The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Anyone ever seen this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dabah2014
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
157 Posts

Profile of dabah2014
Ok, so lately I've been experimenting with different methods for the following effect. Have any of ya'll seen an effect similar to this?

Effect: The spectator selects a card which is then returned to the deck. The card is NOT forced. The magician takes the deck and shuffles it and then mixes all the cards facedown on the ground. The spectator then flips a quarter in the air and it lands one one of the cards. The card the quarter landed on is revealed to be the spectator's card.

I have two ideas for this. Anyone ever seen an effect like this? Thanks!
Matt
dabah2014
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
157 Posts

Profile of dabah2014
I guess nobody's ever seen this since no one has replied lol.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I think you need to let it sit for more than 24 hours before you jump to the conclusion no one has seen it. I can think of ways it could be done, but have not seen it done before. On the other hand, I hate card tricks of the "pick a card" kind with a passion, and if a magician started by getting a spectator to "pick a card" whether forced or unforced, I would not wait around to see the ending.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Open Ponsin's book (Latest Tricks Revealed) and have a look at the trick using a bottle. It's a classic. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
yankay37
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
176 Posts

Profile of yankay37
I've never seen it, but interesting effect. I have an idea for how to achieve it fairly easily. Do you expect the deck to be observable after the effect?
OliveroG
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of OliveroG
The only thing similar I've seen involves a coin with a mini card under it, but this indeed sounds interesting.
I hope you understand, my dear friend, that everything you are seeing is a lie, but everything you are feeling holds true.
keeper
View Profile
New user
Kissimmee, FL
57 Posts

Profile of keeper
I think I thought of yankay37's method too ---my first choice. I must admit that the effect really does nothing for me. Maybe I'm looking for sense where I shouldn't be but the first things I thought of were....why? Why put the cards on the ground??...why use a coin?? How is it presented to justify any of it?
Make every day a magicial adventure

Al
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Mathieu Bich has a trick similar. Roughly: he makes a prediction, puts it in a bottle, puts the cards on the floor, spectator puts the bottle on a card, that's the prediction.

As to how to do your trick, I'd do the Lucky Coin effect, as OliveroG suggests. Having the cards on the floor helps: no need for the mini card under the coin, you can probably do the sleight as you stand back up using the visual change method described in Hugard's Expert Card Technique.

P!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Bich's is a good one to.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Anyone ever seen this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL