The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Going, going, gone ... to Atlanta (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
The SAM Convention Registrars are all packed and headed to Atlanta. Phones are
forwarded to our Iphone-4, so you can still make reservations directly with us
for the entire week, a single day, or for evening shows (719)637-9965. Give us a
call, or a FaceTime video call if you have the Iphone-4.

From what we are hearing, this is going to be an amazing convention. The crew of
carpenters will begin building the "Midway of Mysteries & Curiosities and Circus
Sideshow" on Monday so it can be ready at 1:00 on Wednesday - do not miss this
never-to-be-duplicated event!

The schedule includs the 4 evening shows, 9 SAM Lectures, 4 SYM Lectures, 2
close-up shows plus the close-up competition, 3 late night Hard Core Magic
Sessions that will go until??, dozens of Dealers and prizes you can win, the
Banquet and Caberet show, and many SAM Sessions, gatherings and a tribute to Mr.
Bob Little.

We think you will be surprised by the many famous guests and registrants that
you will be able to meet. The S.A.M. Convention is the Friendliest convention -
we hope we see you there!

You have a Friend in 2010 - check it out in Atlanta.

Mark and Anne Weidhaas
afuntimevent
View Profile
New user
CT
82 Posts

Profile of afuntimevent
And don't forget the Stars of Tomorrow Show! I believe the kids will rock the place!
The curtain rises at 1 pm Thursday, July 1.

See you there!

Marlene Clark
S.A.M. Secretary
Producer, Stars of Tomorrow
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I'm ready! I was able to clear my schedule so I can go!

I'll see you there Tuesday!

This is going to be fun!

ACE
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Always is a great time. I look forward to seeing you all there.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
WELCOME TO ATLANTA!

Hope you enjoy yourselves.

Peace and Godspeed
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Any numbers on attendance yet??? Atlanta should be a good location.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
We have seen slightly fewer registrations than Buffalo - but been busy with walk-ins. Conference Chair John Apperson has been very careful to keep the expenses within budget. Everyone enjoys having all the activities on one floor.

Mark Weidhaas
SAM President-elect
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
I think that Eli kid should have won.
Eli 's Dad.
( Just kidding . I understand there was some great acts in contest. But I'm very proud of my son Eli.)
Richard Forget
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Richard Forget
Paul Critelli takes his "job" seriously and seriously considers every judge selected, months in advance by the way. We were all given, well thought out, guidelines in terms of what is expected. We discussed  every act in minute detail. Every award was debated, considered and then reconsidered. Sometimes the debates were even heated but that is because there was a tremendous amount of knowledge and passion in that room.   

Every judge brought something different to the table. We had a historian, working pros, and past winners of this very contest in that room. Everyone was more than qualified. We were up until the early morning making sure we covered every detail. And then after our decisions were made we spoke to every act and discussed the pros and cons of their respective acts.  

I have performed in many countries and have been asked to be a judge many, many times. None of them even came close to being organized like this one. Paul leaves no stone unturned.  
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Richard! I have been trying to get a hold of you for a year. How are you? Shoot me an email when you get the chance.
MagicDawg19
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of MagicDawg19
This is my first year as a member of SAM. Unfortunately, due to
scheduling conflicts and fund conflicts, I wont be able to be there. I wish everyone a great time.

Charles Wright
Rome's Coolest Magician
http://www.charleswrightmagician.com
Richard Forget
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Richard Forget
Hey buddy, I sent you one
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
The close - up contest judges and the folks that put it on are THE BEST and the way the contest was run was incredible. Just to asked to compete is a COMPLETE HONOUR in it self. It is VERY HARD to be in the national SAM close up contest... I know... because I was a contestant. Thanks Paul and Vinny... Eric, Micheal and all the people that made this a success. See you again next year

Best Regards
MErritt Ambrose
http://www.MErrittAmbrose.com
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Richard,
Very, very well said.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
This was one of the best conventions I've been to yet!
I have no complaints, other than I lost a lot of sleep! There were almost non stop activities. I had so much fun, meeting everyone that I did. I learned so much, not only from the old pro's, but some of the young guys also! Everything was so convenient with all the activities located in the same area. The close up contest was especially good. I love close up magic, and I had a front row seat for the competition. I especially enjoyed the surprise show after the contest, where non-contestants did their acts. I thought some of them should have been in the contest, but I think they missed the deadline.

ACE
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
The only suggestion I can think of for future contests is don't let anyone do cards in the STAGE show. Take off points for anyone that does cards. I personally LOVE cards. At this last convention, it seemed the contestants that did cards all stood out from the others and did different card things. Which is GOOD.
But I overheard others saying if they see another split fan...

That happened to me at a convention about 10 years ago. I registered early and had second row seats. Every contestant did the exact same split card fans. By the time the 4th or 5th contestant came on doing spit card fans in TAILS!, I walked out. I went and got a drink and walked to the balcony, and then someone was doing a novelty act.
Like I said, this year, the ones who did cards in the contest did them differently than each other, so it was not so bad. What was bad, is on the professional show the last night when someone started doing card fans again. There is so much magic available to do, I don't think the same effect or trick ever needs to be repeated.

ACE
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I have only one complaint. There were too many dam cell phones going of during the lectures and shows. You'd think by the second day these knuckle heads would get it and turn they're ringers off.
But, that wasn't the case.

I really felt sorry for the performers who had to put up with these contant disturbances. There's just no excuse for it.

It's obvious that the convention organizers need to post signs and make announcements before each lecture and show.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here is the sad truth, some people need the cell phone on for emergency purposes, and the vibrate mode doesn't work well, or they just forgot to set it.

These are new times, and it would be nice to have a Bluetooth Unit with a built in automatic switch that would automatically turn the cell phones to vibrate the moment they walk into the room.

Kidabra instituted a unique system to prevent this. There are "runners" who would collect a $5.00 fine if there cell phone went off during the show. The money would go the local charity which KIDabra supports. The Staff called each other and those who had their phones ring were fined. It started a frenzy where friends would call friends and quickly everyone made sure their phones were turned off. The staff didn't mind this because we knew the money was going for a great cause, but we also knew we didn't want to continue paying over and over. It was a fun way to get the point across. (Place the Cell phone on vibrate.) The Staff must lead by Example!
Dennis Michael
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Great Idea about the $5 fine.
On for emergencies? Maybe if you are a policeman, on call? We never had that problem before cell phones and beepers. The problem of having to have a cell phone for emergencies. If there was an emergency, someone could call the front desk and have a note sent to someone to page you, etc. But it had to be a dire emergency.
Why does everyone all of the sudden have life and death emergencies so bad that we have to have our phones on when we are off duty and relaxing and watching a lecture or performance? It was never like that before.
I am guilty also.
I was the first magician in my town to get a cell phone, and I got all the work, as I was the one who always answered the phone, or called back the quickest.
Now everyone has one, and for most that is their only phone.
But I already set the standard and now my contacts know I will call them back rather quickly, so they wait for me to call them back, rather than get the first guy who answers the phone.
I still make a lot of money with my phone. But I am to the point, if someone really wants ME, they can wait until I call them back. Usually within the hour.
What ever happened to voice mail and calling them back later? Are we slaves to the phones? (Yes)
My better half has that problem at work with her young employees. They text all day on company time. They can't understand why she has to write them up. She can't understand what is so important that they have to check their phones every 5 minutes while they are at work.

:)

ACE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Going, going, gone ... to Atlanta (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL