The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Fool the Hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Magicians are familiar with “fool the eye,” “fool the mind,” and even “fool yourself.” I would like to explore “fool the hand” – an area in which I have only a little knowledge (dangerous).

Various test have shown that our dominant hand “learns” differently from our non-dominant one. If you place an object in your DH you will form a memory or recognition for that hand only, but an object handled by your NDH will also teach your DH. This fact should be usable for magic effects. I hope some has and can share their experience.

Example: you give a known object like a Wand to a volunteer to grasp in his DH. Then you give them another, strange object to hold in his NDH. If you later have him hold the Strange Object in his DH he will recognize it – size, shape, weight, etc. If the original Strange Object was gimmicked the DH can later be fooled as to what it holds. Say you give him a Brazil Nut to hold in his NDH, but it is actually half of a shell glued onto a whole Nut making it larger than a normal nut. This can be shown as a single nut and placed while saying, “Please hold this nut for me for safe keeping – close your fist so that it doesn’t get away.” Later you offer a similar phrase and place the nut in his DH – but actually place two Nuts. He will make a fist but not be able to tell there is a second Nut. Any suspicion is diverted because you previously placed and removed a single nut, so he has no reason not to believe you. He also has no anticipation that something magic is going to happen and has no reason to explore the tactile sensation of his DH.

This is simplistic and I am not suggesting this as an effect – but would like to incorporate this concept in a more complex routine. Silly of me, perhaps, but that’s how innovation works
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Ken, DH= "Dirty Hand", yes?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
No no -- the clean hand, please Smile

Ken refers to dominant hand (most often the right) and non-dominant hand.
Michael Kamen
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Good thought though, Jim. If an object appears or vanishes from the spectator's hand and yours are shown empty before the Reveal -- is there a 'Dirty Hand?"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
The dirty hand, is the hand that is not clapping, hence the peculiar and infamous sound of one hand clapping.
Michael Kamen
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks Ken, I have never heard about that before. I think I am right handed but do a lot of things left handed such handling cards and so on. But anyway that is very interesting.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Ken, I have to try this for I never heard of it either and I immediately see many opportunities there.

Thanks for the tip. Let's explore its extent and limitations and come up with routines using the principle.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I'm working on a routine in which two spectators hold a tray with one hand each, leaving the other free to 'assist' me in handling object on the tray. After I train them to always clench their fist and turn their hand over when I give them an object I will try having some magic occur in their hands. I can always have them switch hands to try Non-Dominant things if necessary.

I am hoping that by observing their cooperation with non-magic handling that I can sense when to go to the next level:

1) either one or both will become conditioned to the handling that sensory impressions won't matter,

2) they so enjoy being the center of attention they will do anyhting to cooperate,

3) some fake-placements to fool their hands as to the size or number of the objects.

my guess is that using objects non-natural for them will be better than balls. The problem will be getting enough 'hands-on' experience to fully expore the possibilities. Then again, performer confidence and ability to handle any early exposure can carry the day -- to mangle an old quote,

"When you are making magic out of nothing, any result is fantastic!"

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
OK -- I perfomed this at the local magic club last night -- not a true test of what lay people might do, but useful feedback on the approach and concepts of "hand conditioning" mentioned above. Here are a couple of observations based on feedback received:

1) regardless of how you direct someone to hold the tray they will do it in the most comfortable way possible -- or the one that either allows them greater visability of what goes on or greater ability to beam at the audience. In the future I will use this to learn things about my "referees" to guide the selection of performance modules,

2) the Referees should be allowed to participate in every effect in some way or they will force themselves into the action. I plan to give one a fork and the other a spoon to use as magic wands as a cause for the magic. They will have to set these down to hold an object and then Ic an use the Wand, etc.

3) the fake-placements in their hands not only worked, but one Ref asked whY I didn't do that sooner. He was expecting me to give him some "wrong number of objects" -- not only willing to "play along" but thinking of ways to ham it up. How much of that will occur with lay Assitants is unknown -- my belief being that you should have practiced modules available if you sense the moment is right.

4) doing a series of effects with the same objects is unwise, so I will mix in using a coffee mug as a Chop Cup, a Chink-a-Chink using pepper packets, something with the fork and spoon,etc. Personally, I would avoid bringing in special coins, cards, etc. and exclusively used "found objects."

5) the format of having two spectators hold a tray, stiff menu, table mat, etc. as a performing area was a compete success, with others seeing opportunities for coin effects they wouldn't do on a table top at a retaurant. Thus, the creation of a special performance environment has advantages and drawbacks -- opportunities for audience engagement but new challenges as well.

I used Creamers as my "found objects" and believe this enhanced the "sense of magic" over using traditional balls -- and they don't roll off of the tray.

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
In answer to several queries, Yes, I intend to put these ideas and approaches in a book/eBook. Lots of water to get under the bridge, though, to make it a performance guide rather than a jumbled set of ideas.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Fool the Hand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL