The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Heading to Virgina (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm heading up to Quantico, Virgina for a week pretty soon.
I'll have a little bit of time in the evenings (meetings during the day).
Any recommendations of magic people or places to try to connect with?

Ed
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
FBI?

I beleive they and the Marines have operations in Quantico. I'm about 2.5 hours away
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Ed, I haven't been there yet myself, but I'm told that Denny and Lee's Magic Shop in Baltimore is a great brick and mortar shop and lots of magical folks gather there for regular get togethers. I plan to get there myself one of these days. Here's their website:
http://dennymagic.com/
It's about 80 miles from Quantico and about an hour and a half according to Mapquest. An easy day trip if you have time. If you go, please let me know how you made out. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Ed, sorry, I just re read and found you only have evenings available....you may want to stay an extra day just for the fun of it....best, bob

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Great call Bob1Dog

Denny's is open until 10:00 pm (or later, we've gotten Denny to open at 2:00 am but I wouldn't suggest to anyone) most nights, later on weekends and well worth the trip

Friday night is pizza night at Denny's, at 8;00 who ever is there and wants to have pizza pitches in, pizza is ordered, everyone hangs out, shoots the breeze. Some magic talk but it's not the focus of Friday's (it's guys hanging out) and there isn't a lot of sessioning but it may pop up at anytime,

There are main rooms and a side room (if you have something you're working on and only want to show a few, seats about 20) and a stage/lecture area at Denny's

Usually the second Saturday night of the month is the Denny & Lee magic club meeting, there is a membership but as a guest for a night is no charge as far as I know

Also if you are up for a great magic bar (one of the nicest bars you'll ever be in) there is http://www.illusionsmagicbar.com/ Illusions Magic Bar
Spencer Horsman is the featured performer and does great comedy magic so you might really enjoy that Ed, shows are only on Fridays and Saturday nights
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Denny's sounds great! Open 'til 10? Maybe I can snag the rental for a night (gotta share with the others) and head up there.

Ed

(PS - the Marine Base)
QED
View Profile
New user
Alexandria, VA
74 Posts

Profile of QED
I live in northern Virginia (Alexandria) and honestly, Denny's ( http://www.dennymagic.com ) is quite a haul from Quantico. But it's worth the drive if you've got the cahones...
The next nearest magic shop is Barry's in Rockville, MD, on Rockville Pike, just above D.C. - check his hours here: http://www.barrysmagicshop.com . Depending on the night, there MIGHT be something going on there, and it's a nice sized shop, and Barry & Suzie are great people. Give them a call. But, as Vick would tell you, if you really want to talk shop and hang with some real pros, Denny's is the best place to go - if you can handle the drive.
Other than that, IBM Ring 50 http://ibmring50.blogspot.com/ meets in Alexandria at the Holiday Inn on Eisenhower Ave. on first Wednesdays of every month. There are other IBM and SAM clubs (one in DC and one in Fairfax, VA I believe). If you go to the riverfront in Alexandria at the right time there might be a magician but there's a slim chance of that, but I have bumped into Noland Montgomery (DC local) down there. There are usually street musicians and balloon twisters and such on the nearby streets. Other than that, it's slim pickings. I would try to contact the local IBM & SAM people. They might be able to point you somewhere?
You also might try to contact Eric Henning through his site - he is very much plugged in to the local scene. http://www.erichenningmagic.com/
David Quidas
Alexandria, VA

I'm here to tell ya, and I don't mind tellin' ya, but I ain't sayin' nothin', if ya know what I'm sayin'...
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Hey Ed, did you ever get to Denny's?

Vick, great info about the place!

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Nope. Never got out of the city, rarely out of the hotel.
'S okay - brought a couple of magic DVDs and other things to play with.
Maybe another day ....

Ed
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I wanna get there too, I live about two hours or so away....one of these days! bob

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Heading to Virgina (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL