The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting Props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Hello all,

Are there any good sources (books, videos, etc.) on painting and giving a prop (whatever) a great finish?

Do you sand with really find sand paper in the last stages of finishing?

What do you use to finish you props after painting? Clear Coat Gloss? What?

:worry:

The idea for me is not to have some prop that looks great on stage, I want people to be able to handle the prop and say very nice workmanship...
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey Mark,
Do a search for "building tips". I posted an extensive description on this on another thread. It is broken into 2 posts. Building Tips #1 & #2.
Hope it helps Smile
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Mark it might all depend on what you are using. and also what kind of wood you are painting. you might want to see if you need a primer as well you know some People that can Help you in this Their Names are Doc, Fred, and Ron, I'm sure each one of them would know something what you might want to do is paint the way Okito did he got a very nice Finish out of Enamel plus with the diffrent ways you can paint now adays you can sponge paint or rag roll etc. Remember now this is like your Magic Practice before you tackle the Thing you just finished working on Good Luck and PM me I need to find out Something. Don,
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Thanks Chance, I printed it out an will read through it tonight!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
-GriM-
View Profile
New user
The Emerald Triangle
51 Posts

Profile of -GriM-
Quote:

What do you use to finish you props after painting? Clear Coat Gloss? What?

:worry:

The idea for me is not to have some prop that looks great on stage, I want people to be able to handle the prop and say very nice workmanship...

i found "one shot" pinstriping paint (can be found in any automotive paint store) and a hobbie air brush does wonders comes out with a nice gloss and real depth to the paint
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I would recommend a book entitled "Professional Illusion Building for the Home Craftsman" by Dick Gustafson. This is, by far, the greatest illusion building reference I have ever seen. It covers everything from hardware to building materials, to finishing methods, including sources for many hard-to-find items.

If you need a great finishing material that will stand up to bumps and dings, I recommend a material called "Milament", by MBA Design. It is a very tough vinyl material that is self-adhesive. It comes in more than sixty colors and, I believe, is 50 inches wide. MBAs minimum order is five yards, but George Kimery (www.chaletmagic.com), who calls the material "TuffCote", will often sell you smaller amounts for about $20 per yard. This is the best finishing material I know of. I have used it on illusions and smaller props, and have never been disappointed.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One thing I would like to point out is that if you are working under stage light, glossy finishs will reflect light in ways that you probably don't want it to be reflected. A good satin finish is better in most cases.

If you work outdoor shows, where rain can be a factor, use exterior grade house paint!!!

Also, fabric stapled over surfaces that aren't going to be handled by spectators can give you good results.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting Props (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL