The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Unbelievable (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Having forgotten an item at the store my wife and I decided to bring her parents home first and then stop by the c-store near our home to get the item. While searching for the item I heard the distinct sound silver coins striking each other. Of course I followed the sound to its source and saw the cashier holding a double handful of Morgan and Piece dollars that he just purchased for face value....a dollar each!

We drove past the C-store to bring the In-laws home, if we would have only stopped first I'd would have been willing to pay a few cents above face value for those coins! Smile

I was even foolish enough to tell the cashier what they were worth.

On a magical note, I did take out my own coins and show him a little of what they could do.
Wes
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Bet they're hot.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 23:56, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Bet they're hot.

That's what I told the cashier.
Wes
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Bet they're hot.

Or Chinese.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2010-06-01 00:36, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Bet they're hot.

Or Chinese.

No, they were definitely silver. They were of various conditions. They looked like what the coin dealer dumps out on his mat when I go in looking for coins.
Wes
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Recently a friend of mine was at a Bank asking for Ike dollars and the teller said she didn't have any but had 5 1921 Morgan Silver dollars someone cashed in for $5.
She sold them to him for $5. Now that was pretty lucky.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
A long, long time ago (1970's) in a land far, far away (Iowa) I was a school teacher with summers off. I bought a commercial building from my brother and opened a recreation center with a coin operated pinball machine, foosball table and pool table. One night as I was collecting the quarters, I started noticing some old liberty quarters. I started putting them aside and discovered after awhile the dates/mint marks were all different. One of the customers was apparently a kid who got into a parents coin collection books and emptied them a little at a time. I ended up with an almost complete set of silver quarters from 1916 through 1964. I never did determine who was using the silver quarters. I guess it was too bad I didn't have machines that took half dollars!
Magic is where you find it.....
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Although it doesn't happen near as often as it used too but "Back in the day" (yeah I'm old like dhouck Smile ) I could hear a silver coin counted back in change from several feet away!

Toward the end of the 60's my Uncle and Grandfather started grabbing up all the silver coins they could find and at one point I remember my Uncle having about 25 large coffee cans FULL of dimes, qtrs, halves and dollars. He also had a slew of Buffalo nickles and Mercury dimes! These were suppose to go to his sons but when he died his ex wife cashed em in on a boob job!

MMc
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
What a heart warming story, Mick. Thanks for sharing!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Dhouck

If you had said Pennsylvania I might have thought it was me putting the silver quarters in the machines. I had swiped a big bunch of silver quarters from a box in my grandma's storage room. Just played pinball with them. The store owner noted that I was coming in each day and spending silver quarters. Told my grandma and she got her quarters back. Me - I got in trouble.

John
The real magic is family!
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
John, your grandma was lucky to get her quarters back. I would have done the same thing if I had figured out who was using them. Anyway, it gave you a great memory. You were a Pinball Wizard, but had to pay the price!

Pennsylvania is a great state. It takes a looooooooong time to drive across it though.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 05:54, dhouck wrote:
[...]
Pennsylvania is a great state. It takes a looooooooong time to drive across it though.

Yeah, I used to have a POS car like that once, too.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Last time I drove across PA was back when they had the lower speed limits. If I'd had a muscle car or sports car, I'm afraid I might have contributed significantly to the State Treasury Dept. from tickets. It seemed like there was a patrolman every ten miles or so. Maybe a POS car was the safest way for me to travel back then.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Unbelievable (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL