The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Not Your Mother's Jumping Knot of Pakistan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Actually, near the end of the demo clip, there is a routine that is very close to Daryl's routine, but the ending is definitely different, so I thought some might be interested in what looks like a better method for the same effect.

If you like coins though, there is a very surprising coin matrix - using clear cards for the "cover".

http://magicmovement.com/
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hi John,

I don't think it is very different, only shorter. It seems like the center of the effect was cut out. I don't have a problem with it but I don't see it as better.

- Mary Mowder
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
John,

I watched again and I was totally wrong. I must have skipped a groove. It looks great and it is different.

- Mary Mowder
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Yes, the ending fairly shows the knot moving down the rope, a little at a time, then the untying produces the different color at that location. I had to pull out my DVD to see if Daryl taught that, no.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'll stick to the props for the Daryl routine. I know that tugging on the rope, after untying the knot, is a major selling point when performing it for laymen. Otherwise, you have to hope for a very polite audience. I just see a magic routine for magicians, not one that will stand the test of time when performing for laymen.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Alan:

I'm surprised by that. To me, that ending was much cleaner, had a much more open display of the knot & surrounding rope, and seemed more startling when the knot's color was now part of the restored rope.

Yet this would seem to require a more sophisticated gimmick, which may be why you would not want it. Yet, the gimmick that I think would accomplish, is fairly common.

But then again, I've never performed Daryl's routine, and if you get good reactions to it, and like being able to hand out the rope at the end, go for it.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I will also stick with Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot but I never hand it out after. I do like the tug at the end that Alan mentioned. This guy seemed very clean in his handling on video but I'm guessing they are very knacky props to deal with live, as far as sudden jerks and clicking sounds go (unless I'm wrong about the method). Jumping Knot can be done walk-around and the reactions are very strongly positive.

Still, I admire the effect from Youtube and applaud the Performer, I wish I knew his name.

- Mary Mowder
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Today I visted "Half Price Books" and found a brand new "Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot" complete with DVD, for $1.98. I thought that was a pretty good buy. But there was only one. I might stop back later in the week and see if they get more in!

P.S. Actually, I just remembered they had 20% off on everything, so I it was closer to $1.58
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Take a look at Ken Brooke's comedy rope trick. Dean Dill does a great version on my site http://www.petebiro.com Click on VIDEO CLIPS and scroll down to see Dean.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 15:16, Mary Mowder wrote:
I will also stick with Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot but I never hand it out after. I do like the tug at the end that Alan mentioned. This guy seemed very clean in his handling on video but I'm guessing they are very knacky props to deal with live, as far as sudden jerks and clicking sounds go (unless I'm wrong about the method). Jumping Knot can be done walk-around and the reactions are very strongly positive.

Still, I admire the effect from Youtube and applaud the Performer, I wish I knew his name.

- Mary Mowder

I see your point. The method I assumed for this final part would have some issues if done close-up. Yet I would not discount this for a parlor show, any more than I would discount the walking knot effect.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Not Your Mother's Jumping Knot of Pakistan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL