The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » egg bag and egg bag video? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JeffHall
View Profile
Regular user
Davis, California
161 Posts

Profile of JeffHall
I am interested in getting an egg bag and video..What do you think of an egg bag with a zipper or one without? Which video is best?
thanks, Jeff
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
I love the Egg Bag video by Stevens Magic featuring Martin Lewis, Tom Mullica, Billy McComb, Charlie Miller and Johny Thompson.

Shine, Chris
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Magic Tim
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Magic Tim
I vote for the Stevens Magic video too.

The Malini bag is the one I've worked with and enjoyed. I have a Senor Mardo bag, like the design, but haven't taken the time to work with it yet.

If you go for the Malini bag, the "Ken Brooke & Friends" book supplies a complete, detailed routine with all the moves well illustrated.

Magic Tim Smile
http://www.timwallacemagic.com

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Duane Laflin has a routine in one of his books. You should be able to find him on the net now when doing a search.

Also, there have been some routines posted in the Linking Rings "one man parade."

Consider doing a search on the cd's if you have access to them.

Hope this helps.

John
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ed Marlo has a nice egg bag routine that ends with a beer bottle production. I believe that it predates the Mullica egg bag routine. Mullica’s routine uses a Malini bag and Marlo uses a Tarbell version (a Mardo will work).

The Marlo routine can be found in “Arcade Dreams”. Most people don’t think of Marlo as anything but a card worker. The man loved all elements of magic and his thinking and handling of many very commonplace dealers items can be seen in Arcade Dreams.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
alex keal
View Profile
New user
Whiteford, Maryland
35 Posts

Profile of alex keal
I would readily agree with Tim about the Malini egg bag. In my opinion it is the best for the bucks. I have one that I bought from Ken Brooke 25 years ago and it is still in fine shape, I also have two from Dan Tong that are excellent. The Stevens video is the way to go, or if you have the Thompson & Miller tape from Stevens, you will find the same Malini sequence there as well.
While on the subject, when it comes time to hollow out the egg, Poke one hole, insert a piece of strong wire and move it around to break the yolk. Then insert a syringe filled with water in the hole and turn the whole thing upside down, Now press home the plunger fast and the water will shoot the inside of the egg out the single hole. Do this again to wash the inside out, then sit the egg in the oven with just the pilot light on for about two hours and it will dry the inside. To fill in the hole, use powdered chalk and Elmers school glue. You can then sand it down smooth with a piece of fine sandpaper, and you will have a perfect egg. I carry my egg in a 12 inch white silk in a large medicine pill holder (I think it is about a 4 oz. size). I usually prepare 6 at a time, and have never had one break in use, only when I tried to teach someone else how to do the routine. Best of luck, the egg bag is a classic and in the right hands, VERY STRONG!
All the Best
Alex
card crazy
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
I would vote for the Malini bag; it has to be the best.

There is a very good video by Mike Austin sold by Morley Budden of Kaymar Magic on the egg bag. I would recommend it

Stephen
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
My votes? I like the Malini Egg Bag, the Stevens tape, the "Jeff Hobson Live!" tape, the Ken Brooke instructions and the Charlie Miller instructions. It's best not to copy the performers, but use the resources to help understand why they do what they do.
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

There are better routines in books than on the tapes.

The choice of egg bag depends on your personality and your style.

The Malini egg bag is great if you like a challenge aspect.

Tarbell's egg bag is a lot easier to work with.

The zipper might be useful if the gag works for you.

There are many other egg bags on the market, some produce huge amounts of eggs climaxed with a hen. Others produce the egg visible. Some bags transform into something else.

Think of how you would like your routine to look, once you know that it is easy to choose an appropriate egg bag.

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Johnny Thompson sells an egg bag made for him by Lynetta Welch at his lectures. These have features that he has learned from the masters or created himself over the years but has never tipped on video or in print. They are about as near perfect as you can get, and not only make the routine look better, but make it much easier to do. They are expensive, about $80 but worth every penny. These are available from Johnny or soon from Lynetta's website which is under construction.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Whit,
Thanks for that invaluable information. Does John sellthe routine too or only the bag?
Marty Kaplan
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Quote:
On 2002-09-12 22:33, whithaydn wrote:
Johnny Thompson sells an egg bag made for him by Lynetta Welch at his lectures. These have features that he has learned from the masters or created himself over the years but has never tipped on video or in print. They are about as near perfect as you can get, and not only make the routine look better, but make it much easier to do. They are expensive, about $80 but worth every penny. These are available from Johnny or soon from Lynetta's website which is under construction.

At Whit's suggestion, I gulped hard and ordered a bag from Lynetta.

Absolutely beautiful.

Worth 80 bucks? I think so.

Later.....
Steve
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Years ago I had an egg bag that turned inside out show plain fabric, but ended the routine turning inside out into a hen... I liked that one, but haven't seen it advertised anywhere, and of course mine is long gone Smile

I agree that the bag should suit not just your personality but your audience... a bag that turns into a dinosaur (I've seen that one) may work for kids shows, but not necessarily for adult show, unless you got some good lines to go with it... Smile

Smile
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
I also use a Malini bag with a blown egg. The lightness of the egg enables you to throw/spin the bag in the air. I like the fact that since the Malini bag is made of thin material, you can turn it inside out much faster and keep the routine moving at a good pace.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2002-11-06 11:05, yosef_dov wrote:
Years ago I had an egg bag that turned inside out show plain fabric, but ended the routine turning inside out into a hen... I liked that one, but haven't seen it advertised anywhere, and of course mine is long gone Smile

This would be the Grants Comedy Egg Bag
You can find a version here
http://www.daytonamagic.com/Comedy%20Magic/COM14.htm

Quote:
On 2003-01-28 09:46, Torkova wrote:
I also use a Malini bag with a blown egg. The lightness of the egg enables you to throw/spin the bag in the air. I like the fact that since the Malini bag is made of thin material, you can turn it inside out much faster and keep the routine moving at a good pace.

Eggsactly Eggs, a real blown egg re-enforced with a resin are a great substitute for a regular blown egg. The are just as light but much more durable which keeps you from having to continuely blow out eggs. Plus the ends are sealed so you haven't got those annoying holes to contend with.

You can get them here
http://www.wizardcraft.com/Accessories.htm
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I got a Tarbell Egg Bag, made by Pauline Tong, a while back. The workmanship is great! I've heard from a magician who uses one and he said that it still looks new after several years of use. It handles nicely, too.
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I have the Lynetta Welch bag and it's the best in my opinion. The second is one made by Jeff Busby's wife. I don't think it is even availible and wouldn't buy it if it was.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » egg bag and egg bag video? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL