The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Do any of you pros not do birthdays? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Neale,

You're going at it all wrong!!! You gotta let the parents know you're a problem solver. Don't tell them what you're going to do, explain the benefits of having you at their child party. Nay, not party....EVENT. Tell them how you're developing a relationship with them. Secondly, your other mistake is calling them FEES. Remember they're not fees, but rather they're an investment. This sounds less harse and you are more likely to close EVERY sale by using this terminology. Finally don't forget the SEO on your website, offering BOR and and this way you'll get a good ROI. Good luck my friend. Get to it you have lots of work ahead of you.....LOL

John Smile

P.S. more importantly I would ask you if you Critters do MAGIC?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Neale
I feel for you, but it is not just ventriloquist's that get that kind of questions. The most asked question that I get over the phone at least once a month is "what kind of magic do you do?" I have never came up with an answer for that one that a laymen would understand. What I'de like to say is that I do jaw dropping magic, but only a magician would understand that answer.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Quote:
On 2010-08-02 05:37, ku7uk3 wrote:

You just have to arrive to get beat up in a nursing home. The last show I did, I walked in the room and the old woman thought I was a thief and started hitting me!
The shocking part was that the nurses just walked away, not wanting to get involved and it was another elderly
I had just walked in the room and hadn't even started the show yet!

Steve

Are you sure she hadn't seen your show before Steve? Smile
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Say what you will about us kidshow and birthday party entertainers. A large number of large props, sound, light and stage gear in my inventory was purchased for pennies on the dollar from performers who considered themselves above doing kid shows. The economy can tank, but parents will always find that extra buck to treat their kids.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Quote:
On 2010-08-05 12:08, Al Angello wrote:
The most asked question that I get over the phone at least once a month is "what kind of magic do you do?" I have never came up with an answer for that one that a laymen would understand.

My answer to that is "magic that will entertain children and make your son/daughter happy they had me at their party."
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lorenzo
I wish I new what they were fishing for, but I don't think that they have any idea what they are talking about.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Al,
I'm pretty sure they don't know what they're talking about either. I don't have a great answer, but I talk about fun, interactive, age appropriate magic that even will love and will remember forever.
I think the question really means, "will you be appropriate and will the kids like you." I talked to a father one time who said that another performer he had talked to made a lot of inappropriate jokes and he wanted to make sure I didn't do that kind of humor.
I think they may also mean will you do big stuff like levitation or sawing someone in half, or do you have a rabbit.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A tip I once learned, is that when you don't quite understand a prospect's question (such as, "What kind of magic do you do?"), ask the person back, "How do you mean?" Encourage them to talk more and explain what they are looking for.

Note that this isn't, "What do you mean?" Rather, it's "How do you mean?" People will answer a "how" question different than a "what" question.

One person might want to know if your show will be what they consider kid appropriate. Another person might be looking for a certain preferred trick. Another person might only know about a certain style of magic. Etc. You won't know unless you encourage them to expand a little bit more.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hands up if you have a 'product' out about performing for children? Dang, that means three of us don't.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-08-05 18:22, MagicSanta wrote:
Hands up if you have a 'product' out about performing for children? Dang, that means three of us don't.

Heehee Smile
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Do any of you pros not do birthdays? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL