The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Andrew Goldenhersch's Miser's Dream (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Over the last month I have had the great pleasure to spend some time with Andrew Goldenhersch, who has been here in Boise to perform at Mystique. I just got home from having a late lunch with him. Great time, good food, great conversation, great guy.

My wife and I had the great privilege of seeing Andrew's show at Mystique several weeks ago. Andrew truly is a gifted performer. His whole 45-minute show was great. But what stood out to me most was his Miser's Dream routine...

As I told Andrew today, even if you know HOW he is producing the coins, it STILL looks incredibly magical. He has structured that routine so beautifully that, combined with his flawless technique, it is pure magic. At the end, just when you think it's over (he has produced a jumbo coin from the participant's ear), he produces a 10-inch, 5-pound coin out of nowhere! The entire routine is gorgeous, as I said previously, but that final enormous coin... Andrew is a very thin guy. The coin looks about the size of his torso!

Andrew's Miser's Dream is by far the best routine for this venerable classic I have EVER seen, and one of the most magical things I've ever witnessed. It's not published. I told him I hope he never does publish it, and he said he has no plans to do so. But if you ever get the chance to see it, do so--you won't be sorry!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-05-28 21:39, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
. . . he produces a 10-inch, 5-pound coin out of nowhere!

And tosses it on the floor with a THUD!

I've seen Andrew do this a couple of times at the Castle, and it's exactly as you describe it: brilliant and magical. (Alas, by doing it at the Castle, it's very likely to be . . . shall we say? . . . co-opted? Ask Steve Bedwell about his routine In Over Your Head.)
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
One of the, if not the best most magical version ever performed. Classical, fooling magic at its best. Not a lot of cocaine nose loads of coins. Just magical productions that look real.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
I like Jeff McBride's Miser's Dream, it's been discussed and imitated but never equaled.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I simply think it's one of the most magical things I've ever seen and wanted to let others know that if they get a chance to see Andrew perform, they should do so.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
It appears that he's a gifted guitar player as well.
Does he combine music and magic in his act?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I know he plays the guitar, but I don't believe he includes that in his magic act--at least he didn't at Mystique.
My Lybrary Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I've done a few shows at Temple Beth Tikvah in Fullerton, CA, where Andrew is well-remembered for his guitar playing; apparently he was quite a favorite there.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Are there any videos of Andrew Goldenhersch to watch anywhere? I'd love to see it!
Magic is where you find it.....
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I would love to see Andrew's Miser's Dream- he brings so much to anything he does. He brought his guitar to Magi Fest last year, but only played it during a late night workshop. He has a lot of good things to say about our art. Plays the guitar well too!

Thanks, Scott, for bringing some much-deserved attention to this very gifted magician. His approach is unique and mystical.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
270 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
For my money... Andrew's is the best. Yes... including McBride. John Carney's miser's dream is a close 2nd for me, and for totally different reasons.

It was a pleasure performing with Andrew in Boise for those 5 weeks.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Andrew's scheduled at the Castle next weekend.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Andrew Goldenhersch's Miser's Dream (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL