The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Learning from Shakespeare? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Which are best books on history the old ones or the updated ones?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
"When I was a wee lad in school, History had yet to be invented."
--Billy McComb

I don't think the updated ones would be as historical...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Talking about doctors and words just give me a little idea: Suppose you wanted to make it appear that a playing card could speak. Well take a Doctors Stethoscope and hide a tiny r/r in it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I was heavily influenced by Copperfield. He was the big guy was in my pre-teens and teens. I can't do what he did, I have neither the budget nor the skills. But what I did take away from his work was the idea that every routine tells a story. And I always try to build and frame my routines that way.

I believe that, in a really good performance, Magic is a tool to telling a tale that is bigger then just the illusion.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-07-29 20:02, tommy wrote:
Talking about doctors and words just give me a little idea: Suppose you wanted to make it appear that a playing card could speak. Well take a Doctors Stethoscope and hide a tiny r/r in it.

I have very mixed feelings about technology in magic, especially micro-electronics. In some ways, its no different then what magicians have done for thousands of years, which is to exploit scientific principles unfamiliar to the common man.

BUT I worry that the existence of technological wonders cheapens and degrades the art. It is quite possible these days, for instance, to build a computer system that tracked the movement of a pen on a pad, converted the words to speech, and fed them back to an mentalist through a tiny flesh-colored ear-piece.

But is that magic? or just a technology demonstration? Where do you draw the line?
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-07-29 13:52, George Ledo wrote:
I think they should have use P&J to analyze the shrinks. Smile

I think Punch and Judy both needed psychoanalysis.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-07-29 16:36, Whit Haydn wrote:
--Billy McComb

Thanks for this.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-07-30 16:13, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-29 16:36, Whit Haydn wrote:
--Billy McComb

Thanks for this.

Someone once said "History is a story of wars told by the winners." There is certainly some truth to that, especially in written histories. But I was referring to living with history, and those who live with it don't need to read it or be told it. Its part of the cultural meeme set.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2010-07-28 14:55, tommy wrote:
“These are a few movies to look at more carefully. Those who have seen them, perhaps you can look at them more carefully than you did before. Tremendously revealing because there's always the revelation of the method, for those who are wise enough to see and hear it. There's always, always an exposé of how it's done and why it's done, for those who can hear and see. It's built like the Globe Theater as I say for the Shakespearian plays. It wasn't called the Globe for nothing. The globe, the world, where the stage went down into the audience and in those days they brought in audience participation. They made you get involved in the story and many people got carried away with the drama and thought it was all real and when that happens the actors know they're convincing, that it's working. When the audience forgets they're watching a fake, they're watching an act, then the actors are doing their job and it's getting across to the people that are convinced; because now you've inserted into their minds the possibility that whatever you're showing them can be real or is real and you've actually changed them. The alchemical change. You've changed them. You've cast a spell upon them. That's how it's done.”

-Alan Watt-

It was told about Paladin star Richard Boone, that he was knocked down more than once by stunt men who later said, "I thought I may have hit him too hard or something, and he was mad and was really going to hit me!"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I knew this fellow years ago who used to read cowboy books and play the part of one the characters in whatever book he happened be reading, in life. I say I knew him but I didn’t know he was from one week to the next. I only realised he was doing this after reading one of books and recognizing him in it. He would not only play the part but talk to you as if you were another character in the book, even by giving you the name. Funny thing was, it didn’t seem odd to me until I realised what he doing.
I guess we all copy people from films etc to some extent by way of using quotes and catch phrases and so on. You don’t notice it until you look for it. The arts fashion us. Its really spooky when you think about it. They even shape the way we talk, dress. hair styles and so on. I don’t know they want see someone they can identify with but rather they want to see someone they would like to imitate. But you can’t rally copy a magician as you can’t do the tricks. We can sing a singers song tell a comics joke or quote Shakespeare and so on.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
History is whatever you need to be told happened before to make sure the same stuff will happen again.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Wow, that's about the bleakest, most accurate post I've read here in a long time. If that's your own, Jon, it should be chiseled somewhere and you can go down in...
on the other hand, never mind.

Quite close to Shakespeare's view of history, I believe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Learning from Shakespeare? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL