The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business - Getting Bookings & Feedback - (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
What strategies have worked for you.

Magic is not my career, but provides a little extra money on the side. I don't advertise in the phone book, but I do send info for summer bookings, (camps, libraries, etc.) I'm curious to know what has worked for others? Perhaps other questions will arise from this thread re: price, length of show, etc?

Do you send promo material?
-What kind?

Do you make cold calls?
-What do you say?

Do you walk in and explain your service?

After the show, do you send feedback surveys?
-What do they ask or say?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Do a cracking good show, you'll get work from it, put 120% into every show you do and you'll have more work than you can handle. Your show is the main advert for your talents.

I don't do mail drops,
I don't do cold calling,
I don't do gimmicks like discounts,
I don't do feedback forms
I don't go looking for work at all,

I have my ad in the Yellow pages, my website, my car sign written and the kids at birthday parties go home with a colouring picture with my details on it, apart from that I just sit at home and take the phone calls. Most of my work is recommends and word of mouth.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
John:
As a little background on myself, I am a magician but also a graphic designer and illustrator. I have been doing magic for over 18 years now and have found that my graphic design background has really helped me in my marketing of my show. Perhaps I can shed some light on your questions.

I feel as always, that you must have promotional materials. But before you have and produce anything, you must first create a logo and a brand message.

Your brand message must tell the target group who you are and what you do and why you are different then anyone else. This brand message will then act as a focusing point for all of your other related materials.

The first step in any promotional materials is the creation of the logo or brand mark. This logo needs to be professional and also refect on your brand message mentioned above. It needs to read well and quickly show the person what you are about and your style and what you do.

Once you have this logo, the logo is used consistently from piece to piece. This helps to get your brand message and image out to the target audience in the marketplace.

The next item to create would be your business card, The business card should have your logo on it as well as your contact information. It should not get cluttered with other details. That additional information is better suited for flyers or postcards.

My promotional material that I send out to people is made up of the following:

- a black hi glossy folder
- a sticker that goes on the front of the folder with our logo
- inside I have data sheets printed on my stationary. These sheets talk about:
- Bio
- Awards and Honors
- client listings
- quotes from satisfied customers
- a logo sheet for xeroxing
- flyer
- business card
- postcard

Each of these go into the folder along with a cover letter. The idea is that anyone can get a wealth of information from the details found inside. You really want to try and answer any question a customer might have before they even ask it.

I make cold calls but I limit what I say in them so I do not sound like I am overselling or getting them frustrated.

When I call for my fair gigs, I simply want to call to get a contact person's name and address. I simply say, "Hi, my name is Kyle and I am an illusionist specializing in Family style shows. I was wondering if you would know a contact person's name where I could send my promo packet to for future consideration for some of your events next year."

That is simple enough and to the point, that most people happily give me the information I request. It is key to make sure you have a contact person's name so your information gets into the proper hands.

I always send out a thank you letter along with a simple questionaire after every performance. This not only looks professional, but the questionare gives me great quotes that I can use in my quotes sheets.

I hope this information has been some help to you. Please let me know if I can be of further help to you. I can be reached directly at magic4u02@aol.com, or simply PM me at any time.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I have my ad in the Yellow pages, my website, my car sign-written and the kids at birthday parties go home with a colouring picture with my details on it. Apart from that I just sit at home and take the phone calls. Most of my work is recommends and word of mouth.

Hi,
I do most of this, except for having the car sign-written. Unfortunately in my area to many clients would not like you to park outside their house and would ask you to park around the corner if your car is sign-written. So it's not worth the hassle for me.

I also have a promo video for my family and adult shows and I also use direct mail
Phillip
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I love the marketing end of the business and I believe in my logo. Kyle what you say is GREAT!

However, so many people today feel that if you get a business card, promo material you are ready to go.

I think the first thing someone needs is the BEST SHOW they can do. Without that your promo material can only take you so far.

I had one young guy that I was talking to at the MagiFest convention where I was lecturing. We had great talks in the lobby. He emails me about 3 months ago and says that he just booked his first school show. He had been marketing that area very hard. But he asked me what stuff he should do in his show. (he was doing a reading show).

He had not yet written or put together a show at this point. I asked about that and he said the marketing was more important and that he could put a show together quickly.

I think he is working backwards!!

Ken
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Ken Scott is right on!
The first -- the very first -- thing you have to have is something to sell.

Without that, all the business cards and fancy logos in the world aren't going to help.

Whether you are a constantly working pro or an amateur who only does one show a year or somewhere in between, having a saleable product is essential. And by saleable, I mean something that is ready to go to the public, not just a vague idea of what you "might" do.

Once you have a FULLY scripted show, then and only then should you look into the various forms of marketing.

A magician is more than someone with a deck of playing cards and a stack of business cards with bunnies on them! Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
What Peter said.

Since you have the luxury of a 'real' job, take your time and build up a really good show and charge rates comparable to the full time pros. (i.e. don't undercut them because you can afford to and you will get a rep as budget entertainer.)

When I was 14, I had been doing shows for 5 years and was charging on $50 AUS (which works out at about .25c American ļ) A client told me I was worth double so I doubled my price one day. Within a month I was getting double the bookings.

If you have a lot of competition in your area, make sure you create a clear character/product that stands out. You don't want people to say, 'let's get a magician'. They should say, 'let's get Johnpert The Great!'

Make sure you put your name on everything. Whilst Clive (emazdad) does have limited marketing, he does have his name on his case (which is very nice) so the kid's see it for the whole show and I also remember that he teaches the kid's a song with his name in it. (is that right Clive?)

It's all about brand name recognition. Become the Coca-Cola of magicians. (but with a better product that doesn't rot your teeth.)
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
That's right Nicholas, Occassionally as part of my show ending, I teach the kids a quick song, which 1, reinforces my name into the heads of the parents who have arrived to pick the kids up & 2, makes the same parents laugh. It goes back to what a lot of people have said, including me. It's the show that gets you the work, When the parents arrive to pick their kids up, they see the end of the show, if they see the kids sitting having fun, laughing, pointing etc... a magician looking smart & in control who is funny and very entertaining, There's a very good chance they will book you for their kids party.

When you get the phone call that starts, "We want to book you, when are you free? Around so and so time/date" instead of, "How much for the magic show?" You know you're on the right track.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thanks guys. Your information has been great and also thanks for the kind words.

My information that I often post regarding branding and self-promotion is always with the understanding that first and foremost, you have a great product first. That product must be the best show that you can put together and a show worthy of selling out in the market place.

You are all right, in that the best marketing will never do anyone any good if the product itself is not worth it. You must invest the time in creating the best show for the market that you are targeting.

Then and only then can you go and do some of the suggestions I have mentioned. My biggest pet peeve though is that once magicians have a good show and once they have spent the effort in costuming and trying out the show, they skimp on their marketing because they 1) do not understand it and 2) do not see the importance behind it.

If you have a great product to sell, then you really must market yourself well. Your marketing is what will sell this great product to the people in your market. A consistent brand image and brand message will get your name out and get you those gigs you are looking for.

And Peter is right. Please, please, stay away from business cards with fancy bunnies hopping out of hats. If nothing more, it will make this designer and magician sleep better at night. haha

Thanks all for the great information. This is a wonderful post and I hope to hear and read more fine information.

Nicholas is right. Your show and your marketing materials should get your name out to the audience you are after. They should indeed mention your name and not just "a magician." This is what we call name recognition or also referred to as brand recognition. The use of a well designed and proper logo and business card is just the tip of the iceberg on how you can acquire this name recognition.

Some other great ways to do this, is to have your logo on all your cases as well as having your logo on the front of your Roll on table. This will keep your name out there during the performance and even after the show is done and you're packing up.

A way to get around the name on the car situation, is to use car magnets. These can be designed with your logo on them. They get your name out there while at a gig and if any client should ever have any problem with it, it can simply be removed and stored in the car.

Will any of you be at SAM convention next week? I would love to talk with some of you.
Kyle Peron

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I agree with everything that's been said, so far.. all great advice.

"Putting on the best show 100% of the time is the best pr you can do". It's the best advice.

Just from my own personal experience I have recieved numerous bookings for corporate functions from b-day parties. (I entertain the parents as well as the kids) Many of the parents in the audience work for corporations and large businesses. Some may serve on committes to hire entertainers for a special function... if you put on a good show.. they remember your name. It's helped me enough to make the transition that 6 years later about 75% of my business is corporations.

However, not to underscore b-day parties as they too are very important, and considered the bread and butter of the industry. It really comes down to a matter of preference on what types of shows you like to do. There is a market out there for all types of shows.. find the one you would feel happiest doing. I personally still love to do b-day parties as it makes me the happiest.

Corporate parties is where the "big money" is but if you're in this type of business strictly for the money, chances are you probably won't stay long at it. You have to be in this type of business because you love it.. regardless of the financial gains.

Another thing about putting on a good show, is that you will be hired year after year. Larger corporations put on many fuctions per year and if you have several on your list of clients, you can make yourself quite a comfortable living.

What is often overlooked and holds true for all business dealings is, you must be professional in the way you conduct yourself.

Lastly, being a genuinely nice person goes a long way, if the clients had to choose from someone that is difficult, to someone that is
easy to work with... most choose the nice.

That's my two cents.. and take it with a grain of salt as I only mentioned my own personal experience.

Smile Chrystal
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Chrystal:
Thanks for the great information and nice post. I agree that your show must be good and you must deliver a good product before you can even think about marketing yourself.

Chrystal. How do you market yourself and what has worked for you in the past? How do you market yourself now as opposed to when you were first starting out?
Kyle Peron

Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Some great advice here, and I agree with it all!

The only problem I have is that you folks have just summed up in nine posts what it took me 290 pages in Volume One of the Success in Magic program to explain! Actually I'm happy to see such great information here.

If someone reads this (and acts upon the advice)they will be ahead of 90% of the other magicians out there trying to build their professional practice.

There is a lot of misinformation about marketing magic put out by people who, incidently make more money from selling information than from doing shows, that it is refreshing to see accurate information from people who have "been there, done that."

Keep up the great posts.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Quote:
<<<<<<<<<Lastly, being a genuinely nice person goes a long way if the clients had to choose from someone that is difficult to someone that is easy to work with... >>>>>>>>

Too true, Chrystal.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Jim

I bought your course and it is very good!

I'm glad to hear you say that. In another board where marketing is the main topic, I brought up the, who has all the right answers? Meaning there are a lot of courses that people buy. A lot of courses focus on having a KILLER market plan and just as long as you have a just as "good" show you will get by. I totally disagree with their thinking.

There are a lot of courses and people who are making the money off of the magicians and not really doing too many shows. IF you know what I mean.

Just as anything I put out on the market you can rest assured that the stuff has been done by myself. I can't say that is so with a lot of the courses that are out there now. I call it theory writing.

Anyway great thread going here!

Ken
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Magic4uO2,

Thanks for the nice feedback.

With all sincerity, I would probably make you cringe with my story: Here goes:

The first year when I decided to try to do this full time I saw a blurb in the newspaper. Our Federal Government was sponsering 25 people to start their own business. After much persistance on my part (as I was turned down my first few attempts)
"Not enough business for entertainers in your field", I was told. Ha!

I came back armed with a 35 page business plan which outlined the number of entertainers in my area.. a five year financial forcast, the huge potential market out there.. as in future places and numbers of people that would book an entertainer in my field.

I ended up being one of the 25 accepted and it included an awesome chance of a lifetime. The Government actually paid me living expenses for one year and put me through business school in order to assist new business owners their first year.

This is the part that will make you cringe.. Even though I am well aware of marketing strategies, I have never advertised except for that first year. (A tiny three line ad in the local paper) Sounds big headed and I don't mean it to be at all... but all my business since that first year has ALWAYS been word of mouth. I do give out coloring pictures of a caricature of myself at b-day parties with my number on the bottom and business cards at corporate functions. That's it.

That's why I said it will probably make people cringe, especially those that really promote marketing yourself. I do in a way.. but through my shows. I'm the first to admit I'm not even the best magician either. I am really not suggesting this for anyone and don't want to sound boisterous (not my nature). I guess in a nutshell, if one is good with people, they see you really love your work and above all you entertain them that's important.

E-gads, I can see I'm going to get a lot of flak for this post. Not suggesting it as a rule.. again my own personal experience. Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This truly is a great post and I have really enjoyed reading everything presented here. You all have a wealth of information and first-hand knowledge and thank you for sharing that with me. It is appreciated.

Jim:
Thank you for the kind remarks. It is quite an honor coming from you sir. I cannot speak for the rest, but I thank you for your posts and comments, as I have always found them full of helpful advice.

You are so right about there being so many marketing systems and books put out on theory alone when the people really have not tested or even tried them themselves.

Ken:
I totally agree with you. I feel that it is never good to have just an "OK" show. One must always strive to have the "Best" show that you can have. It should always be a goal to strive to be the best and this often means re-evaluating yourself and your show constantly.

Chyrstal:
((applauds)) I must say, I am very much impressed with what you had to say. Thank you so much for sharing your own story with us.

I am not cringing at all. In fact, quite the other way around. If you were near me, I would pat you on the back and say a really big "You Go Girl!" for a job well done.

Not many people would have had the dedication that you had, to go through the research and the time involved to put forth a marketing and business plan. That is amazing that you did all that and got selected. People could certainly gain a lot from what you have done and learned.

I feel your biggest advertising is yourself. You surely seem to treat people fairly and you conduct yourself in a proper manner. If you get your name out there and get the initial shows, then your attitude and conduct really can be one of your best marketing weapons.

If you're good with people, treat them right and offer a dynmite and professional show, then your reputation becomes a wonderful marketing tool. Word of mouth can travel far and fast. This certainly seems like the case for you.

My hats off to a wonderful job well done. Thanks for sharing.
Kyle Peron

johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Lots of great information, no question.

I agree, first and foremost, one must have a solid show. I am happy with my show and have received positive comments over the years doing birthday parties and some other bigger shows.

For me, the next step is to tap into other markets via advertising. I only rely on word of mouth at this time. But, I do believe advertising is an important part of entertainment.

From the information above, I have got some new ideas I am currently not using.

Thanks to all,

j.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Ken & Kyle

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. I too have enjoyed your posts - as well as everyone who takes the time to share their experiences. This really is a great forum.

I only wish I had this when I started twenty-five years ago. Maybe I would not have had to learn this stuff the hard way!

Anyway... off to Vegas for my first SAM convention in twenty years. Should be a blast.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

Thanks for the kind words Kyle. Your posts are always a pleasure to read. Always uplifting and encouraging to all. Smile

John, good luck tapping into other markets, sounds like you already have a recipe for success. Smile

Jim, have fun at SAM!

This was a good post and enjoyable to read. Thanks to everyone that contributed. Smile
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
WOW! You guys ROCK! Great thread, jam-packed with powerful information! ...Thanks!

Here too is yet another perspective from another brother in the field along side of ya' fighting the good fight!

Basically, it's all about providing information and SOLUTIONS to what it is that THEY (your clients) want, need and desire!

The oldest adage in the world... "Your Name as a headline is a DEAD-Line!" (Seems to be a theme in the last few posts... sorry! Hehehehehe!)

Your (traditional) promo could-be a good tool if the client has already somewhat made up their mind to book you. It is a
'conformation tool' affirming their positive buying decision. (Or an "elimination tool" - As Jim sites)

On the whole, slick ad work is 'nice', but not terribly effective. (Unless...) They somehow engage the client 'emotionally'! (Solves one or more of THEIR wants, needs and desires) To-date, I have NOT seen a
'magician's' slick promo that does that wholy.

If they have not made a decision either way... and if they aren't already
'emotionally attached' to you as the right-choice for them, it could sell you right OUT of a perfectly good gig!

That's where a 'relationship' with the prospective buyer comes in... Either by way of your 'lead-generation' tools and 'letter system' and/or by your 'direct and indelibly positive impact' you created with them via your 'rapport skills' or best of all, BOTH!

I guess what I'm saying is, if they don't already know you or you haven't made an initial 'in-depth' contact personally or by phone, save your money!

That 'slick ad piece' may be bird cage lining for any number of reasons. They don't like your picture (people make 'snap' decisions all the time), the color or quality (or not) of the stock you choose and so on. Who knows what makes people do what they do? (Truthfully, THAT'S really YOUR Job... to know that stuff!)

You can 'stack the odds' well in your favor by the content of your lead generation letter and/or the quality of the relationship you have established well before they have even seen your piece... right!?

Now I know some of you are saying... "but MY stuff is different! I hired a professional ad house to design my promotions!" It's to YOU I'm responding... (Oops... I can see the claws coming out now...) I'll say it again: If you haven't spent the appropriate time and resources 'developing' them as a professional friend and client... SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Think about THIS... Who is going to be MORE-LIKELY to book you?
A) Someone who already knows and likes you... (where there's an emotional attachment.)
or
B) Someone who isn't specifically looking for what you do... or even in the position to do anything about it 'if' they did!?

I guess what I'm alluding to is no matter how cool, slick, spot varnished your advertising piece is, it is essentially worthless unless they (the buyer) specifically 'wants-to' have more information on you and your services. (The good news is... you CAN 'create' that WANTS-TO with a little advance work!)

Don't take my word for it... think about it. Remember the last piece of non-targeted
'junk-mail' you received in your mail-box... what happened to it? For the most part, unless it hit you 'just at the right time' and you were in the market for whatever the offer was... you probably just THREW IT AWAY! well...? THAT'S YOU with them!

...see what I mean?

In a nutshell, no matter how neat your
'slick promo stuff' is, it really doesn't matter unless you spend some time doing your homework and 'developing relationships' with your prospective buyers (specifically) you are waiting your time and money... The GREAT NEWS is, if you DO, you will have well over 10 times the impact with your promotional materials... doesn't that make some kind of common sense?

Again, just another prospective from one of us in the trenches...

I hope all your days are 'Positively Magic!'

I am at your service and in His service,
Deano
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business - Getting Bookings & Feedback - (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL