The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mis made (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
Are there any other good mis made silk routines besides the flag? I really enjoy the mis made effect, but I need something new and entertaining.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, there are other mis-made silk effects, but none that use the multi-mismade made effect. That is because everyone knows or should know what an American Flag should look like.

Check out the Mis-made silk from Rice Studio at the top of the Silk topic. They have a mis-made silk for years.

I also remember there are some sites with mis-made children figures like clowns and such.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tommy Windsor's original mismade was done with diagonal dyed silks. One silk was dropped and that color was missing in the bigger silk.

I made a mismade skelton for David Seebach once. it was 30" x 45". I mixed up the ribcage and hipbones in the one silk.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If you want a multi-stage silk routine, consider tricks like "Clarence the Caterpillar", "Smiley the Clown", "Mis-made Santa Claus", "Frankie the Snowman", "Birthday Candles", "Christmas Lights", etc.

I find they are a great alternative to a mis-made silk routine.

It you want a mis-made silk routine, consider tricks like "Jozo Bozo's Mixed Up Birthday", "Mis-made Santa (Jozo Bozo version)", "Nutty Neckerchief", "Bob the Zebra", "Trevor's Tree", "Jolly Roger Jumble", etc.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Isaiah,

There are some options here
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=54&8

There are plenty of options that you can even make yourself or buy from other magicians. Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
I am aware of some basic mis mades such as teddy bear, Santa Clause, but I was looking for something a little different, such as the skeleton example. That does sound interesting. Anything else out there? Thanks guys and girls?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The way I see your statement, is; if it would be totally different, then it would not be on the market, as only maybe only one performer would using it.

Creative magic has a price, if you wish custom magic then you must be willing to pay the custom prices or learn to make magic effects yourself.

Now you ask us to "guess" what you would like to own. I find that rediculus.

How about you telling us what you specifically are looking for in a Mis-made silk effect. Or, you could take the information offered so far and do some web searching yourself to find something you like, then you could come back and ask members if they know anything about the item you are interested in owning.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I purchased an effect from Duane Laflin some time ago called "Paint My Flower." It uses a Massal Tube and is very easy to do. (I think "Massal" is the correct spelling.)

Effect: You show an 18" silk with a black and white flower on it, and then put it into an empty tube. The children throw imaginary colors at the tube to color the flower, and it's shown that the children "missed" with splotches of color all over the silk. The silk is put back into the tube, and the children say the magic words "in a big way." When the silk is shown again, the flower is rightly colored and the silk has grown to 36".
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Michael -

That's an excellent suggestion.

"Paint my Flower" came up again and again on this thread about "best buys."

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I liked "Paint My Flower" because I used it with second graders who were learning about plant growth. I'd ask the kids, "What do flowers need to grow?" They would say, "Sun, soil, and water." I'd have them pretend to throw sun and soil to help the flower grow. Then, when they pretended to throw water, I'd shake my head and sputter, pretending that when they "threw" the water, it missed the flower and splashed all over me. Slapstick, yes, but the kids loved it.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I recommend this one

http://www.timsonefelt.com/cgi-bin/magic......&catstr=

I've been using a variation of it all summer in my reading shows and it's getting a terrific response.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I use a crystal tube/mis made flag combination, Mis made Santa, Frankie the snow man, and paint my flower.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I made a mis-made Jack O'Lantern set as my second foray into silk dying.

It is time consuming, tense work. I:

Pin stretched the Silk, Transfered the pattern to the silk, used the dye resist, Painted on the dye, Washed out the dye and resist. Then I found out the pumpkins looked pink because the red dye over powered the yellow and the black wasn't Black enough.
Started again, correcting over with the dyes.

I finally got a Good Halloween effect.

Every time I make my own silk paintings I swear it will be the last time. It is very easy to ruin the blank Silk at any time during the process (at least the way I used).

Still when you think of a fun routine and you realize you'll be the only one doing it you have to pursue it somehow. Paying a professional should certainly be considered though.

- Mary Mowder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mary Mowder, why didn't you try the fabic drawing markers on the market? Or a silk screen process. In art class when I was in high school we did the silk screening process. It is easy and you get a perfect drawing. We used several idea with this process, rubber cement making a negative image and a stencil prices of laying different kinds of cut fabic to block parts of areas. You will get sharper lines and edges with this process then with using dyes. As we just whiped the color over the silk using a piece of cardboard. They sell silk for silk screening, that is streatched on a wood frame and tacked. Just a suggestion for the next time.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Wmhegbil,

The first time I painted silk I wasn't on the internet so I only knew what I could find in the Library and having bought the materials I was bound to finish them. I did maybe 6 projects 'till my materials got too old.

I did experiment with fabric dyes which bleed and can be felt as a stiffness in the silk even after rinsing and don't provide the brilliant colors that true silk dyes can offer.

My dad used to work with silk screens when I was a kid and it seemed horrible. He had to cut the pattern with an Exacto knife but only through one layer. I'm afraid I decided against that based on old tech.

How did you wash rubber cement out of the Silk without damaging the silk?

Next time I decide to paint silk I'll do the research contemporary to the project. (And I'll consider hiring a pro.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

- Mary Mowder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mary Mowder,

Back in the 1960's when I was in high school we had a professional artist turned teacher. We touched on all the methods in art, not just drawing.

The rubber cement goes on the silk for silk screening. You draw your negative on the silk with a brush. Say you want to make an orange pumpkin, then from your drawing you block out all the other colors were they would be on the drawing, so only the orange areas are not covered with rubber cement.

Now you take the silk you want to print and lay it under your silk screen silk with rubber cement. Pour on the orange color and draw it across the open area. In other words instead of placing paper down to print on you print on silk on color at at time.

To remove the rubber cement, just pour rubber cement thinner on the silk and it comes right up and desolves. If printing a lot of silks, then some people have a silk screen frame set up for each color. The hardest part is to try and line up the templates so you do not have any or much overlap of color. Silk for silk screening is heavier then our magic silks.

About current fabric inks and pens, take a visit to your favorite hobby store, there are new ways of drawing directly on a silk to crate a picture. Not much bleeding of edges either.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
'Paint My Flower' is now on sale for Labor Day at the new Laflin website. It's $47 instead of the usual $65. Or, you can get the set of silks without the Massal Tube for $35 instead of $50. The prices are good through Monday, Sept. 6. Click here for the routine with Tube, or click here for the routine without Tube.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mis made (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL