wisconsin 53701-2983
608 261 9171 608 261 9171 Phone
608 261 6126 Fax
Email:
whansen@cityofmadison.com
Website: http://www.cityofmadison.com/business/streetvending
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Ive spoken to Mr. Hansen...............nice guy.....but as far as shows go, just do it. kinda like anywhere else. I can say this one thing, and its the best bit yet to be said:

don't dare make a show near any of the vendors. do not make shows around the capitol square, just perform on state street where they cut off traffic. and for heavens sakes, stay away from the woman wearing purple and wearing froofy hats!

follow that and you'll have undisturbed shows.
TristanBuckley
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of TristanBuckley
I hate when they try to prohibit hat lines.

"Mike Berger vs. Seattle Center" according to wikipedia:

A judge rejected Seattle Center rules on buskers. "Magic Mike" Berger, a magician and balloon-twisting busker, took the Seattle Center to court and won injunctive relief and a court ordered settlement of over US $47,000. Seattle Center had some of the most liberal rules regarding busking but even they could not pass constitutional muster. The Business Improvement District formed to manage Seattle Center claimed that they had the right to manage 62 square blocks in the center of the city like private property. They wanted to limit buskers by giving preference to approved buskers, regulating the time, places and numbers of buskers performing. The judge rejected the regulations, pointing out that... "while a street performer cannot offer a meek oral request for a donation from passers by, a beggar who does not perform can solicit Seattle Center visitors with relative impunity, subject only to general criminal prohibitions on aggressive panhandling."

It's silly and wrong for the city to say that because you're not selling anything you don't have the freedom of speech to ask for tips.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Madison (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL