The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Trick Mix (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChrisPilsworth
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
74 Posts

Profile of ChrisPilsworth
Hi Everyone,

I've been presenting outdoor urban entertainment (busking)this summer and really enjoying the experience. I'll continue until the weather and crowds prevent it from happening. (I'm in Ottawa, Canada) Right now I'm thinking about what I would like to integrate into the mix for next year. I've classified tricks that I do into two categories: ones, like the rings, where there is always magic happening and others where there is a bit of time to get to the magic moment. I've tried to blend them because some people don't have the patience to wait for the big ending.

I was wondering if others have a blend or try to use exclusively tricks where there is always something happening. Even though I don't present the cups and balls on the street, I think that what makes it work so well in that environment is that people can arrive at any time an start to see magic immediately. They don't need any previous information to start getting the point.

Looking forward to your observations.

Cheers,
Chris

http://www.borntoamaze.com
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
In the United States audience on the street have the attention span of a Nat so you must always be doing something.
Max T. Oz
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Max T. Oz
Hi Chris,
We may have met a couple of times believe it or not. Possibly-Bellville?
Anyways, you're on the right track in your thinking. Here's IMHO the scoop on what your asking.
First of all, closure is a killer on the streets. So you got to structure your show so there is as little closure as possible. By this I mean, in your show you don't have for example 5 different tricks. Rather you have 1 show with 5 tricks that are somehow joined or blended together. Transitions from one trick to another. So there is always something else that the audience anticipates will happen.
For example you don't do a money trick for the sake of doing a money trick, but because it is tied in somehow with the show or something you did or will do. So you are in a way blending things together.
Of course in the end you do have closures which end the show and then hat.
Hope this makes a bit of sense.

Max T Oz
ChrisPilsworth
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
74 Posts

Profile of ChrisPilsworth
Hi Max,

Thanks for the approach. That will help quite a bit. I'll strive to create those bridges that link one effect to the next.

We could of met at a meeting in Belleville at Les' place maybe.

Cheers,
Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Trick Mix (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL