The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Ideas to Illustrate "Shine Your Light" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
It seems obvious with the many "light" effects out there, from atomic light bulbs to d'lites. But what else have you seen or done? The points I'm trying to make are basic:
1. Jesus is the Light of the world
2. He's put His light in us
3. We need to shine our lights.

Keep in mind, this is an illustrative message for elementary age children. They are primarily "church" kids.

Hit me with your best shot!

Much appreciation,
Jamie
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
"Light" tricks on http://www.ChristianMagician.org

More Than Magic! #3, at the 18:28 mark: Randy Craven doing "Baffling light switches": Jesus is our "lighthouse" theme.

Now That's Magic! #9 (one hour special): at the 27:54 mark MagicBob does the "Lit bulb to salt" based on Matthew 5:13-14 plus "This Little Light of Mine" sung in the background.

Also: "Spooky Lights" application, page 369, "Spiritual Applications for Tarbell 2" by Jule Miller. Based on James 4:7. Several light themed tracks available from http://www.livingwaters.com
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Thanks Roger,

You're a wealth of knowledge! I'll check it out.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
Ken Sibley
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Ken Sibley
Candle to Salt from Abbotts using Matt. 5:13-16
Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Involve me and I understand!
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Thanks Ken,
I have a cheap-o version of the candle to salt that I forgot I had. This is a great consideration!

Appreciate all you guys have contributed. Perhaps instead of me always needing an application, I will pose a prop or effect each week and let you guys run with the possibilities.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Jamie there's a new one being discussed here: (And this baby shines SUPER bright!)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=218&6

And check out the demo video!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
I used Dean Dill's Spottlight (http://www.deandill.com/spotlight.html). The penlight lights up the spongeball. God can light up our lives, then we, too, can be the light of the world. Then the light in the spongeball starts flashing, then goes out. The penlight then lights up the spongeball again. If we are to be the light of the world, need to keep in touch with the source of our light.

Thom
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I closed my upward show this year with this theme. I used the d'lite and bag of lights and it went over well.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Those of you that are vents (like this nearly normal magician) could have your puppet sing..

This little light of mine....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Milk in Lightbulb...you have a lamp that is on the stage shining...you vanish milk, the light goes out, you remove the light bulb, only to find it is filled with milk...which you pour into a glass...then put the bulb back and it illuminates the lamp. Many versions of this out there...mostly depending on how nice of a "lamp" you want.

As for the song This Little Light of Mine...Go Fish (a band) has a wonderful rendition of it. You can hear it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP0wXMTkU7k where a puppet team is using it. It is from their album Splash.
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
MagicBob does his version of "Lit Bulb to Salt" based on Matthew 5: 13-14 at the 27:54 (you can fast forward to this point) mark on Now That's Magic! #9 One Hour Special at http://www.ChristianMagician.org
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
It isn't an "effect", but it is a great illustration... Smile

With the house lights off, hold a light above a child's head. Point out that the child still casts a shadow, but because the child is as close as possible to the light, the shadow is as small as possible. Move the light horizontally a few feet, and call attention to the growing shadow. The further we are from the source of the light, the longer the shadow that we cast.

cheers, Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Wow - you guys have some great ideas and suggestions! Thanks so much!
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I illustrate it using D'Lites and the Bag-OLites.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
kazam65
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kazam65
Duane Laflin does a routine about going from darkness to light and illustrating it with the Russian Rings. I have done the same routine using the silk serenade. Anything where you are transforming something dark into something colorful, and that illustrates the point that Jesus, even today, is taking people from darkness into light.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
That's pretty much what I do with the D'Lites...but I think it is much more visual than using silks. Of course, the lighting has to be such that the specs can see the lights.

I also use the phrase "where there is light---even the smallest flicker---darkness ceases to exist"
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Revroy
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Revroy
These are not true illusions but, I have been doing science themed shows for the past two years and do one on letting your light shine. I do several 'tricks" one is the old milk light using salt, instead of milk. I do an electric pickle, I do a chem-light effect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKFRlza0w......ure=plcp , and my fave is the old "Carney" electric chair (mine is a step stool version were the kids stands on it and holds the bulb as the power lights up the bulb in their hand
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I have seen a pumpkin used. If you Google pumpkin Christian story you will find tons of stuff.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Here's an idea I couldn't make work, but you might have better results. Make a trick candle, the kind that re-light after being blown out. Sing the "this little light of mine" song. One verse is "won't let Satan blow it out ..." blow out the candle at this point. It should re-light all by itself.

You can find DYI info on making these candles. I wanted a home made candle to avoid the immediate perception that it's a trick candle and I wanted a specific color. Plus, the ready made ones I found in the dollar store weren't reliable. Like I said, I wasn't successful, but you might be!
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Such a wealth of ideas here - thanks so much for sharing all of this!
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Ideas to Illustrate "Shine Your Light" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL