The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2010 entrée: Craig Petty » » Your most favoured effect... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Hi Craig,

Do you have an effect that you keep going back to, which has been in your repetoire for ages? An old fave that you just can't leave at home - be it one of your own creations or someone elses.

I do a colour changing deck with a deck switch kicker. I keep wanting to leave it at home (to free up pocket space), but I love it too much and always gets such a great reaction (disclaimer - I'm a part timer, so perhaps its different..)

Charlie

PS - I understand if there is a gem, you may not want to tell!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey Charlie

I have a couple of go to effects which I always go back to time and time again.

I always perform Flipped Across from my DVD Flipped Out. It's kind of my comfort effect. If I am feeling slightly nervous I perform this as I know the reactions are going to be great and I can do the effect in my sleep. For big tables my Multiple Selection routine or the Pheonix production are the two routines I always go to as I know they are going to get killer reactions. When doing cabaret or stand up I always go to Cards Across or Bill in Lemon. If I am performing walk around I always do Spooning Around, Trick Shot Production from Pool Ball Miracles, Key Master or Rubber Ringer from Russell Leeds Banding Around.

Other than these routines I like to vary things up as much as possible. I have a very good memory for tricks, once I have performed something for a couple of weeks I can drop it for years and then go back to it no problem. For example last week I put Chop Cup back into my set as I was looking for something different. After one table I was performing my routine from years ago with no problems.

I am always creating and trying out new material and so a lot of really good stuff gets dropped so I can try this new material out. The downside with this is that I might drop something that was KILLER for a routine that is not as good. The thing is I have no way of knowing this until I try this new routine out. Plus I can always go back to my old effects if I need to. Everything I have released on DVD I have performed in the real world over and over again. For every effect I have released there are loads that I created, tried out and they just did not work. But as I say I won't know this till I try the effects out in the 'real world'.

Its hard to drop that routine that you know gets awesome reactions/ My attitude though is if we don't push our comfort zones and try new things we will never grow as performers. A really popular singer will always be writing and recording new music. Very few singers rest on their laurels and sing the same songs till the end of their careers. I fell as magicians we should be doing the same - constantly trying to improve and get better. Plus those 'old faithful' routines will always be there for us if we ever need them.

See what I mean?

Craig
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
A very detailed response Craig, thank you.

I think a factor could be how often you perform (professionally). As a part timer, I have over the past few years continuously evolved and changed the material I perform, but have tried to maintain two or three core effects so that I can work on the tiny nuances that really make the routines polished.

In Ian Keable's book 'Stand Up, a professional guide..', Ian refers to (I think) Billy McComb and others, who said that they are more likely to break in a new line rather than a new routine.

When this approach is applied to my colour changing deck routine, it makes sense to me. It started as someone else's marketed effect, a few patter and handling changes, a kicker added, a few more changes, a routine change so that it resets as part of the routine... and so on. I now have (IMHO) a really strong, instantly resetting, in the hands, killer mini card act - but it took a lot of real world performance time to get to where it is now.

As a part timer, I have had four gigs in one week, but have also had one gig in four weeks as well! I do agree with pushing the envelope / your comfort zone limits, but also cannot afford to be rolling out more than a few new things at any one time. A magician who is having to thing about HOW to perform the effect is not a great sight!

Confidence is an issue - mine has developed and built over my part time performing career. Having a couple of sure fire, perform in your sleep, killers is a great way of starting your night's work.

I appreciate that this is just my perspective as a part timer.

Thanks again

Charlie

Edit - a further thought!
I also think there is a difference in certain types of material. It is far easier to change / introduce / drop quick effects such as a 30 second transpo, compared to longer routines / sequences / acts that run for 2 minutes (as an example).
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Your card routine sounds excellent. I agree that the more you work with an idea or a routine the better it gets. I watch some effects on DVD's that are released these days and I wonder if the creator has ever performed the effect for real people let alone refined it over time. Then there are other DVD's that come out (cough Eric Jones cough!!) where you can see that the routine has been polished over time. The funny thing is even though you think the card routine in question has evolved to its best point and it cannot get any better I am sure that in a years time the effect will be different to what it is now. This is something that naturally happens over time, routines get improved and added to and generally get better. Of course the reverse is also true, I have created routines in the past that haven't worked. It was only my taking out phases or moves or even lines that the routine has become a much better effect.

I also totally agree with your further thought in the edit. When I am developing an idea I will frequently work with one part of the routine at a time before trying the whole thing out. This allows me to really see which parts work and which parts don't.

Again, I am quite fortunate as I get to perform a lot and so are able to change material round on a very regular basis. If you are performing part time I agree it is much harder to do this.

Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2010 entrée: Craig Petty » » Your most favoured effect... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL