The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Easy to Transport Illusion Other Than the Chair Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Abbott's Arrowhead hasn't been mentioned, yet. After the exterior is remodeled, it could look pretty good. FAB Magic is experimenting with a version that assembles quickly, and has a better color scheme.

I own a Rich Hill Spikes! illusion - takes up much more space because it doesn't break down. This is like Arrowhead in effect, but the mechanics are much nicer. It looks great, too! Audiences love it.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
While I don't think much of the box on head style illusions for kids shows (with the exception of the balloon sword box as mentioned above), one of the best "mutilation" illusions for a kids show is Magic Ian's Slice of Hand, also known as the arm box, which he is making and selling once again: http://stagetricks.com/shop/viewitem.php......224b2e57

It's not as scary to a kid as the various arm choppers are, and it fits my definition of a kid's show illusion - you can perform it solo and on a kid from the audience, although it is probably better performed on a parent or a teacher.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
I use cubed squared at birthdays to make the birthday child appear. It takes a little coordination with the parents to have all the guests leave the room for about 30 seconds so you can load the child into the box. Of course, you will want a good amount of distance between the box and the front row of kids to make it easier on the black art. (I bought it for my stage shows, but then found it works great for birthdays)

If you have enough performance area, I recently put the 6 yr old birthday child into a clear 6' balloon. This isn't a illusion, per say, but it "killed" and made a fantastic photo op.

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The advantage of FIRST making the child disappear and THEN making him or her reappear is that you don't have to get rid of the guests for 30 seconds (and I bet it really takes a lot longer than that to clear a room and fill it back up again). This is a technique you could even use with Cube Squared. The problem of lighting and distance is also easily solved with a flourescent UV lamp.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Quote:
On 2010-08-04 11:28, Wes Holly wrote:

If you have enough performance area, I recently put the 6 yr old birthday child into a clear 6' balloon. This isn't a illusion, per say, but it "killed" and made a fantastic photo op.

wes holly

Isn't that dangerous?
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Wes
Did you turn the leaf blower on in their living room? Two friends of mine put themselves in a 6 ft balloon as part of a trick. What was the trick that involved you putting the kid in the baloon?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Quote:
Wes
... Two friends of mine put themselves in a 6 ft balloon as part of a trick. What was the trick that involved you putting the kid in the baloon?

... maybe I've said too much already ... but for the record I have no idea what your two friends have done or do in this regard, and routines I have or will perform with a 6' balloon I have & will come up with on my own. So, there's no need to have people spying on me or to get the lawyers involved again.

(and if y'all don't know what I'm talking about, then that is best. Sorry you had to read it)

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Quote:
On 2010-08-04 14:51, kimmo wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-04 11:28, Wes Holly wrote:

wes holly

Isn't that dangerous?

In what way? The air inside is clean & breathable and there's plenty of it. When inflated the balloon neck is very stretchy and easily goes over the pencil thin head & waist of 6-10 year old. I have scissors on me if the balloon should implode (very small chance). I thought it over and looked at it from lots of angles. It isn't something I would always do, but when the planets line up, it's a neat thing.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Wes buddie
The names have been changed to protect the innocent.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Spellbinder,
I think I missed something. What / how would you use the light bulbs? Could that work with cubed square or with one of your square squares. That would help the black art a lot I can imagine.
Also, I like the idea of the blank cubes and I would be interested in one that looks like a wrapped gift.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It would work with Cube Squared if the fabric flouresces under UV light. If it doesn't, you could easily decorate it with UV flourescent fabric paints, adding stars and moons or various lines and designs, etc. Then you just turn down the room lights when you turn on the UV light so everyone can go "oooh" and "aaaaah" while insuring that black art is fully covered.

UV also works with Square-Square, but it isn't needed as much because the Square-Square can be made smaller and the fabric can be a less reflective felt or even velvet. You can also make the Square-Square of transparent PVC pipes filled with Christmas light ropes for added effect.
Professor Spellbinder

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
The Floating table illusion when it's packed in its suitcase is about as small as one can get.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Easy to Transport Illusion Other Than the Chair Levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL