The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Getting the coin out of the bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I wouldn't be surprised if there are threads on this subject already...unfortunately I'm limited to my Blackberry at the moment, and I attempted a search but it was exhausting.
I just picked up Kevin James' Perrier with a Twist, and I can't seem to get the coin out of the bottle without reaching inside with my pinkie to remove it. I've never owned this gaff before, but it never made sense to me that simply shaking the bottle would make it come out. Am I wrong about this? Does the neck of the bottle need to be a certain shape, or does the coin need to be a certain kind? Judging from the coin I have, I can't imagine it would operate simply by making contact with the side of the bottle...it's just too stiff (although it seems like it needs to be this stiff in order to work inside the bottle.)
I've always been told it will work when it contacts the neck.
Any help or information would be wonderful!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Using a quarter? As far as I know there's a knack to the way you shake. Have you made the whole trick up, missing bottle bottom etc? There's a place on Highland Ave., near Hollywood High School (opposite side of street) named SUNSHINE GLASS, who modified mine. If I can find the bits will bring to Dean's Wed.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'll bring the whole thing in on Wednesday, Pete. It uses a half dollar. I haven't worked through the whole routine yet...just the basics. You can work your magic on it for me.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I have been performing one version or another of coin in bottle for years and I have always used a half-dollar. In fact, I use silver 64 F-----g Kennedy Halfs I
purchase from Johnson Products. I always shake the bottle to remove the coin and about 50% of the time, the coin will pass thru the neck into my waiting hand. The downside of using this method to remove the coins is the damage done to the coin. Up until about a year ago, I would shake the bottle and the coin will come out, now I use a very long pair of tweezers to remove the coin.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I like the tweezer idea...do you do that as a part of the performance and just keep the work hidden? As I said, I can remove it just fine with my pinkie and a bit of cover...the routine requires that the coin come out of the bottle (not that it needs to, and not that I plan to do the routine exactly as it comes since I prefer to come up with my own whenever possible.) I just always see this performed where it pops right out, but in this case I have yet to get that to work even once.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
John Bannon has aroutine where he uses a tweezers to openly remove the coin from a small makeup bottle.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Andrew, glad to see you at Dean's and I think we all worked together to solve the problem you thought would be difficult. As they say, JUST DO IT.

BTW... Dean KILLED today with two totally new coin routines. Fried us badly.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Now I always use tweezers. I have several funny lines I use when bringing the tweezers into play.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-05-25 21:03, manal wrote:
John Bannon has aroutine where he uses a tweezers to openly remove the coin from a small makeup bottle.

He specifically recommends scissor-handled tweezers; they work perfectly.

If you use this method, give the tweezers a slight twist as you remove the coin. You'll only forget this bit of advice once (as you clean up the bits from the floor, and try your best to make a very unmagical moment slightly less embarrassing).
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I still prefer the shake out, and switch, all in one move.
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Quote 'I still prefer the shake out, and switch, all in one move'

I also prefer the shake out and switch. I'm using an old English 50 pence piece which hss a s***e f**d and have no trouble getting it out of the bottle

I also have a new type English 50 pence piece which has a d****e f**d and this is easy to get out of the bottle.

Michael J
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'm going to keep playing around with it and see what happens. After reading about the tweezer method, I do recall seeing that done once or twice. Seems like it would add some comedy to the whole routine if used correctly.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think medical forceps would be cool. You could first have spec "hold the bottle" and bround out a little saw and or hammer... then say, "No too messy" and then the forceps.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
You're a genius, Pete. I wonder if I'll raise any eyebrows going through airport security with a pair of forceps in my close up case. I'll let you know how that goes.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I just picked up a pair of tweezers today to try this out, since I'd never gotten the coin to come out on its own. I put the coin in the bottle after opening the tweezers, gave it a gentle shake to get the coin into position, and the friggin' thing flew right out of the bottle. Now it's working every time. Go figure.

I played around with the tweezers though, and I think it will make a funny bit of business, so I'll hang onto them. I kind of like the "hands off" approach on this one.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-06-09 15:21, Andrewzuber wrote:
Now it's working every time. Go figure.

You've got it scared now.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Maybe I went overboard with the rubber gloves. Poor JFK.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Getting the coin out of the bottle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL