The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Payment for close-up show! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Hello,Friends! Tell me please in what way you are hinting at when and how many money viewers have to pay for the show,when you work for example in Café,in front of table? This as a tip or owner of the Café pays you something too? So,please explain me how paid for your close-up work in Café? I understand all magicians have different level,but for example standard show about 15 minute. Thanks so much,Serg.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Usually the establlishment management pays the performer an hourly wage. This can also be combined with a free meal or two if you can arrange it. Tips are not expected from the customers, but occasionally you will get them.

In the US we would not do a 15 minute "show" for Café diners. We would walk around and do maybe 2 - 3 tricks per table.

Jim
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Thanks,Jim! I understand you.But how many approximate pays an hourly wage? Yes I understand each time differently,conditions are different,magicians are different,but something average???For example... Thanks,Serg.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
If I understand you correctly, how many of the restaurants pay an hourly wage? Almost all of them - 100%

Jim
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Some performers get $50.00 per hour, some get $75.00 for 2 hours. I don't know what that would be in Ukraine currency.

Some do work only for tips with that arrangement with the management. This does work against you, because the waitresses and waiters then feel you are taking money they would have possibly received for their services.

You perform your magic at the beginning after the food order is placed or at the end when they have finished their meal. If the customers are usually the same you must have a very large assortment of tricks that change weekly. If you are in a tourist area, then your magic tricks does not have to change that often.

You will be expected to have tricks that not require much if any set-up of the tricks and to keep moving from table to table. You will be also expected to help give the Café a nice reputation for a pleasant place to visit.
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Thanks,Wmhegbli for the lot of information!!! Serg.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 17:35, wmhegbli wrote:

Some do work only for tips with that arrangement with the management. This does work against you, because the waitresses and waiters then feel you are taking money they would have possibly received for their services.

That does work against other magicians in the area however. How? If you are only working for tips. and you stop performing there. If another magician comes along and wants to take your place and says he charges a fee for each night he works. The owner says "What? I had a magician here before and I didn't have to pay him anything! He worked for tips and one free meal. I'm not going to pay anyone to do magic for me." Thus that magician will not get the job. Someone else that will do it for free will.

Working for tips only kills the market for magicians.
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
I agree with you RS1963,you are right!!! Serg.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Exactly as RS1963 said!
swifthand
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of swifthand
In the UK... I think working for tips is almost unheard of, I would feel uneasy doing that, but I suppose it is the honest way of making a living and a good way of evaluating your worth.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
If your a Pro and going to work for tips only

Take off your performing hat-throw on an apron and become a waiter......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Payment for close-up show! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL